ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite RB or backs of all time (Hawks)

With the Tyler Goodson thread, I wondered what RBs were the favorites of HR. People seem to like or dislike him for whatever reason What trips your trigger?
Harmon?
Bell?
Greene?
Betts?
Shaw?
Banks?
Coker?
Robinson?
Wadley?
Russell?
Browne?
Paki?
Im done. Recall says I missed many. Help me with your memories. I loved Adam Robinson’s running style. Doesn’t mean he was my fav. He just always stuck out as someone I liked. Flashier guys get more love. He was solid.
Ronnie Harmon.

Greene, Bell, Wadley

*Watching Greene dismantle Wisconsin in Kinnick was beautiful. Maybe the only time I can recall in recent memory where the back from "Iowa" was the story.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I didn't get the pleasure of seeing Fleming or Jeter - was too young. But did see Podolak - AMAZING on some bad teams. We've actually had some incredible RBs and FBs. My favorite FB before he blew out his quad in 86 against UTEP (never the same) was David Hudson. It's so hard to rank everyone. Harmon was incredible when he hung onto the ball. Nick Bell was a man among boys. Obviously none of us got to see Nile Kinnick (obviously you have to automatically put him #1 and start from there). Thanks for the memories folks

Reactions: Hwkfn1
Maybe not my "all-time favorite" but a guy who I have a great deal of respect for is Jordan Canzeri. The guy came in and worked his tail off.
Also I thought in 2015 when Jordan was healthy he was the best at running behind the Zone blocking scheme. Hardly ever missed a hole!!!

Reactions: NevadaHawk
How has no one mentioned Albert Young? Not my favorite but I’d put him somewhere in the 5-10 range. Ahead of a lot of players that have been mentioned already

Reactions: mtown66
Tavian Banks was probably my favorite to watch and I'm not sure anyone at Iowa has averaged more than his 6.0 YPC in the last 50 years at Iowa as the primary ball carrier.

From a production standpoint, it has to be Sedrick Shaw. How many Iowa RBs had 3 seasons with over 1,000 yards rushing? None that I'm aware of. I've always felt he's one of the most underappreciated RBs ever at Iowa.

The fact that those two guys had to share carries for 3 of their seasons just blows my mind, what an embarrassment of riches! Too bad we couldn't have redshirted Tavian for a year or three. His senior year was superb.

Honorable mention goes to Ladell Betts, what a workhorse RB that kid was for some very mediocre Iowa teams.

Though he only played one year at Iowa, Willie Fleming was heck of a RB. Larry Fergusson was decent. Anyone remember Dennis Mosely from Hayden's first year at Iowa? Nobody ran the end around better than Tim Dwight.
Willie was special as was Bob Jeter -- elected to Rose Bowl Hall of Fame -- if we had him instead of Harmon in the 86 Rose Bowl Hayden would have had his elusive Rose Bowl Win.

So many to choose from, Jeter, Fleming, Podolak, R Harmon, Banks, Shaw, Greene. Jermelle Lewis might have turned out to be the best of all if he did not wreck his knee.

Reactions: Tunadog
Eddie P had less help than almost all of the others. I would have loved to have seen him with a strong Iowa line.

Jeter and Fleming made Duncan’s job easier and they excelled later.

There have been a lot of good memories from all the backs mentioned and we’ve got a number of guys that were difference makers in the gold and black. Thanks to all of them as they’ve made being an Iowa fan a fun ride.

The most fun to watch:
Banks
Greene
Russell
Wadley

The most underrated:
Betts

I will second the thought on Jermell Lewis from above. I have heard from a lot of folks on those teams around that time that said he was unreal at times before he got hurt.

Dennis Mosley, if I'm not mistaken Iowa's first 1000 yd. rusher 1979.
I remember seeing one of Hayden's first press conferences and he seemed incredulous that Iowa had never had a 1000 yard rusher. He vowed to change that and Mosely was his immediate answer. Just another of those snakes he dug up and killed. Damn! I miss that guy as our coach!

Last edited:
I've always been an Eddie Phillips guy, and I'm not even certain why. Not the most accomplished or most talented, I just really liked the guy. He was part of the three-headed monster RB squad that also included Norm Granger and Owen Gill. Loved those Iowa teams.

What made those particular teams special for you ?

What made those particular teams special for you ?
They were the Iowa teams from my youth. I was 10-15 years old. Everything was magical from back then. Iowa football with Phillips, Gill, Granger, Long, Bortz, Haight, the Harmons, Hayes, Alt, Hilgenberg, and Larry Station my all-time favorite Iowa FB player... MBB with Lester, Brookins, Stokes, Payne, Banks, Carfino, Arnold, Hansen, Berkenpas, Gannon the OG flopper... wrestling with Davis, the Banachs, Goldman, Alger, Chiapparelli, Zalesky, Penrith, Heffernan. Those were kind of the golden years of Iowa sports for me because I was young and went to a lot of those games/matches with my dad.

They were the Iowa teams from my youth. I was 10-15 years old. Everything was magical from back then. Iowa football with Phillips, Gill, Granger, Long, Bortz, Haight, the Harmons, Hayes, Alt, Hilgenberg, and Larry Station my all-time favorite Iowa FB player... MBB with Lester, Brookins, Stokes, Payne, Banks, Carfino, Arnold, Hansen, Berkenpas, Gannon the OG flopper... wrestling with Davis, the Banachs, Goldman, Alger, Chiapparelli, Zalesky, Penrith, Heffernan. Those were kind of the golden years of Iowa sports for me because I was young and went to a lot of those games/matches with my dad.
You could probably still see the Heisman, Floyd, Rose Bowl trophies, etc. in the lobby of the Fieldhouse. I remember going into the basketball locker room after games and getting autographs. Had a guy sign that I didn't know and Archie Mays tells me to watch track and field for the next few years and I would learn. Some Edwin Moses fellow, think he was decent at that track thing.

Reactions: AirForceChiefO
You could probably still see the Heisman, Floyd, Rose Bowl trophies, etc. in the lobby of the Fieldhouse. I remember going into the basketball locker room after games and getting autographs. Had a guy sign that I didn't know and Archie Mays tells me to watch track and field for the next few years and I would learn. Some Edwin Moses fellow, think he was decent at that track thing.
Obviously the 1985 win over Michigan will always be legend, I wasn't there for that one but I was in Kinnick for the 26-0 thumping we gave them a year earlier, I was part of the chorus of 'boos' raining down on Bo as he was out on the field crying to the refs. First time Michigan lost in IC since 1962, and first time they were shut out since 1977. And who could ever forget the "Tastes Great!" vs. "Less Filling!" chants in the stands back then. Great day.

With the Tyler Goodson thread, I wondered what RBs were the favorites of HR. People seem to like or dislike him for whatever reason What trips your trigger?
Harmon?
Bell?
Greene?
Betts?
Shaw?
Banks?
Coker?
Robinson?
Wadley?
Russell?
Browne?
Paki?
Im done. Recall says I missed many. Help me with your memories. I loved Adam Robinson’s running style. Doesn’t mean he was my fav. He just always stuck out as someone I liked. Flashier guys get more love. He was solid.
Larry Ferguson. Levi Mitchell. Royce Mix.

Yeah me too…. Great flashback on Rico, Alger, Zelenskyy etc. I wrestled it was a cool time… Not necessarily my favorite time in retrospect of being an Iowa fan. I think I like things better now per se…but I was 11 in 1981 at the Iowa - Nebraska game.

I have to add…all through the 86 to 89 basketball that was a great time and I enjoyed it. I guess I appreciate it a great deal more in my last 20 years

Last edited:
Obviously the 1985 win over Michigan will always be legend, I wasn't there for that one but I was in Kinnick for the 26-0 thumping we gave them a year earlier, I was part of the chorus of 'boos' raining down on Bo as he was out on the field crying to the refs. First time Michigan lost in IC since 1962, and first time they were shut out since 1977. And who could ever forget the "Tastes Great!" vs. "Less Filling!" chants in the stands back then. Great day.

I was at the Rob Houtlin *sp, game it was amazing!!

Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
When healthy and in shape Greene was dominant. Before injuries took their toll he carried the Jets to the AFC championship game twice. Ladell was great and had a good career as a returner and back with Washington. Harmon is the top with his 12 year pro career.

I was at the '84 Michigan game as well. I was in 4th grade and thought the Taste Great-Less Filling chant was hilarious.

Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
I’m going to throw out a couple names. Not necessarily my favorites, but nostalgic names from my youth.

Fred Bush
Scooter Marvin Lampkin
Marshall Cotton

And those 80s were magical. Growing up with these guys as heroes was so cool. There was, and in my opinion, never will be anything like it again for Iowa fans even if the teams all are successful.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
Last fall, Norm Granger reffed one of my games and I admit I was a little star struck!

Obviously the votes aren't for all-time, but for the poster's time. That's totally understandable, but all-time fans who saw Evy's teams might mention Willie Fleming and Bob Jeter. A generation earlier you have Nile Kinnick. Almost twenty years before Nile there is Gordon Locke.

ADVERTISEMENT