ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Preseason Top 25

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001

2. South Dakota State

This is arguably SDSU’s most talented team it’s ever had coming off of a trip to the semifinals. The front seven will be loaded, starting with one of the best returning FCS linebackers in Adam Bock. Reece Winkelman and Caleb Sanders are veterans on a deep d-line, one of the more underrated position groups for a team to make a deep playoff run. SDSU’s secondary needs to get better if it wants to return to Frisco, though. The offense has a chance to be special. The spring’s MVFC Offensive Player of the Year Mark Gronowski is back at QB after missing last season with a knee injury suffered early in the spring national title game. He has his two top WRs returning in Jaxon and Jadon Janke along with TE Tucker Kraft, who is an NFL Draft prospect. SDSU has developed its o-line to be one of the better units in the FCS, and they’ll be blocking for All-American RB Isaiah Davis.

24. Northern Iowa

UNI has been a consistent playoff team, making the bracket in each of the last four fall seasons. Last year saw a 6-6 record ending in a first-round loss at Eastern Washington. UNI has a great tradition of success, reaching the D1-AA/FCS postseason 22 times. The Panthers haven’t made the semifinals since 2008, though, with quarterfinal appearances in 2011, 2015, and 2019. It always seems to be on the cusp of making a deeper run with its returning talent, and UNI will have to combat a tough schedule once again to position itself for further postseason success in 2022. The defense, per usual, looks like a terrific unit, led by Spencer Cuvelier (LB), Bryce Flater (LB), and Benny Sapp III (DB). The offense is what’s held the Panthers back from contending at a higher national level. Starting QB Theo Day and leading rusher Dom Williams return to improve UNI’s 24.92 points per game.

2. South Dakota State

This is arguably SDSU’s most talented team it’s ever had coming off of a trip to the semifinals. The front seven will be loaded, starting with one of the best returning FCS linebackers in Adam Bock. Reece Winkelman and Caleb Sanders are veterans on a deep d-line, one of the more underrated position groups for a team to make a deep playoff run. SDSU’s secondary needs to get better if it wants to return to Frisco, though. The offense has a chance to be special. The spring’s MVFC Offensive Player of the Year Mark Gronowski is back at QB after missing last season with a knee injury suffered early in the spring national title game. He has his two top WRs returning in Jaxon and Jadon Janke along with TE Tucker Kraft, who is an NFL Draft prospect. SDSU has developed its o-line to be one of the better units in the FCS, and they’ll be blocking for All-American RB Isaiah Davis.

24. Northern Iowa

UNI has been a consistent playoff team, making the bracket in each of the last four fall seasons. Last year saw a 6-6 record ending in a first-round loss at Eastern Washington. UNI has a great tradition of success, reaching the D1-AA/FCS postseason 22 times. The Panthers haven’t made the semifinals since 2008, though, with quarterfinal appearances in 2011, 2015, and 2019. It always seems to be on the cusp of making a deeper run with its returning talent, and UNI will have to combat a tough schedule once again to position itself for further postseason success in 2022. The defense, per usual, looks like a terrific unit, led by Spencer Cuvelier (LB), Bryce Flater (LB), and Benny Sapp III (DB). The offense is what’s held the Panthers back from contending at a higher national level. Starting QB Theo Day and leading rusher Dom Williams return to improve UNI’s 24.92 points per game.

Brilliant scheduling move.

It's probably just me, but I'd rather lose to Georgia than South Dakota State. And I say that, at least partially, because KF's Hawkeyes did lose to North Dakota State, as you know, and blocked 2 FGs at the end of the game to escape UNI by one point.

Tell me more about the brilliant strategy of scheduling the best FCS teams in the country. And while you're at it, you might share it with Nick Saban and the rest of the SEC. When they schedule cupcakes, they make damn sure they are real cupcakes. Either play a name brand or play a nobody, it seems to me. But then I also like an aggressive offense led by an athlete at QB, so what the hell do I know?

It's probably just me, but I'd rather lose to Georgia than South Dakota State. And I say that, at least partially, because KF's Hawkeyes did lose to North Dakota State, as you know, and blocked 2 FGs at the end of the game to escape UNI by one point.

Tell me more about the brilliant strategy of scheduling the best FCS teams in the country. And while you're at it, you might share it with Nick Saban and the rest of the SEC. When they schedule cupcakes, they make damn sure they are real cupcakes. Either play a name brand or play a nobody, it seems to me. But then I also like an aggressive offense led by an athlete at QB, so what the hell do I know?
Don’t be like some of the sec and schedule the cupcake in week 11/12. ALL FCS/FBS games need to be played by week 3.

You say that but that team was a Stanzi injury away from playing in the bcs title game.

I’ve heard a lot of whining over the years about scheduling cupcakes too….. I’m pretty sure Iowa knew what they ere getting into scheduling these teams and the inherent risk that losing is possible

Bottom line is you should be able to beat good FCS teams and you get a lot more out of winning competitive games than blowing someone out….sometimes you gain more from a loss…. I’m an old wrestling fan and I’ve seen many times where a loss early in the season was the best thing that could happen to an athlete

Pretty sure Georgia wouldn’t agree to play in Kinnick pre-season 😂 I think SDSU will be a great opponent for a non conference game

People like Grayhair aren’t happy unless they’re bitching about something….

Not from the FCS division. It's a no-win. You win...big deal. You lose, it's an embarrassment.

I (and many others) called the NDSU loss in 2016. This one smells the same.
Win the game then…. if we can’t beat an FCS team at home then embarrassment is probably inevitable…. I’m just not a fan of watching blowout games against weak competition

I’ve heard a lot of whining over the years about scheduling cupcakes too….. I’m pretty sure Iowa knew what they ere getting into scheduling these teams and the inherent risk that losing is possible

Bottom line is you should be able to beat good FCS teams and you get a lot more out of winning competitive games than blowing someone out….sometimes you gain more from a loss…. I’m an old wrestling fan and I’ve seen many times where a loss early in the season was the best thing that could happen to an athlete

Pretty sure Georgia wouldn’t agree to play in Kinnick pre-season 😂 I think SDSU will be a great opponent for a non conference game

People like Grayhair aren’t happy unless they’re bitching about something….

Georgia is playing OOC games against OU, Clemson, UCLA, and Florida State in the upcoming seasons. They play at UCLA and at FSU. You honestly couldn't have picked a worse example, jackass.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman

Based on most of your posts, very little

The causal college football fan knows very little about South Dakota St. and how talented they may be. All they know is that if Iowa loses to them, then Iowa is pretty suspect.
Say what you want, losing to a FCS team, no matter how good, early in the season is never a good thing in the long run and will only come back to bite you. Yes, winning the game is the obvious solution, but with a rebuilt OLine and a questionable offense, it may not be as easy as it should be.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
That holding call that flipped the NDSU game still angers me. The whole stadium knew we were in deep shit after that.

Reactions: amahawk
Iowa will win in an ultra-ugly defensive struggle. BF and SP are going to get absolutely roasted on this board. It will be one of those “yeah, we won but things don’t look too f&ckin’ good” type of weeks.

Reactions: amahawk

100% absolutely a moronic move to schedule the FCS powerhouses

Iowa will defeat SDSU. It will be a competitive game but the Hawks will prevail.
SDSU isn't a defensive powerhouse and they lost their top back (Strong Jr) who may have been able to cause a few problems for early season defenses. Their QB is also coming off a leg injury suffered at the end of the weird COVID season...and he was a runner. Sound familiar to a certain season opener a year ago?

I don't mind the scheduling move at all.

You want to schedule a game where you should get challenged ... but a game where you still should have the advantage. Also, in this day and age ... you also want it to be against a team that doesn't mind a 1-off at your home.

I think that the South Dakota State game is a great game ... at least, if we win. The tape on SDSU will look good ... so the Iowa players shouldn't take them lightly.

South Dakota State will pose enough of a challenge that, provided the Hawks remain healthy ... it will force them to improve. It should serve as more than an adequate "warm-up" for the Cyclones.

Georgia is playing OOC games against OU, Clemson, UCLA, and Florida State in the upcoming seasons. They play at UCLA and at FSU. You honestly couldn't have picked a worse example, jackass.
You may want to check Georgia’s future schedules again. They have some FCS teams and lower level FBS teams on it. Yes, they’re playing some other non-con P5 schools, but don’t forget they only play 8 conference games to Iowa’s 9. With Iowa playing ISU every year they play a very similar schedule to Georgia.

2. South Dakota State

24. Northern Iowa

Lol of course.

You may want to check Georgia’s future schedules again. They have some FCS teams and lower level FBS teams on it. Yes, they’re playing some other non-con P5 schools, but don’t forget they only play 8 conference games to Iowa’s 9. With Iowa playing ISU every year they play a very similar schedule to Georgia.

ISU<Clemson,OU, and FSU (at least historically). Jackass stated Georgia wouldn't play at Kinnick. My response was to that statement. The 8 conference games vs 9 conference games is offset by the reality Iowa consistently plays one of the weakest B1G schedules. 2022 will be the third time they play OSU since 2013. Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland ain't exactly world beaters.

Georgia is playing OOC games against OU, Clemson, UCLA, and Florida State in the upcoming seasons. They play at UCLA and at FSU. You honestly couldn't have picked a
ISU<Clemson,OU, and FSU (at least historically). Jackass stated Georgia wouldn't play at Kinnick. My response was to that statement. The 8 conference games vs 9 conference games is offset by the reality Iowa consistently plays one of the weakest B1G schedules. 2022 will be the third time they play OSU since 2013. Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland ain't exactly world beaters.
Jackass here…… let me know when Georgia agrees to play in Kinnick….. I want to set my DVR!!
Thanks!

btw…… do you need a hug?

<<(S)o what the hell do I know?>>

As you have already shown and established throughout this board, not a hell of a lot...

FSU, UCLA...Iowa.

One of them doesn't belong with regard to a UGa non-con visit.

(Hint: it's the climate, stupid)

• Love
And how exactly is Iowa supposed to change it's conference schedule? Realistically Iowa has a say in 2 games each year, and due to $ concerns they will be home games (I don't agree with that but I'm just an idiot behind a phone screen who thinks one less home game every few years won't kill any programs)

Jackass here…… let me know when Georgia agrees to play in Kinnick….. I want to set my DVR!!
Thanks!

btw…… do you need a hug?

They won't play at Kinnick because Iowa would NEVER schedule them, not because Georgia is afraid to play them. Georgia plays Clemson and OSU in 2030. The aren't afraid of anyone. Once again you got owned for talking out your ass, douche. Go hug the other apologists.

They won't play at Kinnick because Iowa would NEVER schedule them, not because Georgia is afraid to play them. Georgia plays Clemson and OSU in 2030. The aren't afraid of anyone. Once again you got owned for talking out your ass, douche. Go hug the other apologists.
😂😂😂😂😘

That holding call that flipped the NDSU game still angers me. The whole stadium knew we were in deep shit after that.
Yes that was among a lot of things that didn’t go well for Iowa. CJB missing open kittle for would’ve been 90+ yd td early first drive. Blown block giving them pick 6. But one thing people forget we were missing Daniels and other starting G and struggled big time to run that day. Up 7 in 4th cusp of fg range and bad snap by our backup C on 3rd and manageable ended our drive and they scored next or one after. Also for some reason Iowa barely used wadley that day too.

flip side lot of people I remember here before ILL St game in 15’ were worried. Year prior they were runner up or lost in semis and had former IU qb and believe ranked top 5 as well. Iowa took care of them handily that day. SDSU lost rb to nfl and qb even got drafted from last years team. But with Iowa’s front 7 they should still have advantage and be a double digit favorite.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
ADVERTISEMENT