ADVERTISEMENT

Fan theory: Chris Kingsbury is the most pivotal player in program history

hawktrooper1

HR All-State
Jan 5, 2017
B1G Network just replayed the 1995 game between Iowa and UCONN (starring Ray Allen) that Iowa won in the Great Alaska Shootout in overtime 101-95.

Our man Kenyon Murray made a key bucket under 30 seconds to ice the game.

Andre Woolridge and Jess Settles were total ballers.

But Kingsbury dropped 30 and went 5-for-11 from 3, including a clutch 3 from 30 feet in overtime.

The announcer was struggling to explain how far behind the 3-point line that he was.

Kingsbury could have and should have been the original Steph Curry. But things didn’t end well for him at Iowa and it pretty much started the movement to get Tom Davis out.

Then enter Steve Alford, Lickliter, Fran and so on.

My thought is Kingsbury could’ve been the guy that finally moved Iowa to the upper echelon of college basketball, but him flaming out was the straw that broke Tom Davis’s back and the program has just now recovered in the past few years.

I still have my Kingsbury jersey.

He is the reason that when we are in the gym for recess....I dish out killers to students like it a side gig by nailing 30 foot three pointers.

I'll never forget watching him shoot half courters in the UNI Dome before their game like he was shooting a free throw.

I'll take Ronnie Lester over, well...everyone. I think Iowa was 16-1 in games he played his senior year, since he missed much of the middle of the season with the knee injury. Pivotal players make everyone around them better...that's what Lester did. He controlled the game and made sure the ball got where it was supposed to go so his teammates could be successful.

B1G Network just replayed the 1995 game between Iowa and UCONN (starring Ray Allen) that Iowa won in the Great Alaska Shootout in overtime 101-95.

But Kingsbury dropped 30 and went 5-for-11 from 3, including a clutch 3 from 30 feet in overtime.

The announcer was struggling to explain how far behind the 3-point line that he was.

Kingsbury could have and should have been the original Steph Curry. But things didn’t end well for him at Iowa and it pretty much started the movement to get Tom Davis out.

My thought is Kingsbury could’ve been the guy that finally moved Iowa to the upper echelon of college basketball, but him flaming out was the straw that broke Tom Davis’s back and the program has just now recovered in the past few years.
Would have, could have, should have. CK was pure entertainment, and he shoot us out of games as much as shoot you into winning one. Pivotal? No. Lester, the trio of Marble/Horton/BJ. Luka/Keegan being back to back NPOTY candidates could have really moved the needle, we don't know yet.....

I'll take Ronnie Lester over, well...everyone. I think Iowa was 16-1 in games he played his senior year, since he missed much of the middle of the season with the knee injury. Pivotal players make everyone around them better...that's what Lester did. He controlled the game and made sure the ball got where it was supposed to go so his teammates could be successful.

Iowas 86-87 squad would run the 1980 team to death

Iowas 86-87 squad would run the 1980 team to death
I think you are wrong....the 79-80 team with Lester healthy beats that team. It's not a fair comparison though...they played under different rules. There was no shot clock in 1980...so you could really work your half court offense and keep the ball forever. That's why the game was pretty much over if Iowa had a lead with 3-4 minutes left...they held the ball and shot free throws at a high percentage.

So you are going to press Ronnie Lester full court like the 86-87 team did. Every game was a track meet as it's what Dr. Tom wanted...chaos and an up and down game. Let me tell you what happens when you press Lester...he beats you off the dribble and drops dimes for easy buckets the entire game.

Sure...the 86-87 team had a ton of talent...but they didn't have size...Ed Horton was the only player that was physical down low. Brookins, Boyle, Waite, and Krafcisin would have pounded the glass and the game would have been played more in the half court is my take, especially if there was no shot clock.

79-80 Roster: Lester, Arnold, Brookins, Boyle, & Krafcisin (key reserves Hansen, Gannon, Waite)
86-87 Roster: Armstrong, Marble, Horton, Gamble, and Lohaus (key reserves Wright, Moe, Jones).

Here are my other takes:
1) Lute Olson would outcoach Dr. Tom every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

2) Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold would easily get the better of BJ Armstrong and Roy Marble. You have to remember, Armstrong and Marble were sophomores...Lester was a senior and Arnold a junior. Lester and Arnold were great defensive guards. Where Armstrong was at that time...he wasn't in Lester's league yet.

3) The 79-80 was just flat out the tougher team defensively. Boyle and Brookins could both play physical and tenacious defense...and although Horton would have been a tough guard because he was a beast...he was still just a soph too...Lohaus was a perimeter big so he might have stretched the floor...but they were getting nothing down low.

4) I would agree the 86-87 team was more athletic...but the guards and forwards on the 79-80 team could get after you defensively. Boyle was Defensive Player of the Year I believe one year...Brookins was a bad man.

I think you are wrong....the 79-80 team with Lester healthy beats that team. It's not a fair comparison though...they played under different rules. There was no shot clock in 1980...so you could really work your half court offense and keep the ball forever. That's why the game was pretty much over if Iowa had a lead with 3-4 minutes left...they held the ball and shot free throws at a high percentage.

So you are going to press Ronnie Lester full court like the 86-87 team did. Every game was a track meet as it's what Dr. Tom wanted...chaos and an up and down game. Let me tell you what happens when you press Lester...he beats you off the dribble and drops dimes for easy buckets the entire game.

Sure...the 86-87 team had a ton of talent...but they didn't have size...Ed Horton was the only player that was physical down low. Brookins, Boyle, Waite, and Krafcisin would have pounded the glass and the game would have been played more in the half court is my take, especially if there was no shot clock.

79-80 Roster: Lester, Arnold, Brookins, Boyle, & Krafcisin (key reserves Hansen, Gannon, Waite)
86-87 Roster: Armstrong, Marble, Horton, Gamble, and Lohaus (key reserves Wright, Moe, Jones).

Here are my other takes:

2) Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold would easily get the better of BJ Armstrong and Roy Marble. You have to remember, Armstrong and Marble were sophomores...Lester was a senior and Arnold a junior. Lester and Arnold were great defensive guards. Where Armstrong was at that time...he wasn't in Lester's league yet.

3) The 79-80 was just flat out the tougher team defensively. Boyle and Brookins could both play physical and tenacious defense...and although Horton would have been a tough guard because he was a beast...he was still just a soph too...Lohaus was a perimeter big so he might have stretched the floor...but they were getting nothing down low.

4) I would agree the 86-87 team was more athletic...but the guards and forwards on the 79-80 team could get after you defensively. Boyle was Defensive Player of the Year I believe one year...Brookins was a bad man.
I agree that the games were different, shot clock, 3 pt shot, etc.

For a team that lacked size the Davis team rebounded well, outrebounded opponents by 12 a game, made more free throws than the other team attempted, 7 players who made the NBA and had 4 Parade All Americans. It definitely would be an interesting game. Would we get Final Four Lute or Toledo, Wichita State, Idaho Lute.
Vince was fun to watch play, flat, line drive jumper….

Poor recruiting ultimately is what did in Dr. Tom. In far too many instances he was willing to settle for a project instead of putting in the work to get a top recruit.

Chris Kingsbury certainly failed to live up to his potential. However, I think the death of Chris Street was more impactful. Iowa made the NCAA tournament in each of Chris’ seasons at Iowa. In what would have been Chris’ senior year, the team didn’t come even come close to making the tourney.

If Chris had survived, his senior year the rotation would have been:

Smith - PG
Glasper - PG
Murray - Wing
Bartels - Wing
Kingsbury - Wing
Settles - Forward
Winters - Forward
Street - Big
Millard - Big

(I know Smith flunked out after his junior year, but I always felt that was related to Chris passing.)

Not a lot of size or great point guard play on that potential squad, but I think that’s for sure a tourney team. They would have had athletic wings, frontcourt players who can really score, excellent rebounding and strong outside shooting. It would have been great to see Winters play the 4 spot, his natural position he never really got to play. I also think having Chris’ leadership in the program for another year-plus would have benefitted greatly guys Smith, Kingsbury and Millard.

At the time he passed, Chris was extending his shooting range out to the three-point line. I think if he was able to finish his college career and continue to develop his skills, there was a chance he could get picked toward the end of the first round of the NBA draft. Back-to-back first round picks in the draft (along with Acie Earl) certainly would have helped in recruiting.

The program definitely lost some momentum and it took a few seasons for them to get back to the tournament. Dr. Tom still might have gotten himself fired with his poor recruiting, but I think there was a greater chance he would have held on longer and potentially spared us the awful Alford and Lickliter years.

For a team that lacked size the Davis team rebounded well, outrebounded opponents by 12 a game, made more free throws than the other team attempted, 7 players who made the NBA and had 4 Parade All Americans. It definitely would be an interesting game. Would we get Final Four Lute or Toledo, Wichita State, Idaho Lute.
Not sure what you are talking about with schools above. Neither Lute or Tom coached at any of these places??? Lute went from Long Beach for 8-10 years straight to Iowa (after 11 years as a high school coach).

• Haha
Reactions: natewantofbees
Poor recruiting ultimately is what did in Dr. Tom. In far too many instances he was willing to settle for a project instead of putting in the work to get a top recruit.

Chris Kingsbury certainly failed to live up to his potential. However, I think the death of Chris Street was more impactful. Iowa made the NCAA tournament in each of Chris’ seasons at Iowa. In what would have been Chris’ senior year, the team didn’t come even come close to making the tourney.

Smith - PG
Glasper - PG
Murray - Wing
Bartels - Wing
Kingsbury - Wing
Settles - Forward
Winters - Forward
Street - Big
Millard - Big

(I know Smith flunked out after his junior year, but I always felt that was related to Chris passing.)

Not a lot of size or great point guard play on that potential squad, but I think that’s for sure a tourney team. They would have had athletic wings, frontcourt players who can really score, excellent rebounding and strong outside shooting. It would have been great to see Winters play the 4 spot, his natural position he never really got to play. I also think having Chris’ leadership in the program for another year-plus would have benefitted greatly guys Smith, Kingsbury and Millard.

At the time he passed, Chris was extending his shooting range out to the three-point line. I think if he was able to finish his college career and continue to develop his skills, there was a chance he could get picked toward the end of the first round of the NBA draft. Back-to-back first round picks in the draft (along with Acie Earl) certainly would have helped in recruiting.

The program definitely lost some momentum and it took a few seasons for them to get back to the tournament. Dr. Tom still might have gotten himself fired with his poor recruiting, but I think there was a greater chance he would have held on longer and potentially spared us the awful Alford and Lickliter years.
Chris Street should definitely be included in the greatest “what ifs” of Iowa basketball. I assume that’s what the OP is getting at - if Kingsbury had reached his potential, Iowa’s next 10-20 years would have been potentially really dramatically different. Given it could have led to not firing Tom Davis, I can see the point. As others have pointed out, maybe if Ronnie Lester had stayed healthy then maybe Lute wouldn’t have left for Arizona and then Iowa basketball could have been really different.

Smith - PG
Glasper - PG
Murray - Wing
Bartels - Wing
Kingsbury - Wing
Settles - Forward
Winters - Forward
Street - Big
Millard - Big

This^

The ‘92-‘93 Iowa squad was a legitimate top ten team. The passing of Chris Street was devastating to the program.

Reactions: littlez
Chris Kingsbury was a lifetime 35% 3-pt shooter. He barely shot 40% from the 2. He really liked to jack up shots from anywhere but he wasn't the best 3-pt shooter at Iowa, by far. I don't know that he impacted the game that much, but he would have if he had been more serious about his preparation and conditioning.

Jordan Bohannon, in comparison, shot almost 40% from the 3 and his range was at least as good. The 3 pt line was deeper for Bohannon (not that it mattered). Bohannon only shot 36.6% from the 2 so Kingsbury had him there by a few points ;) I know this is controversial, but I would have to give Jordan the nod over Kingsbury when it comes to who I'd rather have take that shot at the end of the game.

Of course, There are many former Hawks who were as good as or better in that position. Ronnie and Keegan to name a few.

Reactions: skydog0784

Here are my other takes:

Are you forgetting Brad Lohaus? He was on the 86-87 team and last I checked he was kinda tall.

No...I didn't forget Lohaus. I had this in the post..."Lohaus was a perimeter big so he might have stretched the floor...but they were getting nothing down low."

Lohaus was a good player, but he wasn't a great post player...and he wasn't physical. Both Waite and Krafcisin were strong and physical...and decent defenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
No...I didn't forget Lohaus. I had this in the post..."Lohaus was a perimeter big so he might have stretched the floor...but they were getting nothing down low."

Lohaus was a good player, but he wasn't a great post player...and he wasn't physical. Both Waite and Krafcisin were strong and physical...and decent defenders.
I would take the less physical 86-87 team on the glass. Once again, different styles and games but out rebounding the opposition by 12 each game indicates some post/lane ability.

Chris Kingsbury was a lifetime 35% 3-pt shooter. He barely shot 40% from the 2. He really liked to jack up shots from anywhere but he wasn't the best 3-pt shooter at Iowa, by far. I don't know that he impacted the game that much, but he would have if he had been more serious about his preparation and conditioning.

Jordan Bohannon, in comparison, shot almost 40% from the 3 and his range was at least as good. The 3 pt line was deeper for Bohannon (not that it mattered). Bohannon only shot 36.6% from the 2 so Kingsbury had him there by a few points ;) I know this is controversial, but I would have to give Jordan the nod over Kingsbury when it comes to who I'd rather have take that shot at the end of the game.

Of course, There are many former Hawks who were as good as or better in that position. Ronnie and Keegan to name a few.
I’ve had that same thought before (that JBo was a lot like Kingsbury and in some ways better). But you have to give credit to Kingsbury for being way ahead of his time. Kids these days have grown up developing that range on their 3s. In the mid-90s nobody was doing that.

Reactions: HawkAlum2002

WTF?

I still have my Kingsbury jersey.

He is the reason that when we are in the gym for recess....I dish out killers to students like it a side gig by nailing 30 foot three pointers.

I'll never forget watching him shoot half courters in the UNI Dome before their game like he was shooting a free throw.
Wasn’t he a legendary chain smoker? Seem to recall him out in IC some years back and he was just cranking those heaters out like no one’s business .

JJ and Downtown , Ralph Miller’s six pac, is still the finest offensive unit the Hawks have put on the floor in my lifetime. They stepped on the court and you could count on100 points before the 3 ball was in effect. Plenty of other guys and teams I have loved, but they were remarkable

Talk about what if's, I believe that I. Thomas was going to be in Iowa City as a Hawk but changed his mind at the last minute and played for the scumbag at Indiana. He loved Ronnie Lester. Patrick Ewing had the Hawks in his top 5, I believe.

Re: OP's post- Probably one of the dumbest "theories" in the history of this board, which is saying a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey
Not a theory. I was alive, I knew how to read a newspaper and listened to the radio. Plus, the rumors were hot and heavy in Iowa City. Ewing may be a reach, but it was true. Thomas most definitely was true.

Reactions: mazda1
Not a theory. I was alive, I knew how to read a newspaper and listened to the radio. Plus, the rumors were hot and heavy in Iowa City. Ewing may be a reach, but it was true. Thomas most definitely was true.
I was referring to the OP's theory

Yeah...Vinnie in the Fieldhouse...banking 20 foot jumpers from the wing with that flat arch...a lost art. Vinnie was a tough dude too...he played bigger than 6'6" for sure.

It's just really hard to compare the two teams because of the rule differences (shot clock and three point line). Lester, Arnold, Brookins, Hansen...and Gannon could all handle the three point range...so it would have been interesting to see how Lute would have changed the offense. I just think a healthy Lester made that team go...and he gave them the leadership to win close games...hence the Final Four.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
JJ and Downtown , Ralph Miller’s six pac, is still the finest offensive unit the Hawks have put on the floor in my lifetime. They stepped on the court and you could count on100 points before the 3 ball was in effect. Plenty of other guys and teams I have loved, but they were remarkable
This...listen...I didn't bring this team up because the comparison was to the 80' and 86-87' teams but this team may have been the best Iowa team ever. They got beat in a game that had some really questionable calls against Artis Gilmore and Jacksonville State. They may have won the NC as Jacksonville got to the Championship.

Downtown Freddy Brown was incredible...John Johnson could do it all. What a great team that was.

This...listen...I didn't bring this team up because the comparison was to the 80' and 86-87' teams but this team may have been the best Iowa team ever. They got beat in a game that had some really questionable calls against Artis Gilmore and Jacksonville State. They may have won the NC as Jacksonville got to the Championship.

Downtown Freddy Brown was incredible...John Johnson could do it all. What a great team that was.
100+ for a B1G season was incredible. The beat down of Notre Dame as well. Penbrooke Burroughs III......uggghhhh and for some reason my Mom never liked Downtown, loved JJ. Still have my ruler with the players and the scores on it.

Talk about what if's, I believe that I. Thomas was going to be in Iowa City as a Hawk but changed his mind at the last minute and played for the scumbag at Indiana. He loved Ronnie Lester. Patrick Ewing had the Hawks in his top 5, I believe.
I think we were second on Terry Cumming's list as well.

Here are my other takes:

The 79/80 got it done, the 86/87 didn't. So the 79/80 teams wins ... in my heart.

But, my head says the 86/87 wins the match-up. They were not just more athletic, they were a LOT more athletic. Faster, quicker to the ball. Went 9 or 10 deep easy. The press would take a toll on Lute's shorter bench.

If you watch the 1980 FF game against Georgetown, and then watch the 86/87 team against, well, anybody - it's just a different game (I don't mean the rules). Coach Rav brought in a tremendous amount of speed and talent, and Davis was the perfect guy to coach them.

I wasn't in school til 4-5 years later, but the rumor was the freshman team could be varsity that year. And Connie could dunk a ball with one hand and catch it with the other and dunk again in one jump.

I’ve had that same thought before (that JBo was a lot like Kingsbury and in some ways better). But you have to give credit to Kingsbury for being way ahead of his time. Kids these days have grown up developing that range on their 3s. In the mid-90s nobody was doing that.
He was different in that he shot from way, way downtown. But as others pointed out, being a 35% 3-point shooter and having zero game inside the paint is not a great player. He was unique due to him taking some long shots and being a fiery competitor. But he was not a great player or even close to it.

ADVERTISEMENT