ADVERTISEMENT

Father accused of tackling student-athlete during wresting match

THIS is why we should have more B1G duals. A whole week between meets, nothing to discuss but lunatic dads.

It was a nasty slam, the ref awarded the penalty point, and the the kid who got slammed immediately got down in referees position. He seemed to be ok and very lucky.
Dad comes into view at full speed, and tackles the opponent. Dad's reaction was not out of concern for his son, or he would have ran to his son to make sure he was ok.
The dad went after the other kid, angry and pissed off. Inexcusable.

Last edited:
If you're going to feel the need to act like this as a father, then you shouldn't let your kid compete in sports. Yes it was a dirty throw. Yes the ref should've called it. Yes the kid's coaches should've raised hell. No the dad shouldn't have run onto the mat and tackled the other guy. ****ing embarrassing. His son is what, 17 or 18? Of course you need to be there for your kid and support them. But what a horrible lesson to teach a 17-18 year old young man that daddy is going to come save the day if you have a rough out. I'll bet his son was embarrassed as hell by this.
I wonder if you would have the same reaction if your son was now a paraplegic after a bullshit move like that.

JFC look at this knucklehead here.

You'd be willing to go after a HS kid because of a slam? Seems completely rational and well thought out.

Please don't let your kid wrestle. And if he's tough enough to wrestle please don't attend his matches.

So....if your kid is at bat in a baseball game and gets beaned by the pitcher, you're going to physically attack the pitcher? If your kid is playing football and receives a vicious chop block or helmet-to-helmet hit, you're going to run onto the field and attack the opposing player? If your kid is playing soccer and someone lays a brutal foul on his legs, you're going to run onto the field and attack the guilty player? I could go on and on with examples. The last thing we need is for parents to run onto sports fields to physically attack a player who they perceive as having done something egregious to their child. That needs to be left to the officials, coaches and teammates.

You guys have been around the board a long time. So tell me, were you in any way surprised at that post?

It is the refs job to protect the wrestlers from illegal, dirty and dangerous moves, throws, holds and wrestlers. Depending on the circumstances I would be willing to go after the kid, ( if he is a high school kid) the dad and the ref. Who else is going to protect your kid if you aren't.

Wait so what exactly did the ref do wrong? The slam happened pretty quickly, I don't think there was really any stopping that. And even if he tried, those kids looked to be at least 170 or so, then you just end up with a ref potentially in the hospital instead.

So....if your kid is at bat in a baseball game and gets beaned by the pitcher, you're going to physically attack the pitcher? If your kid is playing football and receives a vicious chop block or helmet-to-helmet hit, you're going to run onto the field and attack the opposing player? If your kid is playing soccer and someone lays a brutal foul on his legs, you're going to run onto the field and attack the guilty player? I could go on and on with examples. The last thing we need is for parents to run onto sports fields to physically attack a player who they perceive as having done something egregious to their child. That needs to be left to the officials, coaches and teammates.

Those are good points. But if it's tennis, and the opponent intentionally
smokes a ball at Li'l WeH8's
trachea, I'm all for Big WeH8 charging the court to defend his son.

But mainly because I'd get a real chuckle out of seeng Big WeH8 get tough on a tennis court . . . especially decked out in little white shorts and matching polo.

Regardless of the feelings of the affected wrestler...should not the coach be involved in that decision? In other words, no matter the feelings of the wrestler, I think the coach should be the final determinant. I wouldn't trust a 15-18 year old kid to get it right every time in that type of situation.
Kids have tendency to think they are hurt much worse than they are these days. (I am coaching at the high school level and have been for the past 25 years). When a kid gets "hurt" I always ask him if he can continue. If he says "yes" then I tell the trainer he is ready to go. I have never had a kid get hurt to the point where I had to tell him the match was over. So, yes the coach can be involved but usually the kid makes the decision.

It is the refs job to protect the wrestlers from illegal, dirty and dangerous moves, throws, holds and wrestlers. Depending on the circumstances I would be willing to go after the kid, ( if he is a high school kid) the dad and the ref. Who else is going to protect your kid if you aren't.
You should never be allowed to attend your own kid's sporting events. They lock up people like you.

I thought this was a great response on themat.com

That slam wasn't intentional. Bad wrestlers sometimes lack the control better wrestlers have. Bad wrestlers also don't know how to react to being lifted off the mat like that.

Likewise, dad's of bad wrestlers who also lack basic wrestling knowledge tend to over react to things on the mat based on inexperience. The last I heard, NC still has no organized junior high wrestling.

Sometimes when you watch too much elite wrestling, you forget how bad the wrestling can be out there.

the way I see it - slam was not intentional and exacerbated by bottom wrestler by using bad practices. funny part is, you could argue that top wrestlers knees hit mat first (see image)

ZpRh8Di.png

regardless, inexcusable reaction by the father. as others mentioned, if you are going to rush the mat, check on your kid man.

Reactions: rassling
I wonder if you would have the same reaction if your son was now a paraplegic after a bullshit move like that.

Me rushing the mat wouldn't prevent my kid from being paraplegic. What happens if your kid is playing football and gets paralyzed from targeting by an opposing player, you rushing the field? Where does is stop. And if you rush the mat after that kid, does that kid's dad have the right to rush the mat after you. I mean, he'd be sticking up for and protecting his kid, so it must be ok, yes?

I remember a parent running out onto the mat during a dual meet 25 years ago in high school. He was going after the ref, he was stopped by some other people before he got to the ref though.

@Urohawk Do you remember this?

a Doctor in my hometown rushed the basketball floor during a high school game, he tackled the ref at the knees after the ref made a bad call. He ended up apologizing to the entire high school. (his son was the PG)

Reactions: wasdt21
I thought this was a great response on themat.com

That slam wasn't intentional. Bad wrestlers sometimes lack the control better wrestlers have. Bad wrestlers also don't know how to react to being lifted off the mat like that.

Likewise, dad's of bad wrestlers who also lack basic wrestling knowledge tend to over react to things on the mat based on inexperience. The last I heard, NC still has no organized junior high wrestling.

Sometimes when you watch too much elite wrestling, you forget how bad the wrestling can be out there.

the way I see it - slam was not intentional and exacerbated by bottom wrestler by using bad practices. funny part is, you could argue that top wrestlers knees hit mat first (see image)

ZpRh8Di.png

regardless, inexcusable reaction by the father. as others mentioned, if you are going to rush the mat, check on your kid man.

That was a good response. I’ve mentioned before that from 182 up it becomes like coaching the little ones. Tell me bottom guy’s coach wasn’t yelling “Don’t reach back!” just before the slam. That was a big part of where things went south.

It looked unintentional to me.

That was a good response. I’ve mentioned before that from 182 up it becomes like coaching the little ones. Tell me bottom guy’s coach wasn’t yelling “Don’t reach back!” just before the slam. That was a big part of where things went south.

It looked unintentional to me.
that's funny on the technical aspects of the heavier weights. I have said, the little guys are like jitter bugs, they fly all over the mat and upsets happen pretty often...…...the big guys -its one false move and the match is over if someone gets trapped underneath...…….the best-true wrestling happens in the middleweights.

I was so close to running out on the mat at Winter Nationals once. It wasn’t the other kid I was going after it was my own dumb kid not giving up position when he was about to snap his neck draped over on a shot. The ref was on the other side and couldn’t see it. Longest minute of my life. I was pissed he didn’t give up the position. Said he’d break his neck before he did that. Big talk.

does that kid's dad have the right to rush the mat after you. I mean, he'd be sticking up for and protecting his kid, so it must be ok, yes?
Yes! Some adult attacks your kid you have the right to intervene. How many dads on here just sit there and say wow he really shouldnt do that to my son?

I don't agree with the dad in this case. The slam didn't appear to be malicious. The question I would throw back at you is where do you draw the line? I think this is one of the most egregious things ever done in any sport. I'm normally a super calm guy but if I was this guy's dad, I probably would have to have been stopped from murdering him with a bat.

https://qctimes.com/sports/baseball...cle_5e13b6d0-a341-5395-8911-22ae5e2061a0.html

I remember a parent running out onto the mat during a dual meet 25 years ago in high school. He was going after the ref, he was stopped by some other people before he got to the ref though.

@Urohawk Do you remember this?

I vaguely recall that but wasn't there when it happened.

12 or so years ago there was a national news story featuring a clip of a dad rushing a youth wrestler (10 or younger) for I guess being too rough. It turned out to the kid and dad were at the club I took my kids to a couple years later. Befriended the guy and he was beyond remorseful for his actions.

It seems like the old adage of "two wrongs don't make a right" comes into play here. There was only one wrong, and there was no need for another.

I had to run out on to the mat once. I know my son well and could tell his throat was closing up. It had happened before. No one seemed to notice, especially the kid torqueing on him. I did not go after the kid, I simply stepped in and removed my son from the mat. The kid quickly let go.

If the man thought his son was in danger he simply steps in and removes his son. That is saving your son, which is good. To go after the other wrestler is retribution, which is wrong.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT