ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite RB or backs of all time (Hawks)

hawksense

HR MVP
Jan 16, 2002
With the Tyler Goodson thread, I wondered what RBs were the favorites of HR. People seem to like or dislike him for whatever reason What trips your trigger?
Harmon?
Bell?
Greene?
Betts?
Shaw?
Banks?
Coker?
Robinson?
Wadley?
Russell?
Browne?
Paki?
Im done. Recall says I missed many. Help me with your memories. I loved Adam Robinson’s running style. Doesn’t mean he was my fav. He just always stuck out as someone I liked. Flashier guys get more love. He was solid.

I've always been an Eddie Phillips guy, and I'm not even certain why. Not the most accomplished or most talented, I just really liked the guy. He was part of the three-headed monster RB squad that also included Norm Granger and Owen Gill. Loved those Iowa teams.

1. Harmon (RB aside)
2. Shaw (MSU game was ridiculous)
3. Greene (Beast)
4. Betts (Put the team on his back)
5. Banks (One cut and bye-bye)
**5A. Jermelle Lewis (Complete Back)

Damn what a hand to choose from!
**HAD to add Jermelle - just was getting started!

Last edited:
Tavian! Pure speed and grace.

s-l600.jpg

Greene, Robinson, and Wegher were fantastic but that said the tarnished one named Wadley easily gave us some of the most electrifying runs and production in big games that Ive seen. I like the dude until he made it difficult to.

Who was the kid that was implicated in a sexual assault case and the President(woman)
hung him out to dry.
He was a great back as a freshman I believe.
Kirk had no input power at all in that case.

Who was the kid that was implicated in a sexual assault case and the President(woman)
hung him out to dry.
He was a great back as a freshman I believe.
Kirk had no input power at all in that case.
Coker

Mason wanted to (and did) bring the hammer down on him to over correct for Everson, Satterfield, Pierce, and others that dogged the university in the past.

KF was willing to go to bat for him but the university wouldn't have it.

1. Shonn Greene
2. Freddie Russell
3. Jermelle Lewis - if it weren't for nagging injuries, had potential to be one of the best!

Reactions: natewantofbees
Tavian! Pure speed and grace.

s-l600.jpg
I remember when Shaw and Banks were sharing carries (man, what a backfield)...Hayden would often give Banks most of his carries in the second half when the D was starting to wear. I recall at least two games where he came in from the sidelines and I said to opposing fans sitting near us...Uh oh, watch... #22 is going to take it to the house...and he did. That was some 1-2 punch.

1. Greene had some of the most impressive runs that I can remember. That poor Purdue DB probably still has nightmares from that game. Can you imagine if he’d have come back for another year?
2. Banks was the fastest back I’ve ever seen at Iowa. I grew up watching him and Dwight and that’s what started my insane Hawkeye fandom.
3. Shaw. He was a workhorse!
Also loved the potential of J. Lewis, Coker, and Wegher. Young too. Stupid ARBHG!
Haven’t been too impressed with many of our last few backs, they’ve been serviceable, but nothing special.
I’m excited to see what these next backs can do!

Last edited:
With the Tyler Goodson thread, I wondered what RBs were the favorites of HR. People seem to like or dislike him for whatever reason What trips your trigger?
Harmon?
Bell?
Greene?
Betts?
Shaw?
Banks?
Coker?
Robinson?
Wadley?
Russell?
Browne?
Paki?
Im done. Recall says I missed many. Help me with your memories. I loved Adam Robinson’s running style. Doesn’t mean he was my fav. He just always stuck out as someone I liked. Flashier guys get more love. He was solid.

Adam Robinson was a tough son of a gun. Shame he couldn't stay healthy, and that marijuana was much more regulated back then.

Coker is my personal favorite. Just an absolute dump truck of a runner. I know KF was furious about how he got railroaded by the university.

Liked what these backs brought to the field but really total **** ups in life. They're the Frustrating Four (Wegher, Robinson, Coker, Green).

Do not be mistaken, Coker was not railroaded. Very far from that indeed. But the Coker things bring out the double nature of the OP. Does favorite mean best or just personal affinity. Mine are based on the later.

My favs: Sed, LaDell, Tavian, Freddy and Mike Saunders.

Last edited:
R Harmon- he could do and did do everything on offense. Elusive runner; ran between the tackles; could catch out of back field and caught balls way down field. Amazing offensive player.

S Greene- Had a legit Heisman worthy season as a RB. Power and speed.

Sed Shaw- Just a great back and his overall numbers prove it. Durable and consistent

I've always been an Eddie Phillips guy, and I'm not even certain why. Not the most accomplished or most talented, I just really liked the guy. He was part of the three-headed monster RB squad that also included Norm Granger and Owen Gill. Loved those Iowa teams.

This is the era I started following Hawkeyes Football ...and they definitely hold a special place in my heart.

Add Ronnie, Tavian and big Nick to that list.

Can't really pick one of them as my #1.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
ADVERTISEMENT