ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite RB or backs of all time (Hawks)

pakibomb_medium_400x400.jpg

I didn't get the pleasure of seeing Fleming or Jeter - was too young. But did see Podolak - AMAZING on some bad teams. We've actually had some incredible RBs and FBs. My favorite FB before he blew out his quad in 86 against UTEP (never the same) was David Hudson. It's so hard to rank everyone. Harmon was incredible when he hung onto the ball. Nick Bell was a man among boys. Obviously none of us got to see Nile Kinnick (obviously you have to automatically put him #1 and start from there). Thanks for the memories folks
Kinnick was actually a better DB than RB, if you look at his stats (still holds the Iowa season interception record with 8, despite playing in ONLY 8 games that season! That's all a team played in 1939. That'd be like having 13 picks today).

He won the Heisman for overall play, not just as a player on offense, noting he also was a very good punter, and could placekick as well if needed

My favorites are Greene and Wadley (pre-lawsuit... now he comes across as too bitter).

However, a huge nod to Cervantes and Allen. Two of my favorite fullbacks.

Adam Robinson was a tough son of a gun. Shame he couldn't stay healthy, and that marijuana was much more regulated back then.

Coker is my personal favorite. Just an absolute dump truck of a runner. I know KF was furious about how he got railroaded by the university.
I always “suspected” that rushed in the GD eta.

Adam Robinson was a tough son of a gun. Shame he couldn't stay healthy, and that marijuana was much more regulated back then.

Coker is my personal favorite. Just an absolute dump truck of a runner. I know KF was furious about how he got railroaded by the university.

Kirk was pissed at Coker not the Uni. Coker did not get railroaded, indeed, he got out lucky. None the less it sure deprived Iowa of one or two seasons of powerful running. The guy was great.

Kirk was pissed at Coker not the Uni. Coker did not get railroaded, indeed, he got out lucky. None the less it sure deprived Iowa of one or two seasons of powerful running. The guy was great.
This is not my understanding. I doubt either of us can really post too much about that, but I am curious what you base your position on?

I literally cannot say. Sorry to be a politician but I have to let the statement stand for itself.
I understand. I also have a different take and can’t really get into it. When I heard KoK was leaving prior to it hitting the news, to me that confirmed what I suspected. It’s interesting, both of us presumably were pretty close, and two entirely different takes. My take was one person removed, so assuming you are correct. But still a bit shocked as the one person removed was very close to the situation. I know some of the investigation, but that’s not what I’ve been basing my opinion on.

In the end it doesn’t make any difference, just some interesting conversation on a rainy Saturday evening.

I understand. I also have a different take and can’t really get into it. When I heard KoK was leaving prior to it hitting the news, to me that confirmed what I suspected. It’s interesting, both of us presumably were pretty close, and two entirely different takes. My take was one person removed, so assuming you are correct. But still a bit shocked as the one person removed was very close to the situation. I know some of the investigation, but that’s not what I’ve been basing my opinion on.

In the end it doesn’t make any difference, just some interesting conversation on a rainy Saturday evening.

No shit, I'm so bored I'm watching Tin Star for the second time. As should surprise no one there were various and strong opinions colliding. Coming on the heels of the Robinson/Wegher debacle just made it hurt so much more. Hawks could have had like 5 or 6 consecutive seasons of high-profile running backs. So much wasted potential for those 3 guys.

No shit, I'm so bored I'm watching Tin Star for the second time. As should surprise no one there were various and strong opinions colliding. Coming on the heels of the Robinson/Wegher debacle just made it hurt so much more. Hawks could have had like 5 or 6 consecutive seasons of high-profile running backs. So much wasted potential for those 3

Yup. The difference that I see in recent Iowa seasons is thbetter recruiting has had the most impact in the 2-3 deeps. There were a series of seasons when one bad event essentially ended the season. It isn’t as pronounced now. It hurts, but usually doesn’t wreck an entire season.

With respect to the coaches, it’s really remarkable the consistent winning season they’ve put together. Probably the most impressive was back in the day when they had one bad injury, and not as much depth, and still muddled their way to a winning season. Frustrating as hell for me sitting there watching it, but in retrospect, a remarkable coaching job.

Even last season in retrospect was surprising as I look back on it. That offensive line was just battered, and they still somehow managed to win 10 games.

Last year just felt different than 2015, and certainly different than 2009 and 2002. Even 2008 now that I reflect back.

Winning is fun, but winning at the end of 08, and in 09 was just different. At some point we’ll put another team on the field that will be magic again. This isn’t to take anything away from the 15 and 21 teams. But at the end of 08, and throughout 09, I just expected to win. In 15 I knew the defense was thin towards the end of the season, and we just didn’t have depth to overcome at the end of the season. Last season I had no idea how beat up the o line was after PSU, but I figured it out, and just enjoyed the season for what it was.

The big what if season for me was 2009. That 2008 team plays with anyone in the country by the end of that season. If we brought back a couple of players for 2009 I think we beat Northwestern even after the QB injury by just running the ball.

It will be interesting to see what this season brings. But based on better recruiting and being deeper up and down the roster, look how the expectations have changed, even for those of us who are grounded in reality and understand what we are watching at a higher level.

If we’re talking favorite running back moments, then I go with Phil Blatcher. Going from memory, he ran for 246 yards against MSU in the game that Iowa Clint he’s the 1982 rose bowl birth. I was fortunate enough to be at that game.

the most underrated back is a tie between Davis Hudson and Rick Bayless. If Lee Montgomery was a rolling ball of butcher knives, then Hudson was a rolling ball of chainsaws. Incredibly tough runner whose career was marred by injuries. Bayless just took over for Harmon and was incredibly productive.

Nick Bell was an absolute monster. When Iowa rolled into Champaign for a Big Ten rose bowl showdown in 1990, Illinois coach John Makovic was asked how Illinois would stop Bell. He said that they would tackle him. They didn’t; Iowa crushed Illinois.

somebody mentioned Eddie Phillips earlier. Eddie was very talented. As was the Baby Bull - Owen Gill. Both very unappreciated in Iowa history.

Ronnie Harmon was the most talented iowa football player I have ever seen. He wanted to be a running back, but I never felt that was his best position. He was an absolute stud at receiver his first two years. I think his ticket to the NFL was as a third down back, but he would still be the Iowa record holder for receiving yardage if he would have stayed at WR, in my opinion. He was Lynn Swann graceful and made a number of highlight reel catches.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Yup. The difference that I see in recent Iowa seasons is thbetter recruiting has had the most impact in the 2-3 deeps. There were a series of seasons when one bad event essentially ended the season. It isn’t as pronounced now. It hurts, but usually doesn’t wreck an entire season.

With respect to the coaches, it’s really remarkable the consistent winning season they’ve put together. Probably the most impressive was back in the day when they had one bad injury, and not as much depth, and still muddled their way to a winning season. Frustrating as hell for me sitting there watching it, but in retrospect, a remarkable coaching job.

Even last season in retrospect was surprising as I look back on it. That offensive line was just battered, and they still somehow managed to win 10 games.

Last year just felt different than 2015, and certainly different than 2009 and 2002. Even 2008 now that I reflect back.

Winning is fun, but winning at the end of 08, and in 09 was just different. At some point we’ll put another team on the field that will be magic again. This isn’t to take anything away from the 15 and 21 teams. But at the end of 08, and throughout 09, I just expected to win. In 15 I knew the defense was thin towards the end of the season, and we just didn’t have depth to overcome at the end of the season. Last season I had no idea how beat up the o line was after PSU, but I figured it out, and just enjoyed the season for what it was.

The big what if season for me was 2009. That 2008 team plays with anyone in the country by the end of that season. If we brought back a couple of players for 2009 I think we beat Northwestern even after the QB injury by just running the ball.

It will be interesting to see what this season brings. But based on better recruiting and being deeper up and down the roster, look how the expectations have changed, even for those of us who are grounded in reality and understand what we are watching at a higher level.

If the QB situation gets solved I expect Iowa to win the Division again next year. The core of the offense, except QB, is still young. The defense appears to be outstanding. I opine we will find good return runners. Big ? at K.

I think that answer will be Joe Labas and we will have another 10 win season in 22.

If we’re talking favorite running back moments, then I go with Phil Blatcher. Going from memory, he ran for 246 yards against MSU in the game that Iowa Clint he’s the 1982 rose bowl birth. I was fortunate enough to be at that game.

the most underrated back is a tie between Davis Hudson and Rick Bayless. If Lee Montgomery was a rolling ball of butcher knives, then Hudson was a rolling ball of chainsaws. Incredibly tough runner whose career was marred by injuries. Bayless just took over for Harmon and was incredibly productive.

Nick Bell was an absolute monster. When Iowa rolled into Champaign for a Big Ten rose bowl showdown in 1990, Illinois coach John Makovic was asked how Illinois would stop Bell. He said that they would tackle him. They didn’t; Iowa crushed Illinois.

somebody mentioned Eddie Phillips earlier. Eddie was very talented. As was the Baby Bull - Owen Gill. Both very unappreciated in Iowa history.

Ronnie Harmon was the most talented iowa football player I have ever seen. He wanted to be a running back, but I never felt that was his best position. He was an absolute stud at receiver his first two years. I think his ticket to the NFL was as a third down back, but he would still be the Iowa record holder for receiving yardage if he would have stayed at WR, in my opinion. He was Lynn Swann graceful and made a number of highlight reel catches.
Richard Bass was the "rolling ball of butcher knives". Hayden Fry gave him that name.

Not the best back Iowa has had, but you’d be hard pressed to find one more valuable than Phil Blatcher.

With the Tyler Goodson thread, I wondered what RBs were the favorites of HR. People seem to like or dislike him for whatever reason What trips your trigger?
Harmon?
Bell?
Greene?
Betts?
Shaw?
Banks?
Coker?
Robinson?
Wadley?
Russell?
Browne?
Paki?
Im done. Recall says I missed many. Help me with your memories. I loved Adam Robinson’s running style. Doesn’t mean he was my fav. He just always stuck out as someone I liked. Flashier guys get more love. He was solid.
Anyone who mentions Harmon should be banished, and at the very least, ashamed of themselves. Probably were not old enough to have watched the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day 1986...
Similar lists in my book:
Favorite Actors list:
John Wilkes booth...

Favorite Generals:
Benedict Arnold

Favorite RBs:
Tavian Banks
Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts
Dennis Mosley
Fred Russell
Ed Podolak
Jim Jensen
Sedric Shaw

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Anyone who mentions Harmon should be banished, and at the very least, ashamed of themselves. Probably were not old enough to have watched the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day 1986...
Similar lists in my book:
Favorite Actors list:
John Wilkes booth...

Favorite Generals:
Benedict Arnold

Favorite RBs:
Tavian Banks
Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts
Dennis Mosley
Fred Russell
Ed Podolak
Jim Jensen
Sedric Shaw
Great. Harmon really is in the rare, very rare group of players that are despised by Iowa fans. That was the most blatant game throwing I may have ever seen in college or amateur sports.

Reactions: bman546
Great. Harmon really is in the rare, very rare group of players that are despised by Iowa fans. That was the most blatant game throwing I may have ever seen in college or amateur sports.
I’d have to go with Willie Fleming who Evy called the most talented player he had seen, he was as fast as Tavian but more elusive.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Didn’t Banks have a record for awhile for fewest carries needed to reach 1000 yards(thought it was like 125)
It seems like he did in like 12 carries, I mean gain the whole 1000. Well maybe not 1000 but more than a quarter way there. I think against the Cyclowns.

Last edited:
I am from neither and I would say Harmon. Was a great WR and a dynamic RB. Just too bad he couldn't wait one more game before being paid. Sad way to tarnish what should haver been an incredible legacy.
I'd agree, BUT the fact that he didn't makes his name MUD in my book. He and Wadley may as well have never have played at Iowa for the way their ends came....

My favorites are Greene and Wadley (pre-lawsuit... now he comes across as too bitter).

However, a huge nod to Cervantes and Allen. Two of my favorite fullbacks.
Its not the bitter, the guys a grifter and a thief, and has tried to discredit the program. In a public statement since this lawsuit started he said, "I wish I had never gone to Iowa". His name should be removed from everything to do with Iowa football.........

Maybe not my favorite, but this former Hawk back has had a solid pro career and off to a good start to his 2022 campaign!

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
ADVERTISEMENT