ADVERTISEMENT

Feast or Fall to 4-6 in the Big Ten

cidsports

HB King
We can all smile, laugh or even cry, as Iowa Hawkeye fans?

At Kinnick, we got them in football, but in wrestling and men's basketball, the Nittany Lions got the last laugh!

Even the ladies couldn't win last night at Carver, against a solid Ohio State team, on the rise.

Change for the sake of change brought us the Todd Lickliter era, after Steve Alford's reign didn't bear fruit, with 13 years of Tom Davis only getting Iowa near the top of the Big Ten standings.

I have noticed a couple of threads upset over the State of Iowa men's basketball.

Winning isn't easy on the Big Ten road.

Iowa is young lead by two sophomores, who were off the radar, when they signed at Iowa, out of a Florida prep school. Ironically, Iowa became relevant, because of the play of one of those young men.

But, Iowa couldn't shoot last night with much consistency. I missed 50 shots from the field. Also, their opponent won the boards and it was certainly a physical game.

Fran McCaffery is an interesting coach. At one point in his career he admitted he didn't value defense. Thankfully, he is substituting for it, but this team isn't playing at a high level, with much consistency, as they fall to 4-6 in the Big Ten.

Ironically, Connor McCaffery kept Iowa in the game for part of it. Then, Keegan Murray began to step up.

But, ultimately, winning is hard for Iowa.

No question, Iowa lacks solid post play. But, after losing Luka Garza and Joe Wieskamp to the NBA, the Hawkeyes are still in the fight.

The Hawkeyes did take the game to double overtime. It has been an up and down season, but the glass is more full than empty.

I am not a huge McCaffery fan, but hats off to the Hawks for fighting it out in State College last night.

Beware. Change for the sake of change didn't help Iowa Basketball last time around.

Fran needs to pick up the pieces and get ready for the next challenge. Another road date: at Ohio State.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News