ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Movie of 1999?

ericram

HB Heisman
Nov 5, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
Saw a NYT article this morning and got me thinking.

There were so many great movies that year.

“The Matrix” was mentioned nearly twice as often as any other film. “Fight Club,” “Office Space,” “American Beauty”

So many more. Office space didn't become a classic until years later for me.

The biggest movie for me that year was the Matrix being a huge SciFi fan.

What say you?

Wow, I would suggest everyone go to the linked article in OP, there were a ton of great movies from 1999.
I would probably say The Matrix was the most impactful for me. I saw it in the theater, nicely stoned, not knowing anything about it ahead of time. I don't think I had even seen an advertisement. I was totally blown away.
Looking back, it would no longer be my favorite from the year, but it did provide me with one of my favorite all time movie viewing experiences.

Saw a NYT article this morning and got me thinking.

There were so many great movies that year.

“The Matrix” was mentioned nearly twice as often as any other film. “Fight Club,” “Office Space,” “American Beauty”

So many more. Office space didn't become a classic until years later for me.

The biggest movie for me that year was the Matrix being a huge SciFi fan.

What say you?

Thank you!

Fight Club for my second. That movie really took off on DVD for the Easter eggs.

no question the answer is Matrix and i've seen most of the movies listed previously in the thread
i still remember walking into the theater knowing nothing about the matrix movie and had no expectations. the experience was jaw dropping to say the least. went back and watched it in the theater again a month later.

Reactions: ericram
Fight Club because 25 years later it's a reflection of segments of American society.

Sarcastic Joke GIF

• Haha
Good lists. I would add:

The Insider
Three Kings
October Sky

I remember going to Star Wars Phantom Menace that summer of 1999. I am pretty sure we all took off work to see it as a matinee the opening day. What an event that was.

Wow, there were a lot of great ones…

My Favorites:
Sixth Sense
Talented Mr. Ripley
Matrix
Office Space
Election
American Movie (great independent movie, documentary style. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend)
I would ultimately choose The Talented Mr. Ripley. The more I matured, the more i appreciated that movie.

Office space for me. I watched that movie way too many times. So many great one liners.

The conversation about what you'd do with a million dollars is amazing, including...

"You don't have to have a million dollars to do nothing, take a look at my cousin, he's broke don't do sh#t!"

And...

"That's easy man...two chicks at the same time."

Office space for me. I watched that movie way too many times. So many great one liners.

The conversation about what you'd do with a million dollars is amazing, including...

"You don't have to have a million dollars to do nothing, take a look at my cousin, he's broke don't do sh#t!"

And...

"That's easy man...two chicks at the same time."
Did you actually watch it in 1999?

Good lists. I would add:

The Insider
Three Kings
October Sky

I remember going to Star Wars Phantom Menace that summer of 1999. I am pretty sure we all took off work to see it as a matinee the opening day. What an event that was.
Forgot about October Sky. Great movie. I remember when my wife and I went to the theatre to see it. We got popcorn, soda, sat in our seats, and my wife asked “what’s this movie about, anyway?” The look I got when I responded, “model rockets”.

The best was probably The Green Mile (which I do like a lot). My favorites are The Matrix and Office Space (one of my top 5 comedies ever). Those two and Grosse Point Blank are my 3 favorite movies of the 90s

Office Space, i was just starting cubicle life hell. Did not see it in theatre though, didn't see it until rented it and only because a coworker recommended it.

The best was probably The Green Mile (which I do like a lot). My favorites are The Matrix and Office Space (one of my top 5 comedies ever). Those two and Grosse Point Blank are my 3 favorite movies of the 90s

Grosse Point Blank.....another fantastic movie. Still regretting not meeting Cusack at the draft in KC last year. He was 20 feet from me. But I didn't want to be that guy.

There were some really great films that year but the best of the best was:

Titus:

This film was based on the Shakespearian play "Titus Andronicus."

Some other good films:

-Cider House Rules
-End of the Affair
-The Green Mile
-Sleepy Hollow
-Tea With Mussolini

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT