ADVERTISEMENT

****Favorite all-time Illinois Fighting Illini****

MeetTheFerentz

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2006
We did something like this some years ago and it was pretty fun. With the school year out, spring football in the rearview mirror and football season still well ahead of us, this is a time of year when something different is needed on this board. We'll cover all 13 of our B1G brethren as well as a few others this summer. There will be 4 categories, but you don't need an answer for all if you don't want:

1) Football player
2) Basketball player or other sport
3) Female athlete
4) Non-athlete

I'll start for this one, but since I don't want to "take the best answers" being first to select every time, for most schools I'll let others go first. Have fun and be cordial.

1) Dick Butkus
2) Kendall Gill
3) Tonja Buford-Bailey
4) Hugh Hefner

Reactions: VicHawkeye
C'mon ya Dick Butkus!!!!

I know it's a tough call. Butkus was one of the greatest middle linebackers to ever play the game. If somebody says he was the greatest, I won't argue with that.

Grange was a charter member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In the fledgling days of the NFL George Halas signed him with the Chicago Bears, 1925 I think. Halas and the Bears went on what I've seen called a Barnstorming Tour. Grange paid a lot of bills for Halas that needed paying, and helped the young NFL.

Link: http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-red-grange-football-history-photos-20141008/

Reactions: VicHawkeye
In the mid-70s Illinois had a defensive lineman named John DeFeliciantonio. When the Illini came to Kinnick, P.A. announcer Reverend Bob correctly pronounced his name after his first tackle. From that point on, Rev. Bob would say "Tackle by Johnny-D." The crowd loved it.

How can you have a favorite illini anything when it comes to men's sports? Or any other conference rival? I know it's may but no thanks....have fun

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
I actually respected J Leman and liked watching him play.... also Dee Brown was a legit player too... trying to think of hot Illini chicks but can't at the moment

Reactions: amahawk
1) Jim Grabowski
2) Kendrick Nunn
3) Tonya Williams
4) Gene Hackman (attended, but graduated Pasadena Playhouse)

I didn't know this until this morning, but The Chief from Carmen Sandiego went to UI-UC.

CSB, I know.

I didn't realize they could also put a great list together of "Cool Sounding Names" from their programs.

Butkus/Grange
Ben Wilson (my friend went to Simeon and was one of his best friends)

Hef. My grandma graduated from the same hs as Hef, Steinmetz in Chicago.

I realize that Wilson never got to play for them. Such a horrible tragedy.

We did something like this some years ago and it was pretty fun. With the school year out, spring football in the rearview mirror and football season still well ahead of us, this is a time of year when something different is needed on this board. We'll cover all 13 of our B1G brethren as well as a few others this summer. There will be 4 categories, but you don't need an answer for all if you don't want:

1) Football player
2) Basketball player or other sport
3) Female athlete
4) Non-athlete

I'll start for this one, but since I don't want to "take the best answers" being first to select every time, for most schools I'll let others go first. Have fun and be cordial.

1) Dick Butkus
2) Kendall Gill
3) Tonja Buford-Bailey
4) Hugh Hefner
J C Caroline

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT