ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Bar in Iowa City

millah_22

HR Legend
Jun 15, 2004
Omaha
Visiting IC now. I used to frequent The Mill, George’s, and Joe’s. I have to say the Big Grove South Gilbert location is top notch and reminds me of a lot of the PNW breweries. Def a destination to visit.

Just got dinner at Bluebird, and visiting my friends at George’s. I hope the Karr’s stay in charge for a long time.

Mill is still great, and Short's could be a good call on a weeknight. I haven't spent much time there, but it's kinda cool to access an all Iowa brewery tap list.

Reactions: millah_22
I always felt most at home at The Green Room (RIP). Close second was The Deadwood was always my favorite, especially the big round "mafia" booth in the corner. My mom (no pic) tended bar there on its opening night. Runners up include Gabe's, The Mill, The Vine (IC), Dublin Underground.

In college it was Piano Lounge and Fieldhouse (3rd Base at the time).

Now I mostly stick with Joe's, Mickey's, or TCB if we head downtown at all. Clinton street social club seemed decent when we stopped in there a few years ago, but been back. Anymore we usually stay in Coralville or North Liberty.

Dublin
Deadwood
The Mill
I spent a lot of time at the old Mill, back in the day. My favorite place for an early afternoon beer, though was The Hawk's Nest. Runnerup in that category would have been Joe's Place. I was never one of the people who went to Li'l Bills to look at different colored people.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
I spent a lot of time at the old Mill, back in the day. My favorite place for an early afternoon beer, though was The Hawk's Nest. Runnerup in that category would have been Joe's Place. I was never one of the people who went to Li'l Bills to look at different colored people.

We just went to Kinnick in my day.

Last edited:

My parents love this place. I've only been a handful of times. They also like Carl and Ernie's.

In college it would probably be Sam's Pizza with the Sports Column a close second. Recently I started seeing a girl from IA City and we hit up Clinton Street Social Club (old One Eyed Jakes). I really like that place now

In my Iowa days of the early 80's, pints meant Tuesday night at The Airliner for fifty-cent refills of your pint jar.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My parents love this place. I've only been a handful of times. They also like Carl and Ernie's.

In college it would probably be Sam's Pizza with the Sports Column a close second. Recently I started seeing a girl from IA City and we hit up Clinton Street Social Club (old One Eyed Jakes). I really like that place now
I wondered how the Clinton Street Social Club was. I haven't seen anybody mention it before this thread. How's the food?

In my experience, too few college students find/know about the Club Car, which was probably a good thing. Definitely a locals bar or students who happen to live near by. I went there consistently during all of college and still go back when I'm back in Iowa City seeing my folks. Still know a few of the bartenders and many of the regulars.

Great bar.

Haven't been down to Iowa City in a few months but go to place used to be Blue Moose, but that seems to have gone downhill quite a bit since graduating in 2010.

The new hotel restaurant is called Vue Rooftop, I have heard pretty meh things about it too.

Clinton Street is great, food has always been very good too. I do know though they changed over owners during the summer but maintained much of the same staff. Not sure long term what the plans are to change names/themes.

We ate at 30Hop before we headed over there. Also went up in the new hotel restaurant called "The View" or something like that. It was meh.
We thought about going to 30Hop on Saturday. I looked at the menu and wasn't sure there was a lot my kids would like. We went to Monica's instead and really liked it. I'd never been.

Used to love The Que before it became the Blue Moose. Had some friends live above Gabe's and spent some good times there.
Other than that, Joe's Place, Dublin, Deadwood and Sport's Column were favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT