ADVERTISEMENT

Fant question

Dec 14, 2002
Is Noah Fant still allowed to use the workout facilities? Will he participate in Iowa's Pro-day?

Or

Is he 'no longer w/ the team'?

Yes he can use the facilities but, I would think he would finish next weeks semester tests and then move to wherever his agent tells him to go to physically prepare for the draft. It could be home to Omaha or a facility his agent sends his clients to prepare for the draft. I doubt he stays in Iowa City past his last test next week.
It has to be a bit uncomfortable to be around ex-teammates who are practicing and working out for a bowl game that he's not participating in.

Last edited:
You mean his brothers hes played ball with for 3 years...hes not abandoning anyone..he is making a decision Id be willing to bet most of those guys would LOVE to the opportunity to have....
plenty of players face that decision each year and most choose to NOT abandon their teammates.......

that is how he treats his "brothers"? that's a shame.

Ok I'm neutral here.Can these guys still buy insurance and play. Willis Mcgahee did it in 02 and got injured and was fine also recently the South Carolina rb bought insurance and actually got hurt and actually cashed the policy turned out to be several million I believe.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Ok I'm neutral here.Can these guys still buy insurance and play. Willis Mcgahee did it in 02 and got injured and was fine also recently the South Carolina rb bought insurance and actually got hurt and actually cashed the policy turned out to be several million I believe.
the schools can buy them insurance, so I'm sure players can too.

if iowa is NOT willing to pay for it, then that is insane and needs to be dealt with

You mean his brothers hes played ball with for 3 years...hes not abandoning anyone..he is making a decision Id be willing to bet most of those guys would LOVE to the opportunity to have....
"You mean his brothers hes played ball with for 3 years..." and then abandoned.

plenty of players face that decision each year and most choose to NOT abandon their teammates.......

Devin White at LSU is a projected 1st round draft pick. He's playing in the Fiesta bowl anyway. Other examples I'm sure...and examples the other way.

Reactions: Wadzinator
There is no right or wrong choice. None of the commenter have to walk in Fant's shoes nor do his teammates; therefore, he is making a decision based on what is best for him. It is a tricky situation because it is a team sport played by individuals. Noah fulfilled his obligation to the team- he did not quit in the middle of the season.

So a coach is abandoning his team when he leaves for a better opportunity...have you ever left a job for a better paying one. For your sake I hope so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to preserve your own health to get a LIFE CHANGING amount of money for you and your family.

Its a bush league and selfish move. He's in the Captain's dog house and probably jealous as hell of TJ. His brother's mouth kept him in the dog house.

Fant was great and TJ even better. I'm betting TJ plays in Iowa's bowl game next year before he enters the draft after his junior year.

Of course he can still use the facility. Ex players come back all the time to visit. Some probably work out too.

the schools can buy them insurance, so I'm sure players can too.

if iowa is NOT willing to pay for it, then that is insane and needs to be dealt with

It seems highly unlikely that the school could pay for insurance on a player. If that was legal we should offer a minimum $1 million policy with every scholarship. You are insane for thinking that’s how this works.

Reactions: INXS83
It seems highly unlikely that the school could pay for insurance on a player. If that was legal we should offer a minimum $1 million policy with every scholarship. You are insane for thinking that’s how this works.
Very few players qualify. INSANE would be offering it to everyone.

"There are NCAA rules that allow athletics department officials to help secure policies and there are also funds available at each university that can be used to pay for the insurance policies if the programs want to allocate money for that purpose."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20592832/how-college-football-players-get-insurance

Maybe think before you speak from now on......

Reactions: TugsMcGee
So a coach is abandoning his team when he leaves for a better opportunity...have you ever left a job for a better paying one. For your sake I hope so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to preserve your own health to get a LIFE CHANGING amount of money for you and your family.
I'm self employed....F a job :). The only jobs I had younger were for family and one family friend. Growing up I never had an interest in making money for strangers while they pay me peanuts.
Yes a coach is a total dbag if he leaves before the final game is over that year. When did I say they weren't?
There is PLENTY wrong with ditching guys who HELPED you get where you are! That is exactly what is wrong with this damn country. TAKE TAKE TAKE, to hell with giving.....

Reactions: map0514
Maybe if Fant felt like he was actually gonna get some worth while snaps he’d play??? Who knows, he seemed to be good and forgotten in multiple games this year now what’s everyone’s big fuss because he takes a game off to get ready for the draft?? The staff gave a few games off this year anyway. And I seriously doubt he’s jealous of TJ..

Reactions: TugsMcGee
Devin White at LSU is a projected 1st round draft pick. He's playing in the Fiesta bowl anyway. Other examples I'm sure...and examples the other way.

Playing in the bowl game is generally the rule. There's a few exceptions that decide not to play and Fant is one of them. Miss St has 2 or 3 guys that will probably go before Fant in the draft and they are all playing.

There is no right or wrong choice. None of the commenter have to walk in Fant's shoes nor do his teammates; therefore, he is making a decision based on what is best for him. It is a tricky situation because it is a team sport played by individuals. Noah fulfilled his obligation to the team- he did not quit in the middle of the season.

He did quit before the season was over. Just not in the middle.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Why play 15 plays so your coaches can make another quarter mill and you risk a career ending injury. You owe your teammates nothing at this point. This isn't pop warner football this is basically semi-pro football. These players aren't kids they are adults making adult decisions. Let's see a coach can quit and go make another 5 mil but a player can't. if I thought I was going to be a first or second round pick I'd say see ya.. Good for fant to put himself in that position and good for Iowa. Fant is giving the coaches and Iowa alot of ink in magazine and newspapers.

Very few players qualify. INSANE would be offering it to everyone.

"There are NCAA rules that allow athletics department officials to help secure policies and there are also funds available at each university that can be used to pay for the insurance policies if the programs want to allocate money for that purpose."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20592832/how-college-football-players-get-insurance

Maybe think before you speak from now on......

This is new information to me and I appreciate you sharing it. I still don’t think I’m wrong.

There is a difference between “the schools can buy them insurance” and “there is an NCAA grant program that can be used for insurance”.

I’m making an assumption here but I would bet any player can “qualify” for support if they can get someone to underwrite a policy. The real issue is these grant dollars are limited and using it for Fants insurance policy would take it away from other student athletes who can use it for childcare, medical costs and other things poor people need. So any “unwillingness to pay for it” is far from insane IMO.

I can’t fault him for making that decision because I think it’s probably the right one, but I wish he’d stick around and help the team prepare for the game and go to the game to support his teammates.

I don't begrudge Fant that choice. For his pro chances, there is more potential harm to his status than good from playing the bowl game. However, do opinions change if there is a senior linebacker or offensive lineman with no chance at going pro who decides to skip the bowl game because he doesn't want to risk injury in his last game and have to spend time rehabbing? If a starting guard quit before the bowl game because he just wanted to graduate and start his accounting job would your opinion be different? Is he letting down his teammates more? Less? The same? I have no ill will toward Fant but think this can be complicated.

Also, it is true that coaches do look out for themselves too, but the fact that everyone is looking out for themselves does not make it the right thing to do. So, if a qb is going to be a top ten pick at a major p5 is it ok for him to end his season if his team is eliminated from winning his conference and participating in the bcs championship? After all, the games are kind of meaningless after that.

Reactions: Curt Furence
TJ is in his 3rd year. He can go pro... But I would agree, TJ would play in the bowl game next year. Assuming he is not preparing for his last game as a Hawkeye right now...

Its a bush league and selfish move. He's in the Captain's dog house and probably jealous as hell of TJ. His brother's mouth kept him in the dog house.

Fant was great and TJ even better. I'm betting TJ plays in Iowa's bowl game next year before he enters the draft after his junior year.

I won’t blame TJ either.. when and if he decides to forego he’s final game/s.. I think he’s probably milling over missing his next 12 or 13 right now..

So, when a guy foregoes his eligibility to enter the draft does that mean he is abandoning his teammates? For instance, when a junior declares for the draft did he just abandon his team? How many games is the player committed to his team for?

This is new information to me and I appreciate you sharing it. I still don’t think I’m wrong.

There is a difference between “the schools can buy them insurance” and “there is an NCAA grant program that can be used for insurance”.

I’m making an assumption here but I would bet any player can “qualify” for support if they can get someone to underwrite a policy. The real issue is these grant dollars are limited and using it for Fants insurance policy would take it away from other student athletes who can use it for childcare, medical costs and other things poor people need. So any “unwillingness to pay for it” is far from insane IMO.
imo student athletes already get plenty of the funds created by football players. they don't need anymore :)

The university. Where else would the B1Gs bowl money go? It certainly does not go to the players, (at least @ Iowa).

Time magazine

• Huge costs. Universities have to pay for a long list of bowl-related expenses, such as travel and lodging for the team, the presidential delegation, the marching band, cheerleaders, and alumni boosters, as well as for the team and coaches to practice for an extra month before departing for the festivities. Going to a bowl game can also drive up athletic department salaries, as coaches often receive incentive bonus pay.
  • Paltry payouts. College officials who count on a bowl game to balance their athletics department budget are in for a shock. Often a college team that accepts a bowl invitation loses money. Payouts for the secondary bowl games are especially low.

The players get a pretty decent swag package $550 of stuff from the bowl, $400 of stuff from the conference and $400 from the school. Not an insignificant haul. Win the whole thing? $5,650 in swag. Do people get free trips? Yep, huge profit for the schools? Nope.

If Fant wouldn't have taken targets away from Hockinson would Hockinson of made first-team All-American?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT