ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo

Lol really? Care to address anything I actually wrote? I wrote that after he had to come from behind in the last minute to beat the eventual 8th place finisher (who was teched in his 7th place match) where he struggled to get to legs. He's also struggled to get to legs against other high level competition as well. He was beaten by Halvorson because he couldn't score. He was beaten by Winston because he couldn't score. He was beaten by Plott at junior duals because he couldn't get his offense going. I believe he also had a loss to Keckeisen this spring. He was blanked by Trent Hidlay and was getting controlled by Jessen until he hit a headlock down 6-0. His best win is Gavin Hoffman in a 1 takedown match. Hoffman's best win this year was probably Brandon Krone in OT and was nearly majored by Reinhardt from Wisconsin (who Wilcke beat 3-4 times pretty comfortably btw).

With all that being said, I still said he is a good recruit. My only point is that the people on here that are so desperate to get Wilcke out of the lineup are delusional if they think Assad is a significantly better option right away. Assad is a grinder. He wins tough, close matches by staying in good position, handfighting hard, and re attacking. Unless he drastically changes his style, he's not going to score a bunch of bonus. I think Assad will be better than Wilcke long term, but he is an obvious case of a kid that needs a redshirt year to develop his attacks and work on his mat wrestling (he struggled on bottom against Winston).

After his final with Plott, in his optimized form I think he reminds me more of Brooks than Meyer. A little more athletic than I thought, but still a little too straight on with his offense. A really tough, great guy to have in the lineup who can contend for a title late in his career if he maximizes his potential. But we should also remember that Sammy, who was ranked similarly out of high school, didn't place until his junior year. 184 is consistently one of the deepest weights in the country. Nothing is a given for recruits in that weight range.

Much better effort and you wisely left out the notion of a 3-5th place finish as the ceiling.

Much better effort and you wisely left out the notion of a 3-5th place finish as the ceiling.
Which is exactly where Brooks, my comparison, finished his career. I consider being a top 3 guy being a title contender.

Not bad for a developmental mid level AA at best ;)
Ah yes, shame on me for predicting him to have a better career than most recruits around his ranking. For those who might not realize it, Assad is ranked roughly where Carter Happel was ranked coming out (30ish).

Reactions: TarpHawk
This guy did the deed...got pinned in the first round...got careless and thrown by some dude but wrestled back 9 times to third.
Indeed. He is a Flo top 30ish PFP. I believe there was a post this spring saying he was going to play football?

G
The statement below is from June 2018 when Kennedy committed to Iowa. For what it’s worth.

Does Kennedy look small to anyone else?
Most of the time, I only weigh 172 or 175,” Kennedy said. “I’m only like 5-8 and I have a full-grown beard, so I don’t think I’m going to grow much more. My last weigh in at state, I weighed in at like 173.1. We got four pounds” — meaning he was wrestling guys who weighed in at 186.

Most of the time, I only weigh 172 or 175,” Kennedy said. “I’m only like 5-8 and I have a full-grown beard, so I don’t think I’m going to grow much more. My last weigh in at state, I weighed in at like 173.1. We got four pounds” — meaning he was wrestling guys who weighed in at 186.
Everything about him screams "Iowa wrestler".

Sounds like a 157/165 to me. If he's 5'8 and walks around in the low 170s he'd be an average sized 157 right now and that's what he looks like.

Ah yes, shame on me for predicting him to have a better career than most recruits around his ranking. For those who might not realize it, Assad is ranked roughly where Carter Happel was ranked coming out (30ish).

He's 30ish among seniors?

Well that makes sense, even at 170 he’s small for the weight; which is why the other guy in the finals looked so much bigger.

So he’s not our future at 184. More like 165, I would say. What’s the conventional wisdom?

Btw, walk around weight of 175 winning 170 at Fargo is damn impressive. In case he needs my seal of approval.

Thank you. I don't follow this as closely as some. I know he's not a super blue chipper but it seems low for him. If they do another it seems like he would move up.
They probably won't because it's the outgoing class, but he would move up a bit, probably somewhere 15-20ish. But before beating Plott, who he has now split with this summer, 29 was just about right for him. The highest he's been is 13 after the cadet trials last year where he knocked off a couple of highly ranked guys (Starocci and Ramirez). Starocci has since beaten him as well as several other solid guys. 13 was definitely a bit high. For context, he was sitting at 83 before that tournament, so he had a 70 position bump based on 1 weekend.

It will upset a lot of people on this board if Kennedy goes 165 his entire career and Nelson Brands never finds the lineup. Hopefully one will be at 165, the other at 174.

Now, let's talk about 157. That's our only real recruiting hole now.

Reactions: artradley
It will upset a lot of people on this board if Kennedy goes 165 his entire career and Nelson Brands never finds the lineup. Hopefully one will be at 165, the other at 174.

I couldn't care less who makes the lineup as long as they perform. I'd like to think that's the prevalent opinion but who knows.

Personally I dont care who wins, as long as they perform....that said theres an eq6amount of posters who may be upset if he goes 157 and beats out Young.

They probably won't because it's the outgoing class, but he would move up a bit, probably somewhere 15-20ish. But before beating Plott, who he has now split with this summer, 29 was just about right for him. The highest he's been is 13 after the cadet trials last year where he knocked off a couple of highly ranked guys (Starocci and Ramirez). Starocci has since beaten him as well as several other solid guys. 13 was definitely a bit high. For context, he was sitting at 83 before that tournament, so he had a 70 position bump based on 1 weekend.
Yeah I guess the rankings are correct. I see Christenson ranked pretty high but has never beaten Assad head to head. Maybe you should hang out on the Wisconsin board. And Assad will red shirt then a few years at 84 then finish at 97.

Sokol is projected anywhere from 141 to 157 --- maybe he'll slot in at 157? Trying to predict physical growth is always tough. Who would have thought 4 years ago that Kemerer would be at 174?

Assad was in Flo's pfp rankings wasn't he? I want to say he was at #13 for awhile.
He was #14 after beating Ramirez at cadet trials, but fell out after losing to Winston at Who's #1. He's had losses to Halvorson, Starocci, Plott, and Keckeisen since then.

He's now at #29 for his class, though this weekend would theoretically move him up to the top 20. It's been a pretty impressive rise for him over the past year. He was in the 80's before cadet trials last year, so his trajectory, even if we put him at 29, is really promising. Also loved his post match interview. Seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. There's so much parity around his weight, you never really know who's going to rise to the top as their careers progress.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Tarp do you talk to the brands bros? Jw. I think a good talk would be fun to watch
Haven't had a chance to talk to Tom or Terry in several years, but I enjoy seeing them every few years. I need to take my new wife to Iowa City to experience an Iowa dual, so I am due for a return.

I'm vocal on this board with my opinions on what we're doing right and wrong with the program. I happen to be good at analyzing data, and that is generally the foundation of my opinions. I strongly suspect that if I were the head coach, Tom and Terry would be vocal with their opinions too. They have thick skins so I'm not worried about hurting their feelings or causing some personal rift. We all just want to win, and we all have opinions about how best to do it. I have great respect for them and everyone else who went through the program.

Big fan of Garvin an A. Ahrendsen (sp) those guys are fun to watch. Garvins got a mean front headlock an A. Ahrendsen?, is just doing whatever comes natural it seems. Liked watching those two youngsters

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT