ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Sports Movie

BigDelHawk

HR Legend
Jan 9, 2004
Carryover from the the other board. What are your favorites? What has not held up well, but was awesome back in the day?

Favorite, but a little dated, Breaking Away.

Not holding up well, The Longest Yard, Brians Song.

Rollerball?

The Damned United
Bull Durham
Eight Men Out
A League of Their Own
Moneyball
He Got Game
Rudy

Last edited:
Little Giants

giphy.gif

Reactions: JWolf74
While it can drag in parts, which probably makes it not the best, I'd submit Field of Dreams from the time Ray gets to Boston on. From going to Fenway, Chisholm, picking up Archie, getting back to the farm, people will come Ray, Doc showing up, to wanna have a catch is as good as it gets in movies.

As far as other great sports movies...

Hoosiers
Bull Durham
Miracle

Friday Night Lights

Field Of Dreams was good, but they made Shoeless Joe totally different from who he was in reality.

Carryover from the the other board. What are your favorites? What has not held up well, but was awesome back in the day?

Favorite, but a little dated, Breaking Away.

Not holding up well, The Longest Yard, Brians Song.

Rollerball?
"Hoosiers"

Not sure if it's a favorite, but I flipped on Field of dreams the other night on MLB network. I'd not watched it since I was a kid, but appreciate it at a new level as a grown man with kids of my own. It's a totally different movie now.

Lots of great ones, really hard to pick a favorite.
Brian's Song is right up there for me, but I went to school with his daughter.
Field of Dreams is probably my all-time favorite.

Ones I love to watch whenever they're on:
Bang the Drum Slowly (not aired often enough, though)
Hoosiers
Bull Durham
A League of Their Own
Raging Bull
Rocky, maybe Rocky II; the others though just don't cut it for me.

Glad to see nobody mentioned "Pride of the Yankees." Good enough movie, but vastly overrated. Some others that aren't in the league (pun intended) with "Hoosiers" but are worth watching:

"The Winning Team" with Ronald Reagan as Grover Cleveland Alexander and Doris Day as his wife.

"Secretariat" Great story, and Dianne Lane. Not sure what more a guy could want.

"Chariots of Fire." Takes a few liberties with history, but good movie, great score.

"Follow the Sun," Glenn Ford as Ben Hogan in biopic.

"The Greatest Game Ever Played," tells story of Francis Ouimet's upset of Harry Vardon in the 1913 U.S. Open.

Worst sports movie in the history of cinema probably as "Safe At Home," starring Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle as themselves.

Only 40 days to NCAA opening weekend. Take your pick to help get over your Jones.

Speaking of Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT