ADVERTISEMENT

Fear the snot otter, for they populate our waters

billanole

HB Legend
Mar 5, 2005
especially cold clean waterways. Oops, you don’t have to worry so much about them as cold clean waterways are less and less prevalent.
Those guys are cool as shit. We still see them rarely in our mountain creeks.

"Hellbenders are difficult to find," says Andy Hill of the conservation organisation MountainTrue, where he is High Country regional director and Watauga riverkeeper, the key protector, watchdog and spokesperson for the Watauga River watershed. "They're perfectly camouflaged. We try to get into the mind of a hellbender – we identify quality habitat and look for clear, cold-running water. We look under every rock and crevice. You train your eye to look for movement – a blinking eye, a flash. You're elated every time you find one."
Every hellbender counts in the mission to save the largest aquatic salamander species in North America. The elusive, little-known freshwater amphibians, which can grow up to 29in (74cm) long, live in rivers in underwater caves or dens formed by boulders. They have broad, flat heads and stocky, flattened bodies that help them blend into rocky stream beds, with short strong limbs and small beady eyes on top of their heads. They're usually grey or brown in colour, with blotchy or mottled skin that helps them to remain camouflaged in rocky riverbeds.

One factor the hellbender has in its favour – once you get past its odd looks – is a certain charm.
"Almost everyone I've met finds them fascinating," Burgmeier says

p0jnhbx1.jpg.webp

• Love
Reactions: billanole
Clean water? We will never see them.
Probably were never there due to water temp. Do y’all still have plenty of frogs, salamanders, skinks, etc…?
Poor water and air quality are working on them. Hard. Sucks, ‘cause they are just cool as shit to see and their demise is a very much “canary bin the coal mine” warning.

Probably were never there due to water temp. Do y’all still have plenty of frogs, salamanders, skinks, etc…?
Poor water and air quality are working on them. Hard. Sucks, ‘cause they are just cool as shit to see and their demise is a very much “canary bin the coal mine” warning.

I'm not even sure what a skink is but yes to frogs. I don't think I've seen a salamander in the wild.

I'm not even sure what a skink is but yes to frogs. I don't think I've seen a salamander in the wild.
These are the ones we see the most, but the range map shows they aren’t in Iowa.
Kinda cool little fast moving suckers. They are often “under something” that gets overturned. Firewood, a door mat, a water bucket left outside. Their colors are electric.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
I assume they can still be found in the Tuck..saw some there when I was at WCU but that was nearly 50 years ago.
Yep, tho water temps are rising in Tuck waters. One stretch we see them is in the East Fork of the Pigeon above the hurricane damage.

These are the ones we see the most, but the range map shows they aren’t in Iowa.
Kinda cool little fast moving suckers. They are often “under something” that gets overturned. Firewood, a door mat, a water bucket left outside. Their colors are electric.
Dear Skinks,

Sorry about that name we gave you

Singed,
Anonymous

Last edited:
  • Love

Those look awesome! I mean, I'd probably freak if I saw one under something the first time but they look so cool.

Frogs and toads are still prevalent in my area, we found a salamander on our property last summer but they aren’t as numerous as 35 years ago, I used to find them all the time as a kid.

Those look awesome! I mean, I'd probably freak if I saw one under something the first time but they look so cool.
Our daughter kept one in an old aquarium for several years. Throw some crickets in there from time to time… friggin skink would “fuzz up” big time and go on the hunt. Sucker would snap the cricket in half in one fell swoop. I was like, “Dang!?”
Mini dinosaur action.
The other thing is those suckers haul butt on the move and exhibit shifty, running back moves.

I used to find Tiger salamanders all of the time in our house’s window wells when I was a kid in Waterloo, Iowa circa late 1960s early 1970s. It’s been decades since I’ve seen one in the wild.

I used to find Tiger salamanders all of the time in our house’s window wells when I was a kid in Waterloo, Iowa circa late 1960s early 1970s. It’s been decades since I’ve seen one in the wild.
In North Florida as kids we were constantly chasing around chameleon lizards under the house and on outside walls.
Try to catch one and often you were left with the tail only as that was the escape route they were designed with.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT