ADVERTISEMENT

Fall in love in the produce aisle: Hy-Vee is filming a dating show set in grocery stores

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Which is more romantic: the produce aisle or the meat counter?

Hy-Vee wants to find out.

In February, the West Des Moines-based grocery store chain plans to start filming a dating show series for release on Hy-Vee’s digital streaming platform, the Helpful Smiles TV network (HSTV). The first season of the show, "Love at First Bite," includes eight episodes around 10 minutes long with a different couple cast in each.

Contestants go on a blind date, and they must shop for Hy-Vee groceries before preparing a meal together, according to Sara Canady, vice president of HSTV.

Former producer for "The Bachelor" series Kristian Day is working on the series for HSTV.

More:Hy-Vee joins other grocers in lawsuit alleging price-fixing by pork processors, higher costs for consumers

“It brings the dating show concept to a new playing field with the grocery store,” Canady said. “Participants will meet at Hy-Vee for the first time, they’ll shop for groceries together, make a meal, and we’ll be able to experience what that connection looks like.”

While casting is closed, Canady said producers on the show haven’t yet locked in couples or a host for "Love at First Bite." Depending on how the series goes, Canady said HSTV might film follow-up episodes featuring couples who stayed together or showing what contestants' dating lives are like after the show.

“We like to look at what’s popular, what’s trending and how we can play into that,” Canady said about the inspiration for the "Love at First Bite" series. “We’ll see how it performs, and we are hoping for a couple seasons that we would launch each year.”

Some of the recipes that contestants will be tasked with cooking come from Hy-Vee’s "Seasons Magazine" and will be available on hy-vee.com, Canady said.

Men and women who answered the casting call come from all over the Midwest.

“The majority of applicants for this first season are from Iowa, with a good amount from the central Iowa area,” Canady said. “There are applicants from seven other Midwestern states as well.”

Hy-Vee first launched HSTV in October 2018, adopting an educational format with cooking explanations and bartending tips and tricks. Last October, the network relaunched as a dual streaming and shopping network, where viewers can directly purchase products that hosts demonstrate on the shows.

Canady said the streaming network seemed like an opportunity for the grocery store chain to connect with its customers outside of traditional advertising.

“Billions of hours are spent consuming video on platforms like YouTube and all of the social media platforms, and I think we saw that as an opportunity to engage with our consumers in a completely different way, creating content for them that would help them through their everyday lives," Canady said.

"Love at First Bite" joins 12 other web-based shows on the HSTV platform, including the popular "Cake This!" series showcasing Hy-Vee cake designers and "The Beard Behind the Bar," with Des Moines mixologist Jeff Naples.

"The Beard Behind the Bar" has been “one of our most popular shows that has been on the network since the inception,” Canady said.

This year, Canady said the network will also add a series called "Decadent Dishes on a Dime" with Tamara Day, host of HGTV’s "Bargain Mansions." Celebrity chef Fabio Viviani, who appeared on "Top Chef" in 2008, will also host a new HSTV show in February that features Italian cooking.

This was obviously thought by the same person/people who thought customers would pay $100 yearly to have a "concierge" line at Hy Vee. Who the F would use that? Who would show up to Hy Vee for a blind date? Use Tinder/Bumble like the rest of us you waste of skin.

Reactions: cigaretteman
So more ALDIs.

I was already paying for stupid chain restaurant ideas, Mahomes, and Cousins now I am paying for guys looking to get laid.

feels like a government operation, need more money to justify the marketing budget so we will need more money for the next level of marketing.

Hy-Vee wants to find out.

In February, the West Des Moines-based grocery store chain plans to start filming a dating show series for release on Hy-Vee’s digital streaming platform, the Helpful Smiles TV network (HSTV). The first season of the show, "Love at First Bite," includes eight episodes around 10 minutes long with a different couple cast in each.

Contestants go on a blind date, and they must shop for Hy-Vee groceries before preparing a meal together, according to Sara Canady, vice president of HSTV.

Former producer for "The Bachelor" series Kristian Day is working on the series for HSTV.

More:Hy-Vee joins other grocers in lawsuit alleging price-fixing by pork processors, higher costs for consumers

“It brings the dating show concept to a new playing field with the grocery store,” Canady said. “Participants will meet at Hy-Vee for the first time, they’ll shop for groceries together, make a meal, and we’ll be able to experience what that connection looks like.”

While casting is closed, Canady said producers on the show haven’t yet locked in couples or a host for "Love at First Bite." Depending on how the series goes, Canady said HSTV might film follow-up episodes featuring couples who stayed together or showing what contestants' dating lives are like after the show.

“We like to look at what’s popular, what’s trending and how we can play into that,” Canady said about the inspiration for the "Love at First Bite" series. “We’ll see how it performs, and we are hoping for a couple seasons that we would launch each year.”

Some of the recipes that contestants will be tasked with cooking come from Hy-Vee’s "Seasons Magazine" and will be available on hy-vee.com, Canady said.

Men and women who answered the casting call come from all over the Midwest.

“The majority of applicants for this first season are from Iowa, with a good amount from the central Iowa area,” Canady said. “There are applicants from seven other Midwestern states as well.”

Hy-Vee first launched HSTV in October 2018, adopting an educational format with cooking explanations and bartending tips and tricks. Last October, the network relaunched as a dual streaming and shopping network, where viewers can directly purchase products that hosts demonstrate on the shows.

Canady said the streaming network seemed like an opportunity for the grocery store chain to connect with its customers outside of traditional advertising.

“Billions of hours are spent consuming video on platforms like YouTube and all of the social media platforms, and I think we saw that as an opportunity to engage with our consumers in a completely different way, creating content for them that would help them through their everyday lives," Canady said.

"Love at First Bite" joins 12 other web-based shows on the HSTV platform, including the popular "Cake This!" series showcasing Hy-Vee cake designers and "The Beard Behind the Bar," with Des Moines mixologist Jeff Naples.

"The Beard Behind the Bar" has been “one of our most popular shows that has been on the network since the inception,” Canady said.

This year, Canady said the network will also add a series called "Decadent Dishes on a Dime" with Tamara Day, host of HGTV’s "Bargain Mansions." Celebrity chef Fabio Viviani, who appeared on "Top Chef" in 2008, will also host a new HSTV show in February that features Italian cooking.

Cringey, and my kids would say it is cringey that one would still use the word cringey. So double cringey.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
I say the meat counter.

a19b2fa2505f9771.png

The health markets were a flop. The Wahlburgers were a flop. The clothing stores were a flop.

I don’t know why they can’t just focus on selling groceries. They’re too busy trying to be hip and it’s been an epic failure.
if they are going to expand I would rather see them vertically integrate, or partner with the meat supply chain. If they could bring quality beef to the market at a materially lower price, that would generate a lot of direct and indirect sales. What you have now is average steaks at silly prices, compared to Sam’s club. My understanding is what is driving price increases are the 4 main meat packers which are behaving with monopolistic behavior at the expense of the rancher and consumer. In turn, this has created some direct sale ranchers who can process cattle. One would think hy-vee could create economies of scale to make this work. But, maybe that is not feasible. Or, maybe this is what Sam’s is doing…

if they are going to expand I would rather see them vertically integrate, or partner with the meat supply chain. If they could bring quality beef to the market at a materially lower price, that would generate a lot of direct and indirect sales. What you have now is average steaks at silly prices, compared to Sam’s club. My understanding is what is driving price increases are the 4 main meat packers which are behaving with monopolistic behavior at the expense of the rancher and consumer. In turn, this has created some direct sale ranchers who can process cattle. One would think hy-vee could create economies of scale to make this work. But, maybe that is not feasible. Or, maybe this is what Sam’s is doing…
Agree with this. I never buy steaks from HyVee when I can buy good ones at Costco for about half the price. The only things I buy from the meat counter are the value added things like the special flavored brats. The one we go to in Minnesota has doubled down on clothes and soaps that I never see anyone looking at. They could totally get rid of those and put in a better health food area. They also could put in the cooking class thing like the HyVee back in my hometown has as I could see that going over well.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT