ADVERTISEMENT

Father's Day plans? (Now with Pics!)

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
One of my sons has to work on Sunday so we're doing Father's Day tomorrow.

I have a chicken I split in half and it's dry brining in the fridge as I type this.

I'm going to cook these two bird halves two different ways:

Left side: This one is going to be a traditional BBQ chicken, smoked on the Webber Kettle with the Vortex accessory. I'm using Meat Church's "The Gospel" rub with a very light second dusting of the "Holy Cow" rub. A mix of hickory and cherry for smoke.

Right side: This one is going to be cooked on the "herb bird's nest" on the Pit Barrel Cooker! Only SPG for seasoning on this bird, and no wood chunks. Just herbs for smoke.

I'll be making some Alabama White Sauce (not Malcom's recipe.. mine is more bold -- and I'm going to try some of the "Holy Cow" mixed in there :D). That'll work great on both chicken versions.

I'll also make a quick chicken broth with the chicken back, onions, celery and carrots along with herbs. This will form the base for traditional chicken gravy. That's probably only going to be good on the herb bird.

Anyway, in case you haven't seen it, here's the herb bird's nest smoked chicken video:

Last edited:
Going to my parents to swim in their pool. I always cook for my dad on Father's day so I'm gonna do 3 racks of ribs and a pork loin. Sides tbd

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Hosting a bunch of rugrats for my son’s fourth birthday party. Oh and the in-laws. Should be a swell time.

On the front end of a gout flare today. :(

Assuming I can get past that sufficiently, probably ride the bike for a couple hours, hit some golf balls, and/or watch some us open.

Going to Henderson Beach.

Throw on a couple steaks in evening, crack open a beer, and hope the neighbor gals make a girls gone wild video.
e0c.gif

Top Golf starting at 1100 for two hours with the family. After that come home and watch the US Open while the wife watches the kids. Nothing special for food as we are getting our house ready for movers next Tuesday.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I’ll try to get ahold of my dad. These days my only chance of talking to him is when my brother goes to visit and he brings his cell phone. Dementia has hit my dad pretty hard. When I do talk to him, he rambles on about one thing then another. After the call, I have no idea if he knew who he was talking to.
Cherish your parents while you have them, folks. It will be way too soon when you don’t.

I’ll try to get ahold of my dad. These days my only chance of talking to him is when my brother goes to visit and he brings his cell phone. Dementia has hit my dad pretty hard. When I do talk to him, he rambles on about one thing then another. After the call, I have no idea if he knew who he was talking to.
Cherish your parents while you have them, folks. It will be way too soon when you don’t.

The last time I saw my grandfather while he still lived in his house, some tree guys were there because his big ass oak tree had been struck by lightning and killed, and it had to be removed.

Every 15 minutes or so he would become aware of the chainsaw noises and would walk out back and start yelling at the guys to leave his tree alone.

I remember trying to talk him down at one point and tell him that they're supposed to be there and he looked me straight in the eye and said, "WHO THE FVCK ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU IN MY HOUSE???"

He was at the nursing home shortly after that.

I feel your pain. Same thing with my mom...it was a long 9 years. In the end she spent her days in a fetal position.

• Sad
Reactions: Tenacious E
One of my sons has to work on Sunday so we're doing Father's Day tomorrow.

I have a chicken I split in half and it's dry brining in the fridge as I type this.

I'm going to cook these two bird halves two different ways:

Left side: This one is going to be a traditional BBQ chicken, smoked on the Webber Kettle with the Vortex accessory. I'm using Meat Church's "The Gospel" rub with a very light second dusting of the "Holy Cow" rub. A mix of hickory and cherry for smoke.

Right side: This one is going to be cooked on the "herb bird's nest" on the Pit Barrel Cooker! Only SPG for seasoning on this bird, and no wood chunks. Just herbs for smoke.

I'll be making some Alabama White Sauce (not Malcom's recipe.. mine is more bold -- and I'm going to try some of the "Holy Cow" mixed in there :D). That'll work great on both chicken versions.

I'll also make a quick chicken broth with the chicken back, onions, celery and carrots along with herbs. This will form the base for traditional chicken gravy. That's probably only going to be good on the herb bird.

Anyway, in case you haven't seen it, here's the herb bird's nest smoked chicken video:

Pics!

Bike ride and picnic with extended family; then with a little (lotta) help from my friends, I’m gonna rock out a small town bar in Wisconsin with my steel guitar antics.

Doing what we do every time there's an Atlanta United home game--attend, drink and hope for a win.

So as I've mentioned in other threads, I tend to play around with the ratios of ingredients for the Alabama White Sauce until it tastes right. This is how I did it last night:

1 cup Blue Plate mayo
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs worshchestershire (sp?)
1 tbs white sugar
2 tbs of Meat Church Holy Cow rub (this replaces the pepper, salt and garlic parts of the recipe that I typically use, and adds some other good stuff). I started with 1 tbs and decided another would be better, and I was right)
1 tsp ground ginger (my secret ingredient)

Mixed that up real good with a whisk, put it in a lidded container, and let those flavors marinate.

Meanwhile, the chicken skin looks nice and dried out. It'll be about 40 hours total dry brining time.

This is gonna be guud.

ADVERTISEMENT