ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Preseason Top 25

Not from the FCS division. It's a no-win. You win...big deal. You lose, it's an embarrassment.

I (and many others) called the NDSU loss in 2016. This one smells the same.
I hope they have a mediocre defense or it MIGHT be possible. I won't pretend to know anything about em but I do know our sorry offense could use a real tune up game :(

And how exactly is Iowa supposed to change it's conference schedule? Realistically Iowa has a say in 2 games each year, and due to $ concerns they will be home games (I don't agree with that but I'm just an idiot behind a phone screen who thinks one less home game every few years won't kill any programs)

Simple. Drop Clown College. KF and GB are the ONLY reasons ISU is still on the schedule.

FSU, UCLA...Iowa.

One of them doesn't belong with regard to a UGa non-con visit.

(Hint: it's the climate, stupid)

Hmm. Georgia WON'T play in Iowa City the first Saturday in September but they WILL play in LA, Tallahassee, or Clemson. Explain how Ia City has a more oppressive climate in September than those places.

FSU, UCLA...Iowa.

One of them doesn't belong with regard to a UGa non-con visit.

(Hint: it's the climate, stupid)
The caveat is that the midwest (including Iowa) is plenty hot on the front-side of the schedule ... when we usually play our OOC games. The issue of difference in climate really doesn't arise until later in the season.

You rarely, if ever, see more southerly teams play B1G teams during the late-fall. When it hits late October ... or even November ... the weather becomes a complete extra wildcard. That's not something that those teams are used to having to contend with.

Simple. Drop Clown College. KF and GB are the ONLY reasons ISU is still on the schedule.
Disagree. I think it's a game that fans on both sides look forward to. I understand the lose/lose theory for Iowa regarding the game, but winning it every year, especially now that the Clowns think they are finally onto something, has been so sweet.

2. South Dakota State

This is arguably SDSU’s most talented team it’s ever had coming off of a trip to the semifinals. The front seven will be loaded, starting with one of the best returning FCS linebackers in Adam Bock. Reece Winkelman and Caleb Sanders are veterans on a deep d-line, one of the more underrated position groups for a team to make a deep playoff run. SDSU’s secondary needs to get better if it wants to return to Frisco, though. The offense has a chance to be special. The spring’s MVFC Offensive Player of the Year Mark Gronowski is back at QB after missing last season with a knee injury suffered early in the spring national title game. He has his two top WRs returning in Jaxon and Jadon Janke along with TE Tucker Kraft, who is an NFL Draft prospect. SDSU has developed its o-line to be one of the better units in the FCS, and they’ll be blocking for All-American RB Isaiah Davis.

24. Northern Iowa

UNI has been a consistent playoff team, making the bracket in each of the last four fall seasons. Last year saw a 6-6 record ending in a first-round loss at Eastern Washington. UNI has a great tradition of success, reaching the D1-AA/FCS postseason 22 times. The Panthers haven’t made the semifinals since 2008, though, with quarterfinal appearances in 2011, 2015, and 2019. It always seems to be on the cusp of making a deeper run with its returning talent, and UNI will have to combat a tough schedule once again to position itself for further postseason success in 2022. The defense, per usual, looks like a terrific unit, led by Spencer Cuvelier (LB), Bryce Flater (LB), and Benny Sapp III (DB). The offense is what’s held the Panthers back from contending at a higher national level. Starting QB Theo Day and leading rusher Dom Williams return to improve UNI’s 24.92 points per game.
Anyone who bitches about Iowa's FB strength of scheduling needs to stifle themselves.

Hmm. Georgia WON'T play in Iowa City the first Saturday in September but they WILL play in LA, Tallahassee, or Clemson. Explain how Ia City has a more oppressive climate in September than those places.
Actually, Georgia won't play in IC period. Ever. But they definitely won't play in colder weather, and probably wouldn't risk in September, either.

But FSU, Clemson, UCLA, etc., will NEVER be cold, no matter when they play.

The caveat is that the midwest (including Iowa) is plenty hot on the front-side of the schedule ... when we usually play our OOC games. The issue of difference in climate really doesn't arise until later in the season.

You rarely, if ever, see more southerly teams play B1G teams during the late-fall. When it hits late October ... or even November ... the weather becomes a complete extra wildcard. That's not something that those teams are used to having to contend with.
Take, for example, the ND-U$C game. By contract, it can't be @ND after a certain date.

UGa will never come to Iowa, in any case. But especially in late season, when ALL of the $EC host absolute cupcakes for their game 11.

Change the conference schedule by dropping Iowa State? Also I think there would be government interference if either side tried to end the game due to lack of benefit to one side. Barring ISU dropping to FCS.

Reactions: Ronman
This game has a 2015 Illinois state feel to it. There is the same group saying oh no they might beat us. Look they are #2 in FCS. In 2015 Iowa won 31-14. They scored 14 late against our back ups.

Win the game indeed. Still...it's bad scheduling.
Yeah, I don't get scheduling games against really good FCS teams. If you want to schedule an auto win do it like the SEC does and play a really bad team.

Iowa will win this because of their defense but if it is close the national media will ding them for it.

Yeah, I don't get scheduling games against really good FCS teams. If you want to schedule an auto win do it like the SEC does and play a really bad team.

Iowa will win this because of their defense but if it is close the national media will ding them for it.
There's no upside to scheduling an FCS for a P5 school. None.

For the FCS team it's a huge plus no matter how the game turns out. They go home with a big check, a great experience for their players and fans and a test of their team that sets them up for the rest of the season.

If you want an easy win schedule a MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, American or C-USA school. Some will be more competitive than others. If you do get upset...at least it's by a FBS team.

Not from the FCS division. It's a no-win. You win...big deal. You lose, it's an embarrassment.

I (and many others) called the NDSU loss in 2016. This one smells the same.
I'm a South Dakota alumn. This absolutely cannot happen. Iowa has to not only beat SDSU but smother them. Unfortunately, I am worried about this game. SDSU took Colorado State to the woodshed last year in their FBS game. Iowa better not just think they'll run between the tackles and win a tight one in the 4th quarter because it will end badly.

It has more to do with recruiting actually, IMO. And Iowa has nothing to sell to Georgia in that regards.

Reactions: hawkcub
I'm a South Dakota alumn. This absolutely cannot happen. Iowa has to not only beat SDSU but smother them. Unfortunately, I am worried about this game. SDSU took Colorado State to the woodshed last year in their FBS game. Iowa better not just think they'll run between the tackles and win a tight one in the 4th quarter because it will end badly.
Yep and SDSU's defense is pretty salty. They have a local Iowa kid leading their defense (Adam Bock from Solon), 2 of the best WR's in college football in the J brothers. If our coaches "play if safe", we get beat.

Like they did against NDSU

While Iowa should win this game, SDSU is no pushover and likely won't back down even if they fall behind early. SDSU is 2-9 all time against FBS opponents, beating Colorado State (3-9) last season 42-13 and Kansas (0-12) in 2015, 41-38. They lost to Minnesota (11-2) in 2019, 21-28.

Yep and SDSU's defense is pretty salty. They have a local Iowa kid leading their defense (Adam Bock from Solon), 2 of the best WR's in college football in the J brothers. If our coaches "play if safe", we get beat.
I wouldn't say it's salty, they gave up over 5 yards per play and didn't rank in the top 40 for fcs defenses. And the games I watched they had a tendency to leave the middle of the field wide open. Laporta could have a day if Iowa tries to exploit that, and Ragaini could add some inexplicable drops with his underneath routes.

• Haha
Reactions: obfuscating
It has more to do with recruiting actually, IMO. And Iowa has nothing to sell to Georgia in that regards.

Georgia isnt playing FSU and Clemson to increase access to recruits in South Carolina and northern Florida. Those kids are already in easy driving range. They scheduled those games because they will net huge TV contracts and build their brand. They also have their version of ISU on their schedule every year in GT.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
SDSU isn’t in the same class as NDSU.

Almost every year UNI fields a better team than SDSU but Farley constantly steps on his own foot and beats himself.

NDSU could hang with some top 25 FBS schools. I think they have a difficult time finding any FBS schools that with schedule them at this point.

Reactions: hawklaw1212
SDSU isn’t in the same class as NDSU.

Almost every year UNI fields a better team than SDSU but Farley constantly steps on his own foot and beats himself.

NDSU could hang with some top 25 FBS schools. I think they have a difficult time finding any FBS schools that with schedule them at this point.
They're a click below NDSU, but not far behind. They've made the FCS semi-finals four of the last five years with one appearance in the title game. I could see KFz finding a way to lose this one.

Georgia isnt playing FSU and Clemson to increase access to recruits in South Carolina and northern Florida. Those kids are already in easy driving range. They scheduled those games because they will net huge TV contracts and build their brand. They also have their version of ISU on their schedule every year in GT.
They recruit kids in those areas...it absolutely adds to the exposure of the areas they actively recruit. They don't really recruit much in the state of Iowa.

Edit: one other factor too...they have fans & alumni that can travel and/or live in those areas...they don't really have that in Iowa either.

That will always be the down side of not having a “blow their doors off” mentality.

couple of iffy calls and you end up in a dog fight.
I've always been more of "step on their throats when they are down and don't let 'em up" kind of guy.

While Iowa should win this game, SDSU is no pushover and likely won't back down even if they fall behind early. SDSU is 2-9 all time against FBS opponents, beating Colorado State (3-9) last season 42-13 and Kansas (0-12) in 2015, 41-38. They lost to Minnesota (11-2) in 2019, 21-28.
So you're saying their two FBS wins were against two absolutely HORRIBLE teams? I highly doubt that Iowa should be considerd anywhere near a 0-12 KU team. When we gave that game away against NDSU they had won FIVE consecutive FBS road games against way better teams then what your describing. Even though SDSU won't get the full Kinnick experience like its a BIG game, I still see Iowa winning this game by at least 10-14 points. Its typical though that we've got fans worried about losing this game 4 months before we even play. If we don't turn the ball over, I doubt they'll move the ball consistently against our defense which may very well be better then last season. We'll be stout up front, maybe the best group of LB's in college football, and very stout in the back end.

Reactions: millhawk
So you're saying their two FBS wins were against two absolutely HORRIBLE teams? I highly doubt that Iowa should be considerd anywhere near a 0-12 KU team. When we gave that game away against NDSU they had won FIVE consecutive FBS road games against way better teams then what your describing. Even though SDSU won't get the full Kinnick experience like its a BIG game, I still see Iowa winning this game by at least 10-14 points. Its typical though that we've got fans worried about losing this game 4 months before we even play. If we don't turn the ball over, I doubt they'll move the ball consistently against our defense which may very well be better then last season. We'll be stout up front, maybe the best group of LB's in college football, and very stout in the back end.
As I stated, Iowa should win this game. My only point was that SDSU isn’t your typical FCS and opponent, aka cupcake pushover. They’re close to a mid tier MAC team in level of play, regardless Iowa should win games against those types of opponents with nearly 100% efficiency. You have to give them some credit for those FBS wins and keeping it to within a score of an 11 win Minnesota team three seasons ago. If for some reason Iowa doesn’t take this one seriously, they’re always a threat to embarrass us. Shouldn’t happen, but it could.

Last edited:
Reactions: globalhawk
I like scheduling competitive teams that improve your profile. No one will remember if Iowa beats them. No one will forget if they lose. Lose/lose proposition.
I would agree, I would rather Iowa schedule a crappy P5 school or even a MAC school then an FCS school, as really, other then a challenging game perhaps, there is nothing to be gained by beating an FCS school, and more to be lost by losing.

As I stated, Iowa should win this game. My only point was that SDSU isn’t your typical FBS opponent, aka cupcake pushover. They’re close to a mid tier MAC team in level of play, regardless Iowa should win games against those types of opponents with nearly 100% efficiency. You have to give them some credit for those FBS wins and keeping it to within a score of an 11 win Minnesota team three seasons ago. If for some reason Iowa doesn’t take this one seriously, they’re always a threat to embarrass us. Shouldn’t happen, but it could.
And I'd agree their not a pushover, and Iowa will have to show up, which I expect every time they take the field...

Reactions: iowaflash
And I'd agree their not a pushover, and Iowa will have to show up, which I expect every time they take the field...
I still remember the year that we needed two consecutive blocked field goals to beat UNI, so absolutely can’t take them lightly….

I still remember the year that we needed two consecutive blocked field goals to beat UNI, so absolutely can’t take them lightly….
For sure, and UNI adds another twist to the formula. They recruit heavily Iowa kids who would have given a nut to be Hawks and were not offered. There's certainly a different motivation for those kids when we play them.....

Reactions: iowaflash
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT