ADVERTISEMENT

Father accused of tackling student-athlete during wresting match

On one hand, that’s obviously a big no-no.

On the other, that dude could have easily broken his son’s neck.

I’d be curious to see the rest of the match, if that was after several other dirty moves (not that it justifies his actions).

That was an illegal slam and the match should have been stopped and the slammer should have been DQ'ed on the spot. The wrestler in control is responsible to return the opponent to the mat...SAFELY. As in NOT on his head and neck at speed.

So I do understand the parental reaction there. Who would want to watch their son/daughter get seriously hurt, perhaps even paralyzed? The dad should have stayed off the mat and not rammed the offender...but that is much easier said than done in that situation.

Where was(were) the coach(es)? What was the ref looking at? That was pretty clearly an illegal slam...but they were getting ready to keep wrestling. Several mistakes made in that video IMO.

So, the dad in question didn’t answer the door for reporters wanting his response. Imagine that....
I remember seeing this at the Barn in 05?06 believe it was during a 3A 2A Semi.
Definitely could see the ref give 1 for the slam. The coaches are the ones that should have stopped the match. I believe if he Couldn’t continue or coaches decided not to. Would be a win by disqualification. My rules might be mixed up.
Could understand how the dad felt, but not the right reaction

So, the dad in question didn’t answer the door for reporters wanting his response. Imagine that....
It is the refs job to protect the wrestlers from illegal, dirty and dangerous moves, throws, holds and wrestlers. Depending on the circumstances I would be willing to go after the kid, ( if he is a high school kid) the dad and the ref. Who else is going to protect your kid if you aren't.

Sometimes the animal protective instinct takes over and we do animal like things. We sometimes forget that we are just "animals with thumbs". . .

07e269dce2c5821d0933b626ab554e4e.jpg

I remember seeing this at the Barn in 05?06 believe it was during a 3A 2A Semi.
Definitely could see the ref give 1 for the slam. The coaches are the ones that should have stopped the match. I believe if he Couldn’t continue or coaches decided not to. Would be a win by disqualification. My rules might be mixed up.
Could understand how the dad felt, but not the right reaction

Justin koethe? He was a good slammer

If you're going to feel the need to act like this as a father, then you shouldn't let your kid compete in sports. Yes it was a dirty throw. Yes the ref should've called it. Yes the kid's coaches should've raised hell. No the dad shouldn't have run onto the mat and tackled the other guy. ****ing embarrassing. His son is what, 17 or 18? Of course you need to be there for your kid and support them. But what a horrible lesson to teach a 17-18 year old young man that daddy is going to come save the day if you have a rough out. I'll bet his son was embarrassed as hell by this.

So how did this all play out, anyone know? Assume they weren't able to finish the match so who declared the winner?

Sometimes the animal protective instinct takes over and we do animal like things. We sometimes forget that we are just "animals with thumbs". It is definitely something we should try to rise above, but I totally understand that reaction.
Should have gone after the coach instead if anything

It is the refs job to protect the wrestlers from illegal, dirty and dangerous moves, throws, holds and wrestlers. Depending on the circumstances I would be willing to go after the kid, ( if he is a high school kid) the dad and the ref. Who else is going to protect your kid if you aren't.

JFC look at this knucklehead here.

You'd be willing to go after a HS kid because of a slam? Seems completely rational and well thought out.

Please don't let your kid wrestle. And if he's tough enough to wrestle please don't attend his matches.

That was an illegal slam and the match should have been stopped and the slammer should have been DQ'ed on the spot. The wrestler in control is responsible to return the opponent to the mat...SAFELY. As in NOT on his head and neck at speed.

So I do understand the parental reaction there. Who would want to watch their son/daughter get seriously hurt, perhaps even paralyzed? The dad should have stayed off the mat and not rammed the offender...but that is much easier said than done in that situation.

Where was(were) the coach(es)? What was the ref looking at? That was pretty clearly an illegal slam...but they were getting ready to keep wrestling. Several mistakes made in that video IMO.
+1000

My rules are a little rusty, but I think if there’s no injury it’s a one point penalty, just as the official ruled. If the slammed kid couldn’t continue it would be a DQ.

Either way, it looked accidental, to me. Bottom man reached around the other guy’s head which left him unable to break his fall, and it looks like the weight shift caused to top guy to lose control and drop him on his head.

My rules are a little rusty, but I think if there’s no injury it’s a one point penalty, just as the official ruled. If the slammed kid couldn’t continue it would be a DQ.

Either way, it looked accidental, to me. Bottom man reached around the other guy’s head which left him unable to break his fall, and it looks like the weight shift caused to top guy to lose control and drop him on his head.

Hmmm...you may be right, I too am getting rusty on the rules, as my boys are grown now and I am not as close to the HS and youth wrestling scene that I once was.

I know I have watched 3 or 4 matches in times past that were stopped immediately and the slammer was DQ'ed in all of those, but...I can't now remember if the slammed wrestler could, or could not, continue in all of those cases. At least 2 of them the coach of the slammed wrestler indicated that his wrestler could/would not continue. The other 2...I can't specifically recall.

Given that distinct possibility...I'll amend my statement to a conditional one. :) Even if the wrestler could, and wanted to continue, I still didn't see his coach(es) do anything to check their wrestler. To me, that should be at least the minimum action there...even if the affected wrestler declares themselves ready to go.

Interesting.

JFC look at this knucklehead here.

You'd be willing to go after a HS kid because of a slam? Seems completely rational and well thought out.

Please don't let your kid wrestle. And if he's tough enough to wrestle please don't attend his matches.
You're not really surprised by his post are you? As for yours, agree with you completely.

There is a distinction made between an illegal hold, unnecessary roughness, and unsportsmanlike conduct. In each case the other kid is awarded a match point. In each case if the kid is unable to continue, the injured wrestler wins the match. If it is deemed unsportsmanlike conduct and the kid does something unsportsmanlike again, then it is flagrant misconduct and the kid is automatically ejected. I am guessing this was called an illegal move and the kid got a point. The kid who got thrown did not appear to be hurt as he was getting back in the referee's position without much - if any hesitation. In freestyle or greco, this would have been a beautiful 5 point move. In folk style, it is illegal was heck.

It was an illegal slam and the ref called it an illegal slam. That is what both hands behind the head mean. 1 point goes to the opposing wrestler and the slammed wrestler is asked if he needs the 2 minutes of recovery time. Once recovery time is stopped or used up, the injured wrestler has an option to continue or not continue. If he choses to not continue, the injured wrestler is awarded the win. The guilty wrestler is only DQ'd after proper protocalls. and not on the spot. The ref did his job. The move happened quickly and the ref had no idea it was going to end up in a slam. There is no justification for the action of the parent.....PERIOD. Now, the parent can spend some time in the slammer.

Accused, huh.....Allegedly, huh............

But yeah, that's about what I'd picture the guy to look like. Fat drunken slob that takes sh** way too seriously.

Reactions: Chuck C
It was an illegal slam and the ref called it an illegal slam. That is what both hands behind the head mean. 1 point goes to the opposing wrestler and the slammed wrestler is asked if he needs the 2 minutes of recovery time. Once recovery time is stopped or used up, the injured wrestler has an option to continue or not continue. If he choses to not continue, the injured wrestler is awarded the win. The guilty wrestler is only DQ'd after proper protocalls. and not on the spot. The ref did his job. The move happened quickly and the ref had no idea it was going to end up in a slam. There is no justification for the action of the parent.....PERIOD. Now, the parent can spend some time in the slammer.

Is not the coach involved in the decision to continue or not? My hazy memory recalls that on more than one occasion, the slammed wrestler's coach was the one that determined, after talking with the wrestler, if they should continue or not.

I wouldn't trust a HS wrestler, that just got slammed BTW, to make an independent, quality decision in that situation.

The kid did not appear injured That would have tempered my reaction. I don’t think I would tackle the kid but I would have been out of my chair.

So....if your kid is at bat in a baseball game and gets beaned by the pitcher, you're going to physically attack the pitcher? If your kid is playing football and receives a vicious chop block or helmet-to-helmet hit, you're going to run onto the field and attack the opposing player? If your kid is playing soccer and someone lays a brutal foul on his legs, you're going to run onto the field and attack the guilty player? I could go on and on with examples. The last thing we need is for parents to run onto sports fields to physically attack a player who they perceive as having done something egregious to their child. That needs to be left to the officials, coaches and teammates.

The attack seemed absolutely ridiculous. Slams happen. You hope your child never gets put in one and I understand being angry but I have seen much worse. This did not in any way merit the response it got from daddy especially since the kid seemed to be mostly okay.

So....if your kid is at bat in a baseball game and gets beaned by the pitcher, you're going to physically attack the pitcher? If your kid is playing football and receives a vicious chop block or helmet-to-helmet hit, you're going to run onto the field and attack the opposing player? If your kid is playing soccer and someone lays a brutal foul on his legs, you're going to run onto the field and attack the guilty player? I could go on and on with examples. The last thing we need is for parents to run onto sports fields to physically attack a player who they perceive as having done something egregious to their child. That needs to be left to the officials, coaches and teammates.

As a parent you teach your kids that life is full of hard choices and easy choices. Sometimes the easy choice is right, sometimes the hard choice is right. In this situation, as a dad, rushing the mat and tackling the other guy is the easy choice. It's also wrong. He should've swallowed the impulse, made the tough choice, and let his son learn that life throws unfair shots and you need to learn how to deal with them without daddy coming to the rescue. Instead, this idiot will probably puff out his chest and think everyone is marveling at how great a dad he is for sticking up for his son. Horrible, selfish parenting.

Last edited:
Is not the coach involved in the decision to continue or not? My hazy memory recalls that on more than one occasion, the slammed wrestler's coach was the one that determined, after talking with the wrestler, if they should continue or not.

I wouldn't trust a HS wrestler, that just got slammed BTW, to make an independent, quality decision in that situation.
Either can end the match.

Either can end the match.

Regardless of the feelings of the affected wrestler...should not the coach be involved in that decision? In other words, no matter the feelings of the wrestler, I think the coach should be the final determinant. I wouldn't trust a 15-18 year old kid to get it right every time in that type of situation.

Regardless of the feelings of the affected wrestler...should not the coach be involved in that decision? In other words, no matter the feelings of the wrestler, I think the coach should be the final determinant. I wouldn't trust a 15-18 year old kid to get it right every time in that type of situation.
By "either can end the match" I mean the coach can end the match or the wrestler. If the coach wants to end the match, he ends the match. If the wrestler wants to end the match, he ends the match. The match is ended either way.

By "either can end the match" I mean the coach can end the match or the wrestler. If the coach wants to end the match, he ends the match. If the wrestler wants to end the match, he ends the match. The match is ended either way.

I understood your comment, but it would seem prudent that the wrestler cannot continue on his own, without the involvement of the coach/adult. I could see a kid saying he was good to go, but really he isn't. I didn't see where the coach was involved in the clip...maybe he was or there wasn't enough footage here to determine that. Who knows??

It would be similar in concept to the concussion protocol in football. The player, who may not be thinking straight, cannot overrule the coach/trainer and continue playing without adult consultation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT