ADVERTISEMENT

Father shot to death in front of his 8-year- old daughter selling a gun via Facebook Marketplace at a neutral location

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
This is tragic. I did not know that you can sell guns on facebook mp. I would think of it as a dangerous transaction based on what is being sold and the amount of cash. In this case, the seller was ambushed and was with his daughter. Hope they catch the shooters.

They were taking a road trip together, with plans to finish off the day at Whataburger.

Instead, Hamrick ended up with a fatal gunshot wound to the head that police say happened during a gun deal brokered on Facebook Marketplace.

And his young daughter, who is preparing to enter the third grade, ended up covered in blood after witnessing something no child should ever have to endure.

The deadly shooting happened about 4:30 p.m. Sunday in the 1300 block of Sixth Avenue North in Bessemer. Lt. Christian Clemons said Hamrick and his daughter traveled to Bessemer from Cleburne County to sell two guns.

There was little conversation and apparently no confrontation before at least three bullets were fired into Hamrick’s sedan. Hamrick’s daughter was in the front passenger’s seat but miraculously was unharmed.

“Just a matter of a misplaced angle or a misplaced bullet,’’ he said, “and we’re talking about her being struck as well.”

The shooting happened in broad daylight in a residential area near downtown Bessemer and next to the Salvation Army.

Kelli Brown was inside her home when she heard the shots. Her son-in-law had taken the dog out and came back inside saying someone had been shot.

She went outside to see what was happening.

“I looked around the corner and that’s when I saw the man leaning over. You could see he had been shot in his left temple,’’ Brown said. “I heard a child screaming. She got out of the car and came around and, bless her heart, she didn’t want to leave her daddy.”

RPLJRRSOXNGWTMCBIRXYIIV4II.JPG

Was he shot with the gun he was selling?

If so why did he bring it with it loaded or even any rounds in the magazine?

Given that the guy shot his own leg off trying to clean his gun, it doesn't surprise me that he was this stupid. It's sad a kid had to go through that though.

This is why I would only sell a gun to an FFL, even if I have to take a hit on the price. If I can't background check my buyer I'm not going to sell to them.

A number of police stations have a “transaction area” in their parking lots with cameras and where cops are walking in and out.

Anything where you’re dealing with a large amount of cash or a weapon can turn dangerous. Why on earth would you bring an 8-year old?

Sad story, but the guy put himself and his daughter in a terrible position.

As it said in the story, meet at a police safe zone, I would think that is especially true if you are selling a firearm.

No description of the suspects? I assume they used a burner phone to set this up but can’t see them evading arrest for too long.

ADVERTISEMENT