ADVERTISEMENT

fallout begins...everybody thank mr warren

Many more to come at other schools in the Big 10, and cancellation of football at some non Power 5 schools and in the FCS as well. Not here to point blame, I'm sure other will. But there are ramifications to "pushing pause" on things. None of the people making the decisions about no fall college sports will be losing their jobs or having their way of life altered. That doesn't sit right with me.

I can't believe Warren won't meet with the parents.
I don't know Mr Warren, but I believe I would consider comparing him to my mothers old douche bag. ;) If he's man enough to decide the fate of a complete football season, while sitting by letting his son play in the SEC, then he should be man enough to explain to the parents of young adults who want to play. This Warren guy is a pussy and should be treated accordingly. ;)

Crew has to as it's the offset to football scholarships from a Title IX standpoint. A lot of scholarships for women's crew (39) at a relatively low cost compared to other women's sports.
I know but it’s ridiculous. 39 women get full rides for basically a made up sport. Maybe some swimmers will move over to it. Upper body strength would be a big plus.

This does fall on Warren!! I hope he enjoys his seat! Even if the season or academics would not of made it a full process you have to try it to push through...

It may or may not be his fault. At this point no one knows as neither he or the presidents are saying anything of substance. He ultimately works for the presidents. What is unclear is if they were following his guidance or if he's having to be the face of a decision he doesn't agree with. Either way, how the Big 10 has handled this is very bad. If the SEC, Big 12 and ACC are able to play a fall season, it will set the conference back tremendously. That is a big if, of course. But the conference will be negative recruited against like crazy if that happens.

It may or may not be his fault. At this point no one knows as neither he or the presidents are saying anything of substance. He ultimately works for the presidents. What is unclear is if they were following his guidance or if he's having to be the face of a decision he doesn't agree with. Either way, how the Big 10 has handled this is very bad. If the SEC, Big 12 and ACC are able to play a fall season, it will set the conference back tremendously. That is a big if, of course. But the conference will be negative recruited against like crazy if that happens.
I give the other conferences credit for trying.

cancelling everything is easy and doesn’t stop the spread of Covid on bit.

I know but it’s ridiculous. 39 women get full rides for basically a made up sport. Maybe some swimmers will move over to it. Upper body strength would be a big plus.

It's an Olympic sport. Not made up. It's a lot of scholarships yes but title IX and Iowa has done well in recent years training newcomers to the sport

I get what you are saying and won’t disagree yet... I don’t feel Delaney would have let this situation get to this level. When you step in to that position you are the face and a target based upon decisions unfortunately.

Reactions: Purdue80
It's an Olympic sport. Not made up. It's a lot of scholarships yes but title IX and Iowa has done well in recent years training newcomers to the sport
So is rhythm gymnastics.

seems to me bumping scholarships for women’s swimming would make a lot more sense than women’s crew.

The men's gymnastics and swimming programs have long storied histories. There are fewer than 20 Div 1 men's gymnastics programs left.

I don't get why they're getting rid of swimming. We spent millions on the new pool for them, we aren't going to be getting rid of that. The primary costs that they will be getting rid of are coaching, scholarships, travel, and recruiting. Which aren't cheap, but aren't horribly expensive when you consider the cost of maintaining an olympic quality pool that we won't be getting rid of.

It will be interesting to see the title 9 implications here. 3 men's programs vanishing and only 1 women's program. Doesn't really seem equitable. Why are we not getting rid of women's gymnastics or women's tennis too? Gymnastics is the last varsity sport left in the fieldhouse. Getting rid of both teams would make the hospital happy as it would be one step closer to tearing down the fieldhouse so that they can have more expansion space. I'm not a fan of that at all, but you know hospital leadership would be in love with that idea.

Reactions: Pete in LA
The men's gymnastics and swimming programs have long storied histories. There are fewer than 20 Div 1 men's gymnastics programs left.

I don't get why they're getting rid of swimming. We spent millions on the new pool for them, we aren't going to be getting rid of that. The primary costs that they will be getting rid of are coaching, scholarships, travel, and recruiting. Which aren't cheap, but aren't horribly expensive when you consider the cost of maintaining an olympic quality pool that we won't be getting rid of.

It will be interesting to see the title 9 implications here. 3 men's programs vanishing and only 1 women's program. Doesn't really seem equitable. Why are we not getting rid of women's gymnastics or women's tennis too? Gymnastics is the last varsity sport left in the fieldhouse. Getting rid of both teams would make the hospital happy as it would be one step closer to tearing down the fieldhouse so that they can have more expansion space. I'm not a fan of that at all, but you know hospital leadership would be in love with that idea.

Tough to do when football scholarships count on the mens side.

You will see this from other schools. I fear whole FCS athletic departments going under.

Do you not understand Title 9?

Reactions: CyberJJ
Many more to come at other schools in the Big 10, and cancellation of football at some non Power 5 schools and in the FCS as well. Not here to point blame, I'm sure other will. But there are ramifications to "pushing pause" on things. None of the people making the decisions about no fall college sports will be losing their jobs or having their way of life altered. That doesn't sit right with me.
Maybe Mr Warren should be furloughed until football resumes, whenever that is. Maybe he would have approached things differently then. Oh' but its OK for his son to play in the SEC.... Okay then.....

Reactions: pmtdc and hawkcub
Tough to do when football scholarships count on the mens side.

You will see this from other schools. I fear whole FCS athletic departments going under.
Fcs schools don’t make money from sports to begin with. They rely on student activity fees and often state help. Uni total athletic budget is around $14 million. Many sports at uni don’t even give scholarships and many others certainly don’t use all they could. They could shut down and fire back up with a fundraising campaign if they need to.

Uni wasn’t giving scholarships for baseball when they had it. Men’s golf gives no scholarships. I think the guy that coaches golf at UNI makes less than $40k a year so you are talking about a few women’s scholarships and some gas for vans.

The massive cuts will be the power 5 schools because of the insane money football brings in. The rest of the colleges already were very tight with their money.

just killing sports at small D1 schools has disastrous ramifications when it comes to bringing visitors to campus which means possible future students.

Correct, on all your comments.
There will be many conferences/ schools dropping sports. Wrestling is an easy target for most schools. ( Stanford, Old Dominion, etc). Sad to say more wrestling programs and “ minor/ on revenue sports will be cut across the country. Sad, but a reality.
Since America is feeling the loss of jobs, it may be time for the universities to feel some of the pain many have been faced with the last 5-6 months. That includes collegiate admin and profs! Many schools are forced to shutdown, kids at home/ online etc. Times are tough, maybe it’s time for everyone to feel the pain. ( sad to say that)! Many businesses are facing bankruptcy, many people are going to lose their homes. Another way to look at it, a Radiologist takes 13 years to be Board Certified after graduating from high school. What’s one semester in the realm of the big picture. That puts it in perspective as WE dive into what is Essential and jobs that are Non Essential. So, if the B1G can’t play football/ sports due to the virus, WE don’t need 30,000- 50,000 on campuses. Since I’m a former math teacher/ coach....just doing some simple math. Yes, this sucks. It’s hard to imagine Iowa dropping swimming/ diving. We have gone from NCAA / B1G swimming ( hosting) to dropping the program. Sad, but reality. In spite of the cushy jobs at universities, maybe it’s time to run our universities more like a business.

Reactions: wein31
So is rhythm gymnastics.

seems to me bumping scholarships for women’s swimming would make a lot more sense than women’s crew.
It is completely a financial scenario, coaching for swimming and building infrastructure are likely much more costly for swimming than using the river for crew.

If he's man enough to decide the fate of a complete football season, while sitting by letting his son play in the SEC, …...
His son is an adult college student. His adult college student son can make up his own mind. People would flip shit if any other parent showed up at practice and yanked their 19 year old son off the field against his wishes.

For the life of me, I don't understand what it is so hard about figuring out that Kevin Warren has two separate and distinct roles here: Commissioner of the B10 and Parent. The decisions he makes as Commissioner are distinct from the decisions he is able to make as a parent and vice-versa.

…. and he isn't sitting idly by. Warren has publically stated that his family have had difficult discussions concerning the matter.

Any chance these can be brought back in the future assuming we play football again at some point. Strange to have the best swimming and diving pool in the big ten without any teams

Reactions: CaboKP
How about tennis? I thought they had been getting better and the HTRC seems like a great facility.

If there were no ramifications for Title IX and Iowa had to get rid of 4 sports, I would cut:
- Women's rowing
- Men's gymnastics
- Women's gymnastics
- Women's tennis

... or just cut volleyball because we continue to get better and better but can't crack the middle of the Big Ten with how ridiculously good of a conference it is.

Oh man. That is tough. I’m sure we’ll see other schools have to make those same choices.

Nebraska has said they will not cut any sports, this year, but did announce today that 51 athletic department staffers will be furloughed from September 1 through December 31 and all other athletic department personnel will receive a 10% salary reduction. The cuts are in addition to a June announcement that included the elimination of 17 positions and a 10% reduction in total expenditures.

The training table will also be shut down beginning Monday. Athletes living off-campus will get more money in their scholarship checks and those to cover food expenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT