ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo

GoUIowa

HR All-American
Sep 30, 2001
My son wrestled at State Freestyle and Greco this weekend at Southeast Polk. He qualified for Fargo, which was completely unexpected. I didn’t see it coming at all, but now I guess I’ll be planning a trip to the FargoDome in July. Has anyone ever been to this event? If you have any thoughts to share about your experience I would appreciate hearing them. Outside of the wrestling event, which I really look forward to, are there any suggestions on things to do while I’m there or on my way there (coming from central Iowa)? Thanks.

The real benefit for your son is going to the camp training for the Fargo event. He's probably not going to like it because all the hammers from around the state will be there to beat up on him, but he will grow from it, and it likely to surprise himself as to how tough he is and could be. It is a motivator and a measureing stick. Plus he learns toughness. The wrestling itslef at the tourney is crazy to watch as there are so many matches and FS/GR matches can be over in a hurry. There will be lots of waiting around for your sons match and then boom it is over. So I hope you have other kids from your school to watch or just have some kids you know that you want to follow, otherwise bring some reading material!
There really isn't much to do in Fargo as your day is so chopped up with the session of wrestling. My advice is to find another couple to go with or plan on spending some quiet time with your wife.
Good Luck!

Play golf? Some good ones in Fargo and a couple nearby across the river in Minnesota.

Reactions: GoUIowa
Been many times. Try to stay at the hotel the Iowa team stays at. Make reservations ASAP.

Reactions: el dub
Anyone know what happened here?

1st Place Match
Jacob Frost (Sebolt Wrestling Academy) won by forfeit over Ryder Block (Sebolt Wrestling Academy) (FF)

I believe Block had a knee surgery recently so was just wrestling enough to qualify.

As for Fargo: Blackbird for pizza/pasta and Sickie’s Garage for wings/burgers have been good. There’s a Roger Maris museum there that I need to get to one of these trips because I’m a nerd that way.

Also, that dome is kept cold so probably wear sleeves and be ready to get up and move around to get closer to your kid’s mat because it’s also huge. If you’re lucky he’ll be on one of the 10 mats in the end zones where you can get up real close.

Congrats! Best of luck and hopefully your boy can shake off any losses and learn from the experience.

On the subject, I didn't see a thread on the Iowa Freco tourney. Anyone have any good Intel to share? No Nate J or Riggins? Time of after US Open? Will they get to wrestle at Fargo or no?

Anyone know what happened here?

1st Place Match
Jacob Frost (Sebolt Wrestling Academy) won by forfeit over Ryder Block (Sebolt Wrestling Academy) (FF)
Is that Frost kid one of those Louisiana twins that went to Dowling? Saw they flipped from Columbia to Iowa State.

Reactions: west2east
Thanks, I figured both were already Q but knew one of you would know for sure

I believe Block had a knee surgery recently so was just wrestling enough to qualify.

As for Fargo: Blackbird for pizza/pasta and Sickie’s Garage for wings/burgers have been good. There’s a Roger Maris museum there that I need to get to one of these trips because I’m a nerd that way.

Also, that dome is kept cold so probably wear sleeves and be ready to get up and move around to get closer to your kid’s mat because it’s also huge. If you’re lucky he’ll be on one of the 10 mats in the end zones where you can get up real close.

Is the Maris Museum still in the Mall of the Great Plains? It's pretty interesting if you are a baseball geek (and were alive in '61).

My son wrestled at State Freestyle and Greco this weekend at Southeast Polk. He qualified for Fargo, which was completely unexpected. I didn’t see it coming at all, but now I guess I’ll be planning a trip to the FargoDome in July. Has anyone ever been to this event? If you have any thoughts to share about your experience I would appreciate hearing them. Outside of the wrestling event, which I really look forward to, are there any suggestions on things to do while I’m there or on my way there (coming from central Iowa)? Thanks.
Congrats!

Maybe catfishing on the Red River??

Never been, but congrats to your son.
Making it to Fargo is an accomplishment!

I'll be honest, I hated the experience at Fargo. (my son wasn't to keen on it either). We stayed on campus, in the dorms, with no air conditioning. I literally had 4 fans running in my room and it was still a hotbox. My son enjoyed the competition, but it just drug on. Rarely do you catch any good matches until the quarters, and in some cases, not until the finals.

Congrats on your son qualifying! That truly is an accomplishment! And best of luck to him!!

I'll be honest, I hated the experience at Fargo. (my son wasn't to keen on it either). We stayed on campus, in the dorms, with no air conditioning. I literally had 4 fans running in my room and it was still a hotbox. My son enjoyed the competition, but it just drug on. Rarely do you catch any good matches until the quarters, and in some cases, not until the finals.

Congrats on your son qualifying! That truly is an accomplishment! And best of luck to him!!
It can be a long week, that’s for sure.

Sounds like Cooperstown for baseball kids

ADVERTISEMENT