ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite bowl game to attend in person.

I’ve heard the Alamo was a really great time. Small enough town to navigate and be in the action. Hope the conference ties back to that bowl, I’d like to go sometime.
The Alamo bowl is an unbelievable good time.
There are no bad bowl games.
I would go to Outback every year.

Reactions: Hawktruck
Cap One in Orlando
Outback in Tampa-Great view and nice comfy seats.
Son lives in St Pete so both were nice but Outback over the Cap One.

I was at the 2005 capital one bowl and that last second pastor Drew Tate beat LSU and Nick saban was heaven. I did enjoy last year's holiday boil beating USC and their snobby fans

Orlando, Drew to Warren, brother and myself second deck 50 yd. line. Still get shivers thinking about it. Together we broke a bowl game beer consumption record. Good times. :D
I think my group must have placed second then for beer consumption that day. What made that game all that much sweeter is we were in a section that was all LSU fans. To their credit, they were a class bunch. All they kept saying after LSU took the lead late was asking how good the Hawks kicker was over and over.

The Orange Bowl, in 2010, as the Hawkeyes won their BCS bowl vs GaTech was an absolute BLAST. Even though weather was cool, for Miami. A Hawkeye party for 4-5 days.

Alamo Bowl is a lot of fun, too.

Would love to be at a Rose Bowl that the Hawkeyes win. Have been at one of them...…...somehow missed the Rose Parade due to prior nite's activities. :)

Reactions: IAGuy
This was tough for me. I’ve been to the Outback bowl twice which was a fun experience. The Rose Bowl was also fun to be at, not watch.
Never been to the Rose or Orange, obviously. The Alamo was by far the best for me. Didn't like Orlando. Phoenix was nice, overall.

I've been to the Orange, the Citrus, and the Outback twice. Based on the non-game experience, and skewed as I was there with the HMB and not a regular fan, it's easily the Outback.

Reactions: NI hawk
Honestly the Rose Bowl was a fun week, and beautiful Location once you were in your seats...but it was a nightmare getting into the stadium, and the concourse. So that plus the most recent game outcome will always leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Capital One was the most fun for me. The game was amazing. That is the best ending to a football game I will ever see in person. The town was fun. Universal was fun on NYE. Kissimmee, where we stayed, even had a hurricane or tropical storm go through.

Outback was always fun too. Only had one bad experience (when we lost to Florida but it was for so many other reasons). Clearwater Beach may be one of my favorite spots in the US.

Alamo was cool. Game sucked but San Antonio and the Riverwalk were awesome. I wish I spent more time there... we didn't even see the Alamo! As a history teacher, that is pretty lame.

Edit, forgot Orange. Miami was really cold so it was hard to gauge. It wasn't as cool as I thought it would be and I'm not into the club scene. Game was fun and it was Iowa's only BCS win.

The Rose Bowl, honestly, is at the end of the list. Not a huge fan of LA but still did some fun stuff. The most disappointing thing was the stadium. Picturesque, absolutely. Everything else was lame. Stadium was old and in need of a facelift. Took FOREVER to get in. Amenities, which I usually don't care about at all, weren't great. Oh, and Christian McCaffery just scored again.

Last edited:
I’ve heard the Alamo was a really great time. Small enough town to navigate and be in the action. Hope the conference ties back to that bowl, I’d like to go sometime.
San Antonio a small town? Second largest in Texas(population wise). With the dome on the edge of downtown and everyone’s favorite attraction the Riverwalk, SA Is a good bowl city.

Parking Lot at 2003 Orange was insane. One Port O Potty per row of cars? Didnt end well. Saw girls drop and squat right on the ground. Atmosphere at kickoff was insane, then CJ's return was off the charts. Rest of the game sucked.

Reactions: ThisHawks4u
San Antonio a small town? Second largest in Texas(population wise). With the dome on the edge of downtown and everyone’s favorite attraction the Riverwalk, SA Is a good bowl city.

Always get a kick out of the "San Antonio is great" angle. You ask people why and they say..."Well, the river walk is cool".

Ok, what else? .... crickets.

Always get a kick out of the "San Antonio is great" angle. You ask people why and they say..."Well, the river walk is cool".

Ok, what else? .... crickets.
The Pearl, King William, St Mary’s Strip, Mission San Jose, La Cantera and The Rim are all great. You obviously haven’t spent much time in San Antonio or you haven’t visited in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
The Pearl, King William, St Mary’s Strip, Mission San Jose, La Cantera and The Rim are all great. You obviously haven’t spent much time in San Antonio or you haven’t visited in the last 15 years.

Never have. I just repeated the common reply people give when you ask what's cool in San Antonio.
You put more in your response than nearly all the others I've ever gotten combined.

2015-2016 Rose Bowl trip. The game sucked, the stadium is way over-rated and sucks, but we went the the 2nd-to-last ever Motley Crue concert at the Staples Center which was all kinds of awesome.

2006 Outback Bowl against Florida. Tampa/Ybor City was fun, game sucked, Florida fans suck, refs sucked, but met some LSU fans on NY Eve in Ybor City and they were loads of fun. They just happened to be there, LSU was beating up on ND that bowl season someplace else, I recall.

I'd take Tampa over LA if I had to pick one to visit again.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Honestly the Rose Bowl was a fun week, and beautiful Location once you were in your seats...but it was a nightmare getting into the stadium, and the concourse. So that plus the most recent game outcome will always leave a sour taste in my mouth.
I remember that. We had to park like 2 miles from the stadium and take a golf cart down to the stadium.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Alamo Bowl. Had fun every day there, don't remember most of the nights. For the first few days there, Hawk fans had the River Walk to ourselves, there was black and gold as far as you could see. The day before the game, Texas Tech fans rolled in, and they were EVERYWHERE. But we won the game, so it's all good.

The 2016 Rose Bowl was the best trip aside from the game itself.

Otherwise, I'd have to say the 2009 Outback Bowl vs South Carolina is my next favorite. Great fans and tailgating on both sides. The result for the Hawks helped a lot too, especially since the few prior seasons were disappointing.

I remember that. We had to park like 2 miles from the stadium and take a golf cart down to the stadium.
Yep - We ended up walking it. And up around the stadium was the most claustrophobic I have ever been in my life. They had us almost in cattle runs with gates/fences, but no one in the crowd could find an open entrance until people started crawling up on planters to even see which direction to go. It was a MESS. Still a fun week overall but I don't have a burning desire to return to the stadium...next time if I wanted to go I would probably do the week in the SoCal sun do the other bowl week festivities, hit the parade and find a nice Hawk bar to watch the game in....

On a positive note I have always heard GREAT things about the Outback, and the old Alamo bowl/Riverwalk (Sad I missed out on those!).

2015-2016 Rose Bowl trip. The game sucked, the stadium is way over-rated and sucks, but we went the the 2nd-to-last ever Motley Crue concert at the Staples Center which was all kinds of awesome.

2006 Outback Bowl against Florida. Tampa/Ybor City was fun, game sucked, Florida fans suck, refs sucked, but met some LSU fans on NY Eve in Ybor City and they were loads of fun. They just happened to be there, LSU was beating up on ND that bowl season someplace else, I recall.

I'll take LSU fans over Florida fans any day.

We rode to the parade with some fellow Hawk fans who were at that concert and had nothing but amazing things to say about it....(Given the time we were headed to the parade...it must have been a real, real short night for them).

ADVERTISEMENT