ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Preseason Top 25

Whatevs. Iowa will beat SDSU fairly solidly in a competitive game. Georgia would NEVER play in Iowa City. NEVER.

Simple. Drop Clown College. KF and GB are the ONLY reasons ISU is still on the schedule.
All you have to do is look at the COVID year and see how nice it is to put isu in their place AND most importantly....let the Iowa youth know who the king is!!

Jackass here…… let me know when Georgia agrees to play in Kinnick….. I want to set my DVR!!
Thanks!

btw…… do you need a hug?

Maybe they could play Iowa in a place like Soldier Field or ATT in Texas.

I don’t think he said it has to be a home game for the Hawks or the Bulldogs.

Last edited:
Maybe they could play Iowa in a place Soldier Field or ATT in Texas.

I don’t think he said it has to be a home game for the Hawks or the Bulldogs.

The apologists think Georgia is afraid to play in Kinnick. They aren't afraid to play anyone. They have set the bar for OOC scheduling. Georgia is far more likely to agree to a home-and-home with Iowa than Iowa is to schedule a home-and-home with Georgia.

As I stated, Iowa should win this game. My only point was that SDSU isn’t your typical FCS and opponent, aka cupcake pushover. They’re close to a mid tier MAC team in level of play, regardless Iowa should win games against those types of opponents with nearly 100% efficiency. You have to give them some credit for those FBS wins and keeping it to within a score of an 11 win Minnesota team three seasons ago. If for some reason Iowa doesn’t take this one seriously, they’re always a threat to embarrass us. Shouldn’t happen, but it could.
You are forgetting that it's Iowa (KF) and we play to not lose, so nearly every game like this ends up too close.

Petras gets picked late in the game and SDSU misses FG that would win it.

Reactions: Packer54
The apologists think Georgia is afraid to play in Kinnick. They aren't afraid to play anyone. They have set the bar for OOC scheduling. Georgia is far more likely to agree to a home-and-home with Iowa than Iowa is to schedule a home-and-home with Georgia.
Bullshit. Georgia is way too afraid to play in Kinnick.

Georgia knows it, Iowa knows it, the SEC knows it.

Last year I watched South Dakota State completely dismantle Colorado State in Fort Collins.

A few weeks later I watched Colorado State have the lead in Kinnick in the 3rd quarter.

Just sayin.

Bullshit. Georgia is way too afraid to play in Kinnick.
Maybe they could play Iowa in a place like Soldier Field or ATT in Texas.

I don’t think he said it has to be a home game for the
Maybe they could play in London
So far in this thread you’ve called me a jackass and an asshole…. if my memory serves….. so I’m guessing I’m one of these “Apologists” you speak of….if you wouldn’t mind reminding me what it is I’d be apologizing for

You’re the one name calling if anyone should apologize…. it’s you 😂 you’re kind of an angry elf aren’t ya

You all can speculate about this imaginary game and where it might be played all day…. I’m betting it ain’t happening unless it’s a bowl game….especially with the BIG/PAC 12 alliance in the works

So far in this thread you’ve called me a jackass and an asshole…. if my memory serves….. so I’m guessing I’m one of these “Apologists” you speak of….if you wouldn’t mind reminding me what it is I’d be apologizing for

You’re the one name calling if anyone should apologize…. it’s you 😂 you’re kind of an angry elf aren’t ya

You all can speculate about this imaginary game and where it might be played all day…. I’m betting it ain’t happening unless it’s a bowl game….especially with the BIG/PAC 12 alliance in the works

Great for you but I haven’t called you anything.

I agree that Georgia wouldn’t play in Iowa City, and the Hawks ain’t going to Athens either. I highly doubt it’s because Georgia is afraid of us though. I would say it is because they’d have nothing to gain by playing us.

You have a fantastic rest of the day though.

Reactions: natchrlman

Well, let's review.
You started this off by calling me out for not being happy unless I was bitching about something. You also stated Georgia wouldn't agree to play in Kinnick "pre-season". I pointed out they have already scheduled numerous home-and-homes against programs above Iowa's level. The point was and is that it is foolish to schedule FCS teams. The NDSU loss was a major factor in unraveling the recruiting momentum that had begun in the 16 class. Others have also pointed out that with KF's risk-averse mentality, teams below Iowa's caliber have opportunities late in games they shouldn't considering the overall talent gap between programs. Losing to Pitt or Arizona isn't nearly as damaging as losing to a Dakota FCS team. Change ISU to two on, two off and schedule a home-and-home with a different P5 team. The B1G, PAC, ACC alliance may force Iowa's hand on this. I can only hope.
Now go spoon with Frosty.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Well, let's review.
You started this off by calling me out for not being happy unless I was bitching about something. You also stated Georgia wouldn't agree to play in Kinnick "pre-season". I pointed out they have already scheduled numerous home-and-homes against programs above Iowa's level. The point was and is that it is foolish to schedule FCS teams. The NDSU loss was a major factor in unraveling the recruiting momentum that had begun in the 16 class. Others have also pointed out that with KF's risk-averse mentality, teams below Iowa's caliber have opportunities late in games they shouldn't considering the overall talent gap between programs. Losing to Pitt or Arizona isn't nearly as damaging as losing to a Dakota FCS team. Change ISU to two on, two off and schedule a home-and-home with a different P5 team. The B1G, PAC, ACC alliance may force Iowa's hand on this. I can only hope.
Now go spoon with Frosty.
Oh….. Apologies

Kirk/Brian will not show much for this game, as usual. Everyone hoping for big changes to the offense will not see them during the opener. Hopefully the next weekend. We should still win this if the D can carry us. Another sweaty palms adventure.

SDSU beat NDSU last year. This is no chump program we are playing for game 1 this year. Might end up similar to NDSU a few years back. These programs have as good of talent as we do and arguably better linemen. SDSU & NDSU both drafted 2 people which is as many as we had this year.

Alabama travels to Camp Randall in 2024.

Wisconsin travels to Bryant-Denny in 2025.
I'd argue Wisconsin is a bigger draw on the national stage than Iowa so it's not that surprising. They played LSU a few years ago as well. And they've sh*t the bed less recently in the btc game than Iowa. Surprisingly the badgers hold the record for both most points scored and largest loss/least points scored. All within a 3 year span.

So...Iowa has almost their entire defense back that is extremely deep in almost every area...a defense that was a top 10-12 defense in CFB...and we are going to lose to SDSU. Ok. I just don't see that...if we were young in the front seven...and we were still playing three linebackers against 6 receiver sets...maybe, but I don't see them keeping their QB clean and I don't see them running the ball at all. You can't beat Iowa if you can't run the ball and you can't protect your QB.

Our offense against their defense...I don't see a Herbig or Karlaftis on the SDSU roster. At worst, we win the field position battle and we score points on a short field. That being said, my guess is that we will line up and run the ball straight at them with Williams and Co. If our OL is good in protection...this game could get ugly for SDSU.

Also...if it's a hot day...and we can run the ball...it's ugly in the second half. Just don't turn it over and it's a 17 to 24 point game.

So...Iowa has almost their entire defense back that is extremely deep in almost every area...a defense that was a top 10-12 defense in CFB...and we are going to lose to SDSU. Ok. I just don't see that...if we were young in the front seven...and we were still playing three linebackers against 6 receiver sets...maybe, but I don't see them keeping their QB clean and I don't see them running the ball at all. You can't beat Iowa if you can't run the ball and you can't protect your QB.

Our offense against their defense...I don't see a Herbig or Karlaftis on the SDSU roster. At worst, we win the field position battle and we score points on a short field. That being said, my guess is that we will line up and run the ball straight at them with Williams and Co. If our OL is good in protection...this game could get ugly for SDSU.

Also...if it's a hot day...and we can run the ball...it's ugly in the second half. Just don't turn it over and it's a 17 to 24 point game.

2009's defense was loaded with NFL talent. They had to block two straight FGs to hold off UNI.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
2009's defense was loaded with NFL talent. They had to block two straight FGs to hold off UNI.
Because our offense was ineffective and turned the ball over twice. I said if we don't turn it over...we win by two touchdowns or more. The minute you turn it over...the game changes. Can SDSU upset Iowa...sure...is it likely? No. I think Iowa is approaching these games a little differently now. It used to be they didn't do much prep specifically for the Week 1 opponent until the week prior to the game. I think that's all changed since NDSU. It's been 6 years since that game...and KF has gotten the job done in these match ups.

Last edited:
I watched every game of their playoff run when FCS played in the spring last year. They would have won the NC had the true freshman QB not got hurt in the title game. Kid is very talented. Not the strongest arm, but decisive, accurate and a dangerous runner. Pretty much the antithesis of Petras.

He sat out last fall due to the same injury and they brought in the grad transfer who was drafted. They also lost a RB to the draft, but his backup was just as good and will be back. Our defense will be great, but they’re going to be able to move the ball. Our offense better show up, or we will lose this one.

Athlon also has South Dakota State #2 Nationally. Here is the blurb from Athlon:

2. South Dakota State​

(11-4, 5-3 Missouri Valley)
The Jackrabbits have advanced to at least the FCS semifinals in four of the last five seasons, but perhaps more impressive is a two-game winning streak against North Dakota State. Quarterback Mark Gronowski, the MVFC Offensive Player of the Year during the 2021 spring season, missed the fall with a knee injury and returns to an explosive offense that boasts running back Isaiah Davis (1,519 yards, eight-yard average in 17 career games), tight end Tucker Kraft, and wide receiver twins Jadon and Jaxon Janke. Linebacker Adam Bock (125 tackles as a sophomore) and defensive linemen Caleb Sanders and Reece Winkelman will keep the hits coming. Head coach John Stiegelemeier's squad has a difficult road schedule, beginning with Iowa.

Reactions: jo2knight
Because our offense was ineffective and turned the ball over twice. I said if we don't turn it over...we win by two touchdowns or more. The minute you turn it over...the game changes. Can SDSU upset Iowa...sure...is it likely? No. I think Iowa is approaching these games a little differently now. It used to be they didn't do much prep specifically for the Week 1 opponent until the week prior to the game. I think that's all changed since NDSU. It's been 6 years since that game...and KF has gotten the job done in these match ups.
Iowa was 83rd in turnovers lost last year (19 lost turnovers). Stats say they are going to turn the ball over.

You are forgetting that it's Iowa (KF) and we play to not lose, so nearly every game like this ends up too close.

Petras gets picked late in the game and SDSU misses FG that would win it.
If Petras gets picked late in the game with us having a lead I would be shocked....not that he WOULDN'T get picked if given the opportunity....but that KF would actually GIVE him the opportunity to throw the ball late in the game with a lead no matter how small. Run-Run-Run Punt.

SDSU beat NDSU last year. This is no chump program we are playing for game 1 this year. Might end up similar to NDSU a few years back. These programs have as good of talent as we do and arguably better linemen. SDSU & NDSU both drafted 2 people which is as many as we had this year.
To clarify, yes they have good players. I doubt they have better lineman across the board, thats an over statement. They'll have guys make plays but two deep and roster wise they are not on the same level and its not close. Yes KF may not take a lot of risk, but this is still a game we win, if we play decent. If not anything can happen. I really think this team will come out wanting to show what they have, and I think we win by two scores barring some unforseen crazy turnover or special teams gaffe.

If Petras gets picked late in the game with us having a lead I would be shocked....not that he WOULDN'T get picked if given the opportunity....but that KF would actually GIVE him the opportunity to throw the ball late in the game with a lead no matter how small. Run-Run-Run Punt.
short over the middle or a flat route and bock picks him off a tip.

To clarify, yes they have good players. I doubt they have better lineman across the board, thats an over statement. They'll have guys make plays but two deep and roster wise they are not on the same level and its not close. Yes KF may not take a lot of risk, but this is still a game we win, if we play decent. If not anything can happen. I really think this team will come out wanting to show what they have, and I think we win by two scores barring some unforseen crazy turnover or special teams gaffe.
You really think our 2021 117th ranked offense (losing Linderbaum), with arguably our worst offensive line in the KF era, will be better across the board than one of the better offensive FCS programs?

SDSU looks like they had the 14th ranked offense in FCS last year & they return (injury) a veteran QB. Looking at their depth chart They may not have as many linemen as we have, but they look to have 5-7 guys all 295LBS+. I hope we can hold them well below their 441 YPG average. Looking at this game on paper though, we will be in a dogfight. Maybe our defense will just control them all game. I just hope it's not like NDSU where our DL wears down in the 4 quarter.

Here is a crazy stat from this year's NFL draft - the combination of SDSU, NDSU, and North Dakota had more players drafted than the combination of Miami, Florida, and Florida State.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
No. I think Iowa is approaching these games a little differently now. It used to be they didn't do much prep specifically for the Week 1 opponent until the week prior to the game. I think that's all changed since NDSU. It's been 6 years since that game...and KF has gotten the job done in these match ups.
If I remember correctly, NDSt. was the third game that season. And we haven't played a preconference game against a FCS team anywhere near as talented as SDSt. since that loss.

You really think our 2021 117th ranked offense (losing Linderbaum), with arguably our worst offensive line in the KF era, will be better across the board than one of the better offensive FCS programs?

SDSU looks like they had the 14th ranked offense in FCS last year & they return (injury) a veteran QB. Looking at their depth chart They may not have as many linemen as we have, but they look to have 5-7 guys all 295LBS+. I hope we can hold them well below their 441 YPG average. Looking at this game on paper though, we will be in a dogfight. Maybe our defense will just control them all game. I just hope it's not like NDSU where our DL wears down in the 4 quarter.
Yes I do. There's a lot of young talent in that line, some that played last year, (Richman and Colby) and some on the way up, (Jones, Davidkov, Stephens, Dunker, Elsbury) etc...Besides which They don't play against each other, and I expect a huge year from out DL, maybe the best set of LB's in ALL of college football as a unit, and a very veteran DB group with the return of Moss. As for the DL in the NDSU game I don't believe we were rotating the DL like Bell is doing now, and I think we saw the difference last year, and i'd expect them to grow signifcantly on last years solid play for a VERY young unit last season. I'm not saying this won't be a good game, but I think some lessons were learned in that NDSU game.

Reactions: jo2knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT