ADVERTISEMENT

FDA bans Juul e-cigarettes tied to teen vaping surge

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Federal health officials on Thursday ordered Juul to pull its electronic cigarettes from the U.S. market, the latest blow to the embattled company widely blamed for sparking a national surge in teen vaping.

The action is part of a sweeping effort by the Food and Drug Administration to bring scientific scrutiny to the multibillion-dollar vaping industry after years of regulatory delays.

ADVERTISING

Parents, politicians and anti-tobacco advocates wanted a ban on the devices that many blame for the rise in underage vaping. Supporters say they can help smokers cut back on regular cigarettes.

The FDA noted that Juul may have played a “disproportionate″ role in the rise in teen vaping and its application didn’t have enough evidence to show that marketing its products “would be appropriate for the protection of the public health.”

The agency has granted some e-cigarette applications. Since last fall, the agency has given its OK to tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes from R.J. Reynolds, Logic and other companies.

But industry players and anti-tobacco advocates have complained that those products account for just a tiny percent of the $6 billion vaping market in the U.S.

Regulators repeatedly delayed making decisions on devices from market leaders, including Juul, which remains the best-selling vaping brand although sales have dipped.

Last year, the agency rejected applications for more than a million other e-cigarettes and related products, mainly due to their potential appeal to underage teens.

To stay on the market, companies must show that their products benefit public health. In practice, that means proving that adult smokers who use the products are likely to quit or reduce their smoking, while teens are unlikely to get hooked on them.

Yet cigarettes are still legal. Lol our government is so stupid and driven by lobbyists yet morons will just look at this and think wow we’re being smart about protecting kids.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yet cigarettes are still legal. Lol our government is so stupid and driven by lobbyists yet morons will just look at this and think wow we’re being smart about protecting kids.
We know cigarettes cause cancer. The jury is still out on vaping. Once we know for sure it causes cancer, we’ll be good to go. 😉

Banning “ vaping”? another death knell to the economy! Inflation..raising interest rates, supply chain issues and now we are banning “vaping”! Where will it ever end!
Damn that Joe! Damn those Democrats!

I don't like vaping.... But why ban Juul, but allow other e-cigarette makers?

Juul is popular and they created a good/attractive product. Guess that is enough reason to ban them :rolleyes:.

i was so close to pulling the trigger on shares of Altria - guess ill wait for a bigger discount now

Juul obviously hasn’t greased the wheels properly and now they’re paying the price. Washington DC needs a massive purge. I would love to do some audits of the personal finances of every one of the scumbags in the senate, White House, and house. They’re all dirty.

I know a lot of people who started with Juul and eventually moved onto other devices or even smoking regular cigarettes. It's definitely a tricky issue because some people do use these devices to help quit smoking. However, it's also important to protect underage individuals from becoming addicted to nicotine. Speaking of vaping, I recently got a new vape from https://www.vaporizerchief.com/weed-vaporizer-sitemap/. It's not a nicotine vape, but rather one for dry herb. I've found that it's a much healthier alternative to smoking and I feel much better overall. It's great to see that there are options out there that aren't harmful to our health.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT