ADVERTISEMENT

Falling down with the ball

Rj davis fell down with feet in the air and calls time out

They get the time out

They should make a rule that a player can't call a time out if they are on the ground or falling out of bounds. Should have both feet on the ground to get the TO... don't let the TO bail a player out.

Well chalk it up to home cooking obvious travel but lets give north carolina the to

It depends upon possession. If a player with possession falls on the ground without maintaining their dribble, it is a travel.

If a player without possession dives to the ground and then gains possession in the process, it isn’t a travel, even if they’re sliding,

Reactions: eyesofhawk
It depends upon possession. If a player with possession falls on the ground without maintaining their dribble, it is a travel.

If a player without possession dives to the ground and then gains possession in the process, it isn’t a travel, even if they’re sliding,
So davis just fell down on his own picked up his dribble to avoid losing the ball bench calls to and was rewarded the to did the refs feel bad he fell down on his own?

...and double dribble, and 3 seconds, and over the back...
I hate that this wasn't something I just naturally learned either from coaches or watching the game, and had to instead be corrected on what my understanding of the rule was, which is also a commentary about the call and enforcement of the call itself..........................but over-the-back is an often misconstrued rule.

It's all about contact and verticality. A player in front of another does not have the right to jump backwards into another player to get a rebound, if that other player has established his own space (think of the cylinder rule).

I've seen refs bail out players in this case a time or two before as well.

And that doesn't mean that the player behind can't still then change his position to create contact that impacts the player in front to where a foul could be warranted (for example when both are coming down with the ball).....but more often than not if two players are going straight up for a ball, and the player in front has to lean back for it, a foul should not be called automatically just because there's contact.

Nor should there be a foul if a taller player simply outjumps another player in front for a rebound without making contact that impacts their ability to make a play on the ball.

Yet in spite of these revelations over the years, it still remains one of the more contentious rules, amongst fans, in the game.

So davis just fell down on his own picked up his dribble to avoid losing the ball bench calls to and was rewarded the to did the refs feel bad he fell down on his own?
I didn’t see the play. Did he stop his dribble while stationary after going to the ground with dribble maintained or while/before going to the ground? Just being on the ground with the ball isn’t a travel itself.

I hate that this wasn't something I just naturally learned either from coaches or watching the game, and had to instead be corrected on what my understanding of the rule was, which is also a commentary about the call and enforcement of the call itself..........................but over-the-back is an often misconstrued rule.

It's all about contact and verticality. A player in front of another does not have the right to jump backwards into another player to get a rebound, if that other player has established his own space (think of the cylinder rule).

I've seen refs bail out players in this case a time or two before as well.

And that doesn't mean that the player behind can't still then change his position to create contact that impacts the player in front to where a foul could be warranted (for example when both are coming down with the ball).....but more often than not if two players are going straight up for a ball, and the player in front has to lean back for it, a foul should not be called automatically just because there's contact.

Nor should there be a foul if a taller player simply outjumps another player in front for a rebound without making contact that impacts their ability to make a play on the ball.

Yet in spite of these revelations over the years, it still remains one of the more contentious rules, amongst fans, in the game.
and yet it was called all the time. Over the back may not have been the right term for it but it appears to be a foul most of the time and it's not called like it used to be

Nope.
Hasn't been traveling for a long time.
I'd prefer to go back to the time before you could slide halfway across the floor with the ball and call the time out.
Or if you're Indiana/Holmes, you can sit on the ball and scoot across the floor and when we go to grab the ball, it's a jump ball lol

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
They should make a rule that a player can't call a time out if they are on the ground or falling out of bounds. Should have both feet on the ground to get the TO... don't let the TO bail a player out.
They did have such a rule, at least an enforced one, for about one or two OOC seasons.

Now, players are allowed the timeout while falling out of bounds all the time again.

Absolutely a travel. Just wasn't called. Both of his feet hit the floor and immediately he fell backwards lifting both feet off the ground. Literally took a fraction of a second. There is no way he or anyone else had time to call a time out. It doesn't matter that he hadn't establish a pivot foot because he could technically use either as such, but since both feet left the floor it's a travel.

I don't know how the refs can give them a TO when our players had a hand on the ball. It's a jump ball

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Remember when “palming the ball” or ‘carrying’ the ball was called?

Different era now.

(Loved those old “peach baskets” too!)

College men - very rarely they call traveling. They also got rid of palming/carrying.

College women - they call a lot more traveling.

NBA - they don’t call traveling or palming…..no matter what.

They did have such a rule, at least an enforced one, for about one or two OOC seasons.

Now, players are allowed the timeout while falling out of bounds all the time again.
That was going to be a point of emphasis for the refs, but like all the point of emphasis rules, it was enforced briefly and then forgotten.

If you are on the floor with the ball it's traveling period. Just call it. The other thing i frinkin can't stand is when the offensive guy lowers his shoulder down in the blocks and plows in to the chest of the .defender. never a charge.

Reactions: HawkBall23
If you are on the floor with the ball it's traveling period. Just call it. The other thing i frinkin can't stand is when the offensive guy lowers his shoulder down in the blocks and plows in to the chest of the .defender. never a charge.
It happens all over the floor, but most times when a whistle happens after the offensive player either barrels into a defender or throws his body at the defense to create contact, its 99% of the time called against the defense.

That's either a 'play on' or correctly call the person who initiated/caused the need you felt to blow your whistle.

Drives me insane.

(although I will say that the refs did a great job of not erroneously calling a bunch of fouls on Iowa when PSU did just that continuously last night)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT