ADVERTISEMENT

Fant visits Nebraska?

td77

HB All-American
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2007
What's the scoop with Fant visiting and decorating himself in Husker attire this weekend? I recall him saying when he committed that he'd likely still take visits, but is there more to this? Objectively, hard to pick Nebraska over Iowa right now.

Ott was never offered by Nebraska so doubt he was on their sideline after committing to the Hawks. Their loss, that's for damned sure.

Supreme is correct, OTT was at a Nebraska game after he committed to Iowa. Not sure he was on the sidelines though. The old grey matter doesn't remember as much as it use to.

If he wants to go to that dumpster fire let him, we have an in state TE better than him anyway already and a btter DE commit already....not saying that I wasn't happy we got him and would love to see him in black and yellow, but he better be careful because we are now top 20 team and if he wants to mess around our train might fill up without him

If he wants to go to that dumpster fire let him, we have an in state TE better than him anyway already and a btter DE commit already....not saying that I wasn't happy we got him and would love to see him in black and yellow, but he better be careful because we are now top 20 team and if he wants to mess around our train might fill up without him

Christ dude... it's a high school kid

What did he say bad about him? Pretty much says, in or out, doesn't matter as we have others who want in.
Just the way he worded it sounded aggressive. Like just because we're having our first good season in 5 years means we're some amazing program that has kids pounding down our doors to get in.

Reactions: Todd Lickliter
I think he mentioned when he committed that he was going to take some official visits still so I don't know why everyone is so surprised.

This is true.....Ott did attend a game after he had committed to you.
My bad, I always thought that players with sideline access were ones being actively recruited/offered. I guess he may have been part of a contingency plan for them. Either way, like I said it worked out best for Drew at Iowa. He would not have started ahead of Randy Gregory obviously, not sure who NU had on the other end- probably no one better than Ott though.

Christ dude... it's a high school kid
And??????? I said nothing bad about the kid, just that he better be careful because our class is already pretty much filled up and with our on the field success his decisions might end up backfiring on him. I know the coaching staff does not take to kindly to this (nor does any coaching staff, heck some have a no visit policy once committed). I know of a CO kid that verbal to Iowa and visited Auburn and the coaching staff pretty much said I hope you enjoy your 4 years at Auburn.....

And??????? I said nothing bad about the kid, just that he better be careful because our class is already pretty much filled up and with our on the field success his decisions might end up backfiring on him. I know the coaching staff does not take to kindly to this (nor does any coaching staff, heck some have a no visit policy once committed). I know of a CO kid that verbal to Iowa and visited Auburn and the coaching staff pretty much said I hope you enjoy your 4 years at Auburn.....

Are you talking about Kozan? If so that is not how it went. He was still a Iowa verbal then signing day came and he didn't sign with Iowa. Next thing you know he and his family talking about Iowa, Michigan and Auburn he was interested in. Rumors were parents swaying him to sign with a school not named Iowa. Few weeks after signing day the kid ended up signing at Auburn and started as a RS Frosh at G on the team that lost to FSU in national title game.

Are you talking about Kozan? If so that is not how it went. He was still a Iowa verbal then signing day came and he didn't sign with Iowa. Next thing you know he and his family talking about Iowa, Michigan and Auburn he was interested in. Rumors were parents swaying him to sign with a school not named Iowa. Few weeks after signing day the kid ended up signing at Auburn and started as a RS Frosh at G on the team that lost to FSU in national title game.
Well I do know that after he signed with Auburn and the Gene Chizik fiasco he spoke with the Iowa coaches about transferring to Iowa and they politely declined his request.......if I remember correctly the Iowa coaching staff also told him thanks but no thanks after he did not sign and took visits....the first part I know is true and pretty sure about the second part....none the less Fant might want to consider the ramifications of his actions before they backfire

I think he mentioned when he committed that he was going to take some official visits still so I don't know why everyone is so surprised.

In an interview with Fant after the game this weekend, he says he is still currently committed to Iowa. But he is planning to take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend for the ND vs USC game, and then will take others. He plans to use all five of his official visits. He hasn't decided where he will visit for sure yet, but he recently received an offer from Arizona State and is hearing increasingly from Notre Dame, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and several other schools.

The young man should enjoy the process, take his visits, and make sure of his commitment. There is no better place to be a TE than Iowa, especially if you have aspirations of playing on Sundays.

I know others share the same feeling, and it has been mentioned before but ........why call the Iowa coaches to inform them of your "commitment" when you are obviously not committed?

Its one thing to verbally commit to a program then change your mind at a later date. In that case, at least your intention was pure when you made your initial decision.

In Fant's case, as I understand it, he gave a commitment to Iowa but contemporaneously stated that he will continue to talk to competing coaches and also intends to visit other schools who have offered.

If a recruit is uniquely talented and/or very highly regarded then he has some leverage to conduct his recruitment this way. My question is this: is Fant that type of talent?

I sort of wonder if these kids just take the visits to have fun, see the world, but are still committed. They may never get to travel that much later in life.
I know others share the same feeling, and it has been mentioned before but ........why call the Iowa coaches to inform them of your "commitment" when you are obviously not committed?

Its one thing to verbally commit to a program then change your mind at a later date. In that case, at least your intention was pure when you made your initial decision.

In Fant's case, as I understand it, he gave a commitment to Iowa but contemporaneously stated that he will continue to talk to competing coaches and also intends to visit other schools who have offered.

If a recruit is uniquely talented and/or very highly regarded then he has some leverage to conduct his recruitment this way. My question is this: is Fant that type of talent?

I don't know anything about his process, but after a 1 catch, 1 tackle game that his team lost 47-14 he may want to work on football skills instead of his travel agent resume.

If you commit and expect the Hawks to honor that I'd like to see some loyalty.
Just one man's view.

Agreed, I think there are two sides to the coin - he can take visits but we should be able to look at other TE prospects.

I do feel he is a great athlete who could really develop at Iowa but history has shown that we will be OK, with or without him. We always have TE's that develop and produce.

I don't know anything about his process, but after a 1 catch, 1 tackle game that his team lost 47-14 he may want to work on football skills instead of his travel agent resume.

If you commit and expect the Hawks to honor that I'd like to see some loyalty.
Just one man's view.
Fant plays for one of the worst teams in the Omaha area. If his brother wasn't the coach, he probably would have transferred to one of the "football schools" by now. With his build and athleticism, I think he could develop into a very good college player.
I think he'll keep his commitment to Iowa, and is just enjoying the free visits.

Reactions: icu81222
Fant plays for one of the worst teams in the Omaha area. If his brother wasn't the coach, he probably would have transferred to one of the "football schools" by now. With his build and athleticism, I think he could develop into a very good college player.
I think he'll keep his commitment to Iowa, and is just enjoying the free visits.

This.

Although, he might look around a little bit. NU had something like 6 or 7 Top 250 kids on visits this weekend, including top 2016 and 2017 QB's. If he had a chance to meet and greet a little bit, he might have at least a little reason to give another consideration.

Wrong. He started at one of the "football schools" and transferred away. His brother just became the coach this year. I have no idea if Noah will be a standout at Iowa or anywhere. I only know that his first 2 years were at a school that had been pretty successful in class A. And if his brother had wanted to coach at that school I am reasonably confident he could have had a position as they routinely hire former players. Of which his brother was one.

In an interview with Fant after the game this weekend, he says he is still currently committed to Iowa. But he is planning to take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend for the ND vs USC game, and then will take others. He plans to use all five of his official visits. He hasn't decided where he will visit for sure yet, but he recently received an offer from Arizona State and is hearing increasingly from Notre Dame, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and several other schools.

Interesting. If a kid looks around, then Iowa's policy is that they'll look around too.

Typically when a kid commits, Iowa is only cool with them taking officials if they already had them scheduled BEFORE the commitment.

I believe that Fant is a talent and that he and Iowa are a great "fit" ... however, at this stage, I doubt that Fant ends up a Hawkeye.

Short answer: To reserve his place in the class. He knows we don't have a lot of space left, so wanted to get dibs.

Hey, If I was an 18 year old kid and had the chance at getting an all expenses paid trip around the country to watch college football and hang out with college girls, you are GD right I'm going to take advantage of that.

Well I do know that after he signed with Auburn and the Gene Chizik fiasco he spoke with the Iowa coaches about transferring to Iowa and they politely declined his request.......if I remember correctly the Iowa coaching staff also told him thanks but no thanks after he did not sign and took visits....the first part I know is true and pretty sure about the second part....none the less Fant might want to consider the ramifications of his actions before they backfire

Ok thanks was unaware he flirted with transferring to Iowa after first year. One thing KF has rarely done is take in transfers.

As for Fant as long as he told coaches he was taking other visits then can't get too angry. Better now than few weeks before signing day.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
I said this on our board and the nebby board when he "committed". How many times do schools lose guys that "commit"? Way too often. I said I will believe that Fant is a Hawkeye when he signs on signing day. Other than that, I am not holding my breath.

Reactions: nck24 and SDHawkDoc

They do it to reserve a place on the bus. The coaches have to keep recruiting committed kids. It's just the way it is now. If we lose Fant it would hurt but it's a position that we are in pretty good shape. Jameer Outsey will be a soph next year and he's a stud.

Nebraska is now warming to the idea of Fant being a tight end. Stay tuned...
Since he grew up a Husker - maybe that will be enough to cause him to flip. However, I would hope that the very fact that Iowa has a track-record of using 2-TE sets so often and even using 3-TE sets ... that would be more than a little alluring. On top of all that, Iowa's track record of TEs in the NFL is rare.

Basketball may have been a factor in his decision to attend Omaha South. They are one of the best high school teams in the midwest and it's nearly a given that it will be them and Creighton Prep in the championship again this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT