ADVERTISEMENT

Fans will be in Kinnick this Fall. Only Question is How Many. By End of May, Anyone who wants Vaccinated will have likely Gotten the Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure, what are the stats for 33 year olds without pre existing conditions that have died in a ladder or car accident?
Gee, I wonder why that data isn't released. Assuming a normal distribution among the 337 traffic deaths (even though it should be skewed higher towards younger people), higher than how many 30'ish people have died in Iowa due to COIVD.

The fact that you're trying to argue this point is laughable and sad at the same time.

Assuming a normal distribution among the 337 traffic deaths (even though it should be skewed higher towards younger people), higher than how many 30'ish people have died in Iowa due to COIVD.
Ok good work, now what about all the other people on the road or lives that were affected by the crashes and deaths? What about other people like parents and older relatives? It is ok, I know you will get there eventually. I did.

Gee, I wonder why that data isn't released. Assuming a normal distribution among the 337 traffic deaths (even though it should be skewed higher towards younger people), higher than how many 30'ish people have died in Iowa due to COIVD.
Were any of these caused by road hazards, alcohol, distracted driving? You know, a pre existing condition to what causes accidents for drivers?

Ok good work, now what about all the other people on the road or lives that were affected by the crashes and deaths? What about other people like parents and older relatives? It is ok, I know you will get there eventually. I did.
That's not what we're talking about here, is it? The post you quoted me on dealt with risk associated with myself going to a game this fall without a vaccine (which I'll get btw). The risk isn't about what other people will be affected since vulnerable people are or will be vaccinated in the next month.

Stop moving the goalposts and just admit your first comment was idiotic.

The fact that you're trying to argue this point is laughable and sad at the same time.
Hey man, you are the one that brought it up. I just pointed out the statistics.

That's not what we're talking about here, is it? The post you quoted me on dealt with risk associated with myself going to a game this fall without a vaccine (which I'll get btw). The risk isn't about what other people will be affected since vulnerable people are or will be vaccinated in the next month.

You moved the goalposts man, it is ok, I used to do it too.

My point is that vulnerable people are being lead down a path that is misguided to them. They should get vaccinated, but not all will because they have heard it is bad from family or news or articles. When in fact, it has been exactly opposite. There is more risk in driving a car to a game or getting on a ladder than taking a vaccine.

You are right, of course, but you are arguing with willfully ignorant people who choose to believe and spread outright lies and misinformation. They can get away with this normally BUT with a virus like this, it can mean life or death. Eventually these idiots will either get vaccinated or they will find their health compromised down the road. Plain and simple. Darwin's theory will bear out, and these people are future winners of the Darwin Award.

I'm not saying it isn't real; I had it. I was sick. I've been sick in a very similar fashion about two dozen times in my life.
Here are the facts from the CDC;
US population as of 2020: 331,000,000
Covid cases from their website: 28,514,774 (8.6% of the population)
Deaths with covid from their website: 515,277 (1.8% of actual cases, 0.15% of the population)

To call this a "life or death" situation is a bit dramatic, and IMO an overreaction.
The reaction to this situation has killed a very large number of people as well: mental health issues, ailments that couldn't be treated due to appointment restrictions, child abuse, etc.
So many people treat this like a situation where if you're anywhere near anyone who's heard of Covid, you're going to die. Yes, it's serious, and can be deadly for some--majorly overwhelmingly the elderly/sick--but for the hugely massive majority of us, this isn't going to be a big deal. A lot of people are just sick of what they feel is a massive over-reach and overreaction that is doing damage on a level that is arguably just as bad as the virus.

If they decide to require immunization evidence to get in, not sure how they could let anyone under 16 in since no Vax is approved for under 16 yet and have not heard of any being close.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
You moved the goalposts man, it is ok, I used to do it too.
Lol, I'm not sure if you're trolling now of just stupid.

You commented on my post about assuming risk by going to a game this fall unvaccinated (I will be, but that is besides the point. You tried to justify your stupid claim with total deaths in Iowa, because you're either under the assumption I'm 70+ or you just were too lazy to try and determine what risk bracket I'm in by asking.

Here is a hint, total deaths for 30-39 age bracket is 1.1% according to the CDC. That's including pre-exiting conditions people have and people so sick they're dying with or without COVID. Healthy 30-39 year olds are not dying from COIVD in any statistical way. It's an extreme outlier, and why it makes national news when it happens. You're probably not even going to be on the local news if die in a car accident at 33.

Wear a mask, be courteous, get the vaccine, but stop the hyperbolic bullshit. The type of stupidity we're talking about here is why you have people thinking its a hoax and become antivaxxers.

Last edited:
You did not answer any of my questions. How many have died since the outset of vaccines have started?

Also, heart issues, lung issues, etc have been linked to covid and have had long lasting effects on some that have recovered from it. What are the effects of the vaccine long term?
How many have died since the vaccine started? Lets give it a few weeks after the first needles in arms, and start at Jan.20. Since that date, 116,000 have died per covidtracking.com (2762 per day).
Im by no means an antivaxxer, but to say its the end all, be all with no risks at this point is very disingenuous. What are the long term effects of the vaccine? How does it affect men or women differently? youth? birth defects? fertility issues? Not a single person on this earth can answer that because they havent had time to research that. As soon as they have been fully vetted, like any other drug or vaccine, ill probably get one, but at this point, the unknown does not outweigh the covid risks for me.

Do you know what is a risk free, guarenteed way to significantly reduce the odds of serious effects or death from the virus? Fix your diet, exercise, and sleep. Of Iowa's 5,500 deaths, less than 600 had no health issues pre-covid. Do you think its a coincidence the US is one of the most out of shape countries in the world and has some of the worst death rates? Why have there been little efforts to encourage better eating, dieting for the overweight, or exercise as a means of prevention from the authorities? No, we get gym closures, drive through and take out efficiencies, etc.

How many have died since the vaccine started? Lets give it a few weeks after the first needles in arms, and start at Jan.20. Since that date, 116,000 have died per covidtracking.com (2762 per day).
Im by no means an antivaxxer, but to say its the end all, be all with no risks at this point is very disingenuous. What are the long term effects of the vaccine? How does it affect men or women differently? youth? birth defects? fertility issues? Not a single person on this earth can answer that because they havent had time to research that. As soon as they have been fully vetted, like any other drug or vaccine, ill probably get one, but at this point, the unknown does not outweigh the covid risks for me.

Do you know what is a risk free, guarenteed way to significantly reduce the odds of serious effects or death from the virus? Fix your diet, exercise, and sleep. Of Iowa's 5,500 deaths, less than 600 had no health issues pre-covid. Do you think its a coincidence the US is one of the most out of shape countries in the world and has some of the worst death rates? Why have there been little efforts to encourage better eating, dieting for the overweight, or exercise as a means of prevention from the authorities? No, we get gym closures, drive through and take out efficiencies, etc.
How many have died with the vaccine? From Covid? Putting all of those other things in their about effects of vaccines... what about the flu vaccine or polio, or tetanus? Who has had birth defects from a vaccine that is FDA approved? what is that number as compared to deaths due to Covid?

That person wont answer, so I will. 3 adults aged 18-40 w/o pre existing conditions have died in Iowa from Covid.
And I will answer with this, why does it matter how old you are? When you can spread it to others that are more likely to be harmed? No one ever answers that fully, they just gloss over the fact that others need to take precautions. Well, we have gone down that road in Iowa and over 5,500 have died because of that thought process.

Reactions: BBHawk

Also related to traffic deaths stuff. 600 have died from Covid with no pre existing conditions as compared to 360 due to traffic deaths. It is still significantly more. And I am willing to bet of those 600, most if not all did not have a vaccine.

And I will answer with this, why does it matter how old you are? When you can spread it to others that are more likely to be harmed? No one ever answers that fully, they just gloss over the fact that others need to take precautions. Well, we have gone down that road in Iowa and over 5,500 have died because of that thought process.
Age definitely matters - covid is incredibly low on the risk scale for 20 and 30 somethings w/ no pre-existing conditions. At the end of the day your are responsible for yourself, and I am responsible for myself. If you dont understand that, then there is no common ground to have this discussion.

Last edited:
Also related to traffic deaths stuff. 600 have died from Covid with no pre existing conditions as compared to 360 due to traffic deaths. It is still significantly more. And I am willing to bet of those 600, most if not all did not have a vaccine.
Why do you keep talking about traffic deaths? Its an asinine comparison. Everyone in the state (~3.3M) is at risk for contracting the virus at any given time. There are not 3.3M on the road at any given time.

Not worth arguing with these idiots. They are self-centered and lack empathy.

Reactions: blhawk

I'm not going to jump into the argument above but I'll just say from my own experience working in a Covid ICU, I've become more desensitized to it.

It's interesting from my perspective because much of the nursing and RT staff on the floors are joking throughout the day and having fun at work now. Then the general public saw the news and staff members are crying during interviews and talking about how it's like a warzone. I just shake my head.

I get it, people handle things differently. Many staff have quit their regular employment to travel to do covid unit work because it's been so lucrative.

When it first was hitting the Midwest staff were definitely more uptight. More conscientious about how PPE was worn. Now it's definitely more laid back. I'm not saying out of compliance but going through the motions.

My observation has been that the overwhelming majority of patients that end up in the ICU on a vent are trainwrecks healthwise. Most are >250 lbs or more with diabetes, COPD, you name it.

I'm not going to jump into the argument above but I'll just say from my own experience working in a Covid ICU, I've become more desensitized to it.

It's interesting from my perspective because much of the nursing and RT staff on the floors are joking throughout the day and having fun at work now. Then the general public saw the news and staff members are crying during interviews and talking about how it's like a warzone. I just shake my head.

I get it, people handle things differently. Many staff have quit their regular employment to travel to do covid unit work because it's been so lucrative.

When it first was hitting the Midwest staff were definitely more uptight. More conscientious about how PPE was worn. Now it's definitely more laid back. I'm not saying out of compliance but going through the motions.

My observation has been that the overwhelming majority of patients that end up in the ICU on a vent are trainwrecks healthwise. Most are >250 lbs or more with diabetes, COPD, you name it.
But, most of you guys have the shot too, right?

I do not think they are idiots. They may be worried about one self more than others and that is ok. It is just a character trait.

But, most of you guys have the shot too, right?

As of last month. A lot of travelers weren't getting it in the first round too though. Some hospitals were hitting their own employees first. My unit was at like 75% travelers during the fall "surge".

My perspective about the change in atmosphere is referencing the last Midwest surge (4th quarter 2020) compared to last spring.

As of last month. A lot of travelers weren't getting it in the first round too though. Some hospitals were hitting their own employees first. My unit was at like 75% travelers during the fall "surge".

My perspective about the change in atmosphere is referencing the last Midwest surge (4th quarter 2020) compared to last spring.
I know most hospital employees around where I live have had it, and with that worry has gone way down. So that could be part of it too right?

I have several friends and relatives who work at UIHC. They may be more relaxed now that they are vaccinated but they definitely still want people to get vaccinated and mask up. To a person they feel this way.

I do not think they are idiots. They may be worried about one self more than others and that is ok. It is just a character trait.
Until they infect someone who is more vulnerable than they are. Then is becomes a character flaw that hurts others.

Reactions: blhawk
Until they infect someone who is more vulnerable than they are. Then is becomes a character flaw that hurts others.
Again, you're usurping the responsibility of the hypothetical infected individual. If I'm vulnerable, it's on me to protect myself.

To fly internationally, there is talk that you might have to prove you have been vaccinated. One way to do that is to issue a QR code to each person vaccinated. This was discussed recently on NBC Nightly News.

A QR code could be utilized at large gatherings like at Kinnick, too. See end of this post for a reminder of what the QR code looks like.

At the gate, there would be ONE scan of one QR code on your smart phone.

A person would get that QR code once they are vaccinated. That QR code is for that person only. Then an app developer could figure out how to combine that QR code with the bar code for the game day ticket. That way, at the gate, when your QR code is scanned, it shows that NOT ONLY is your ticket valid BUT you are ALSO vaccinated.

I think it would all be like when you go to a pro sporting event, where tickets are digital (on your phone) and scanned at the point of entry

Once the QR code on the phone is scanned, if it is scanned a 2nd time by another person, that person is barred from entry, just like what happens right now at pro sporting events; that could also trigger a warning to the QR code owner that a 2nd individual attempted to enter Kinnick on the same QR code

Lots of issues have to be figured out, of course, based on the B1G's covid 19 protocols

Again, one QR code being issued to each person vaccinated was discussed on NBC Nightly News.

Moving forward, the QR code/proof of vaccination might be required not only for international travel, but for:

* Concert admittance
* Stadium admittance
* State Fair admittance

tenor.gif
Next comes the mandatory chip in your hand, cashless society.
Well on our way. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT