ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Sports Movie

white-men-can-t-jump.jpg

This is a good one. The last time I dunked was the year after this came out. I'm 6'0", and I was 35 at the time. The white part of the title doesn't apply to me though.

Too many to list. Overrall I think the baseball movies have the strongest showing

Baseball: Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Major League
Hockey: Mystery, Alaska. Then Slap Shot, Mighty Ducks, Miracle
Football: remember the Titans, varsity Blues, any given Sunday
Golf: Tin Cup, Caddy shack, Happy Gilmore
Soccer: the big green? Honestly, WGAF?

For basketball I'll submit Semi Pro.

And for bowling-i think the standard is Kingpin.

Some may say The Big Lebowski, but I don't think it's really a bowling movie.

Too many to list. Overrall I think the baseball movies have the strongest showing

Baseball: Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Major League
Hockey: Mystery, Alaska. Then Slap Shot, Mighty Ducks, Miracle
Football: remember the Titans, varsity Blues, any given Sunday
Golf: Tin Cup, Caddy shack, Happy Gilmore
Soccer: the big green? Honestly, WGAF?

For basketball I'll submit Semi Pro.

Hockey - may I submit ...

The Babe ...(1992) The life of Babe Ruth as played
by John Goodman. Great film and Goodman was just
perfect for the part of Babe Ruth.

80s soundtrack? Check
Poofy hair? Check

Alright, I may have to look it up
You've never seen Youngblood?

Make sure you watch the unedited (non-TV) version. Much, Much better. Too much stuff gets edited out of the TV version.

Surprises American Anthem hasn't been mentioned.

americananthem02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RTM58
Major League
Miracle
Remember the Titans
Moneyball
Bull Durham
For The Love of the Game (kinda cheesy, but I still liked it)
Sunderland Till I die (documentary on Netflix) - Premier League team that is regulated to champions league and continue to lose and face being regulated again, all while the owner is telling the team President to not spend money and get outta debt....its really, really good...besides how could you not get find something interesting where in the first 10 minutes the city riots because their team lost a friendly...lol...very good doc, even if your not a fan of soccer
First Team Juventus (documentary on Netflix)

Last edited:
Glad to see nobody mentioned "Pride of the Yankees." Good enough movie, but vastly overrated. Some others that aren't in the league (pun intended) with "Hoosiers" but are worth watching:

"The Winning Team" with Ronald Reagan as Grover Cleveland Alexander and Doris Day as his wife.

"Secretariat" Great story, and Dianne Lane. Not sure what more a guy could want.

"Chariots of Fire." Takes a few liberties with history, but good movie, great score.

"Follow the Sun," Glenn Ford as Ben Hogan in biopic.

"The Greatest Game Ever Played," tells story of Francis Ouimet's upset of Harry Vardon in the 1913 U.S. Open.

Worst sports movie in the history of cinema probably as "Safe At Home," starring Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle as themselves.
Me being DL's love interest and equipped like Secretariat. ;)

You've never seen Youngblood?

Make sure you watch the unedited (non-TV) version. Much, Much better. Too much stuff gets edited out of the TV version.

I haven't seen a lot of the classic 80s movies. Saw Goonies for the first time when I was around 25. Thought it sucked.

Remember the Titans
Chariots of Fire
Seabiscuit
Brian's Song
The Greatest Game Ever Played
Invincible
Secretariat
The Natural
Cinderella man
Glory Road
VisionQuest
The Wrestler (most depressing movie ever)
Rollerball
Moneyball
Rush
We are Marshall
Breaking Away

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT