ADVERTISEMENT

Fastest Back on the Iowa team as of now

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
I have heard it’s IKM but have also heard that Sargent is pretty fast .. who knows as neither has really broken a long run.. seems like the Wadley days were in the ancient past (not really) but maybe just maybe Goodson or Byrd can add to the attack this year on the ground

I think they all probably have pretty decent speed but just from games I’ve seen I’d say IKM or MS.. but I don’t remember the last back Iowa had that was just a burner, like hit the corner and forget about him kind of wheels. Akrum was fast but he got ran down a few times too.... maybe Tavian Banks??

I think they all probably have pretty decent speed but just from games I’ve seen I’d say IKM or MS.. but I don’t remember the last back Iowa had that was just a burner, like hit the corner and forget about him kind of wheels. Akrum was fast but he got ran down a few times too.... maybe Tavian Banks??

Jermelle Lewis had elite speed. That guy was robbed of a lot of glory by injuries. A few examples:

Tavian was the fastest rb iowa has ever had I don't believe he ever got caught from behind while at iowa when he got into open space just looked it up he ran a 4.28 at his pro day plus he was very elusive and soccer skills were off the charts

Tavian Banks beat Tim Dwight in a late night Ped-Mall race. It's a somewhat legendary story in local lore. He may be the fastest player Iowa has ever had.

... but I don’t remember the last back Iowa had that was just a burner, like hit the corner and forget about him kind of wheels. Akrum was fast but he got ran down a few times too.... maybe Tavian Banks??
and ya'll act like you forgot about J...

Canzeri

before his acl injury, he was that kind of guy. his hs highlight video was nuts. 9 minutes of him running away from everyone

To many of you - Dude is definitely wondering about the fastest CURRENT running back.... I hope it's Goodson. Pulling for him to see the field soon.

Tavian was the fastest rb iowa has ever had I don't believe he ever got caught from behind while at iowa when he got into open space just looked it up he ran a 4.28 at his pro day plus he was very elusive and soccer skills were off the charts

Totally agree. Loved this from 0:55 mark on 2nd play of the game. Out running the secondary.

Fred Russell had a great burst going through the hole and could get to the second level in the blink of an eye. His top end speed was somewhat suspect. Years ago I heard Fred and Tim Dodge had a race. Freddie had Tim in the first 50 yards but Tim caught him and beat him at the finish line. Sedrick Shaw had some decent wheels too.

Reactions: easy2
The only time I saw him caught from behind was in the Sun Bowl. I soon as I said he was gone, he was caught from behind. It sucked because I was sitting right next to an ASU fan.

On Pro Day he ran a 4.28? That’s absolutely freakazoid speed ... you don’t hear too many backs with that kind of speed in a lifetime

Reactions: Wadzinator
I dont think any of the 3 headed monster possess above average speed (e.g. sub 4.5). I would put my money on one of the new guys like Goodsen.
Please check Blair's NFL Combine speed list here. According to you, Iowa has had only one back in history who was 'above average.' Have to beg to differ on this one.

On Pro Day he ran a 4.28? That’s absolutely freakazoid speed ... you don’t hear too many backs with that kind of speed in a lifetime

It's legit too. Tavian ran a number of 40s at Bettendorf in the 4.2 range. Merv Habenicht spoke about it. Granted, that's hand timed, but how much can a had timed 40 actually be off? OK, the person with the watch might click a fraction early at the finish. But, the start is a disadvantage for the runner because it's based on response time. At the Combine, 40s begin with movement. It's probably pretty close to being a wash in the end between the two methods.

Man! Sedrick ran hard!

He had the shiftiness of Akrum, but the power he ran with! Goodness!

Robert Smith, Tavian And Tim Dwight in a 3-man race. I would pay to have watched that back in the day!

What a team that was in 1997. Banks, Dwight, Wheatley at TE, Bollers at FB. Then the Defense had Devries, Eppy, Matt Hughes, Jared Goff, etc... How did they ever get beat?

What a team that was in 1997. Banks, Dwight, Wheatley at TE, Bollers at FB. Then the Defense had Devries, Eppy, Matt Hughes, Jared Goff, etc... How did they ever get beat?

You're not remembering the 97 team accurately. Wheatley backed up Chris Knipper at TE. Bollers backed up Michael Burger and Rob Thein at fullback. Defensively, Eppy wasn't a starter (that line was Devries, Aron Klein, Jason House, John Lefleur, and Jeff Kramer). Jared Goff was a quarterback for Cal 18 years later. You might be thinking of Mike Goff, who was an offensive guard for that 97 Iowa team.

As @Kinnick.At.Night said, injuries hurt. At linebacker, Vernon Rollins came into the 97 season preseason All Big Ten. He had a devastating knee injury against Iowa State that ended his season and he wasn't the same after that. As someone above said, the 5-2 Iowa was running was a little antiquated and we just didn't have the speed to compete with elite teams.

Offensively, we had the firepower at a couple positions in receiver and runningback, but Damon Gibson at the other receiver spot was far from Dwight's equal (23 receptions, 516 yards, 4 TDs). We could've beat National Champion Michigan at their house, but QB Matt Sherman was playing with a broken finger. Sherman to Sword still stings.

The schedule was similar to this years', in that we played at Ohio State, at Michigan, at Wisconsin, and at Northwestern. We lost the latter 3 games by a total of 8 points. We were outclassed at the Horseshoe as Andy Katzenmoyer lived in the backfield. Here's that 1997 team looking pretty pedestrian against a 10 win Ohio State team that finished the year #12. Below is the game at Michigan. The last one is a fun one, which was Iowa having their way with Indiana 62-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT