ADVERTISEMENT

March 12 ESPN Bracketology (Final Edition): IOWA remains an 8 Seed (in Birmingham). Bracket Matrix has them as a 9 Seed

What's interesting, too, is after Purdue, there is not much expected from the B1G this year. Every other team is projected as a 6 seed or worse, which means only Purdue is considered Sweet 16 material.
In mid January...

Keep that in mind.

Fran needs to change things up…
Has missing PMac’s poor defense helped in this 2-0 streak where strong defense (IU 2nd half) has been factor in both wins.?
Not just defense imo. Ball movement is noticeably quicker and the tighter player rotation keep guys dialed in. PM has never done much on the boards for a 6'9" guy. His length is missed on the press and zone but overall we are quicker and more disruptive. Bit of a push on his absence.

Reactions: KcTo
Not just defense imo. Ball movement is noticeably quicker and the tighter player rotation keep guys dialed in. PM has never done much on the boards for a 6'9" guy. His length is missed on the press and zone but overall we are quicker and more disruptive. Bit of a push on his absence.
Another factor is that Kris, Rebraca are both getting PMacs minutes, and both are far superior defenders and rebounders.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Another factor is that Kris, Rebraca are both getting PMacs minutes, and both are far superior defenders and rebounders.
Yes, they are getting some, but it's a marginal amount of the 26 minutes. Minutes for Kris & Filip against Power 6 opponents where they & Pat all played this year:

Seton Hall: Kris 37, Fil 35
Clemson: Kris 35, Fil 36
TCU: Kris 30, Fil 25 (4 fouls)
G Tech: Kris 39, Fil 30
Duke: Kris 36, Fil 33
Average: Kris 35.4, Fil 31.8

Compare that to the last 2 games:
Indiana: Kris 40, Fil 38
Rutgers: Fil 40, Kris 34
Average: Kris 37, Fil 39

So combined they are playing roughly about 8.5 more minutes than they were with Patrick. That still leaves roughly 18 minutes to distribute to everyone else.

Yes, they are getting some, but it's a marginal amount of the 26 minutes. Minutes for Kris & Filip against Power 6 opponents where they & Pat all played this year:

Seton Hall: Kris 37, Fil 35
Clemson: Kris 35, Fil 36
TCU: Kris 30, Fil 25 (4 fouls)
G Tech: Kris 39, Fil 30
Duke: Kris 36, Fil 33
Average: Kris 35.4, Fil 31.8

Compare that to the last 2 games:
Indiana: Kris 40, Fil 38
Rutgers: Fil 40, Kris 34
Average: Kris 37, Fil 39

So combined they are playing roughly about 8.5 more minutes than they were with Patrick. That still leaves roughly 18 minutes to distribute to everyone else.
I was going to edit to include CMac, as he’s also gotten added minutes who’s gone from ~24 min to 34 minutes
that is another 10 min of much better defense

which leaves 8, for Sandfort

again showing adding greater defense in the aggregate with these 3 , replacing a poor defender, can have a distinct difference in aggregate defensive outcomes.

18 total wins and we'll make the tournament, book it.
Andy Katz came out with his bracket, with no IOWA, so,there is work to be done above and beyond the current expectation

i don’t think 18-13 makes it…

As of today, Jan 13, TEN B1G Teams are projected to make the Big Dance.

Iowa gets one of the last 4 byes; Iowa is projected as a 10 seed and would face #7 seed North Carolina with the winner facing #2 Tennessee/#15 Samford in Greensboro.

Penn State is the 1st team OUT.

The 10 B1G Teams:

1 Purdue
6 Rutgers @MrsScrew
6 Michigan State
7 Illinois
8 Ohio State
8 Wisconsin
9 Maryland
10 IOWA (one of Last 4 byes)
10 Indiana
10 Northwestern (one of Last 4 byes)

Link to full bracket:

Last edited:
Interesting....from my ignorant and crazy Joe fan perspective.....I think PSU should be in assuming they continue their level of play through the rest of the season. Very impressed with their coach and how he has that team playing.

a lot of basketball left but this team has a done a great job getting themselves at least back in the NCAA conversation

Yeah, Penn State is just like Iowa right now (on the bubble).

Keep winning (especially at home) and things will take care of themselves.

Reactions: perryhawk
As of today, Jan 17, TEN B1G Teams are projected to make the Big Dance.

Iowa is projected as a 7 seed and would face #10 seed Charleston with the winner facing #2 Gonzaga/#15 SIU Edwardsville in Denver.

Northwestern is the 3rd team OUT.

The 10 B1G Teams:

1 Purdue
5 Rutgers @MrsScrew
5 Illinois
7 IOWA
7 Michigan State
9 Ohio State
10 Wisconsin (one of Last 4 Byes)
10 Indiana (one of Last 4 Byes)
11 Maryland (one of Last 4 Byes)
11 Penn State (one of Last 4 IN)

Link to full bracket:

As of today, Jan 17, TEN B1G Teams are projected to make the Big Dance.

Iowa is projected as a 7 seed and would face #10 seed Charleston with the winner facing #2 Gonzaga/#15 SIU Edwardsville in Denver.

Northwestern is the 3rd team OUT.

The 10 B1G Teams:

1 Purdue
5 Rutgers @MrsScrew
5 Illinois
7 IOWA
7 Michigan State
9 Ohio State
10 Wisconsin (one of Last 4 Byes)
10 Indiana (one of Last 4 Byes)
11 Maryland (one of Last 4 Byes)
11 Penn State (one of Last 4 IN)

Link to full bracket:

Scratching and clawing our way back to a decent seed.

Scratching and clawing our way back to a decent seed.
I think Penn State gets in easily and Indiana doesn’t make it. Fascinating to see both Iowa and Illinois come back strong after high early season expectations followed by losing streaks.

Is Iowa the 3rd best team in the B1G right now?

Double bye in the B1G Tournament?

Check this out & watch:

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Mike Decourcy writes for the Sporting News and is often seen in the B1G Studio as an analyst.

In his last bracket (2 days ago) he had tOSU & Indiana as part of the first 4 OUT

He had 9 B1G teams in:

1 Purdue
5 Rutgers @MrsScrew
7 Michigan State
9 Illinois
9 IOWA
10 Penn State
11 Wisconsin
11 Maryland (one of Last 4 IN)
12 Northwestern (one of Last 4 IN)

FmsJXqKWACg2gFd

FmsJgb-WAAwBTiF

FmsJq0dWABYpkew

As of today, Jan 20, TEN B1G Teams are projected to make the Big Dance.

Iowa is projected as a 7 seed and would face #10 seed Charleston with the winner facing #2 Arizona/#15 Eastern Washington in Sacramento.

Penn State is the 2nd team OUT.

The 10 B1G Teams:

1 Purdue (TOP Overall Seed)
5 Rutgers @MrsScrew
6 Illinois
7 IOWA
7 Michigan State
9 Indiana
10 Wisconsin
10 Maryland (one of Last 4 Byes)
11 Ohio State (one of Last 4 IN)

Link to full bracket:

Last edited:
Mike Decourcy writes for the Sporting News and is often seen in the B1G Studio as an analyst.

In his last bracket (2 days ago) he had tOSU & Indiana as part of the first 4 OUT

He had 9 B1G teams in:

1 Purdue
5 Rutgers @MrsScrew
7 Michigan State
9 Illinois
9 IOWA
10 Penn State
11 Wisconsin
11 Maryland (one of Last 4 IN)

FmsJXqKWACg2gFd

FmsJgb-WAAwBTiF

FmsJq0dWABYpkew
Being in Kansas's group would mean Des Moines. I doubt they actually do that to Kansas, but that'd be pretty sweet if we are an 8/9 seed. Obviously, I'd prefer we keep wining and get a better seed.

Reactions: Ree4 and perryhawk
Again, this Iowa team making the tournament would be gravy.

This isn't a team that's gonna win the national championship (I know....I know.....), but I, and everyone else obviously, would love to at least see this team playing at their maximum potential come March, and at least see if they can win a game or two in the tournament.

I think that would be the high bar goal for this team.......and of course as we know, things rarely ever work the way we hope they will.

Again, this Iowa team making the tournament would be gravy.

This isn't a team that's gonna win the national championship (I know....I know.....), but I, and everyone else obviously, would love to at least see this team playing at their maximum potential come March, and at least see if they can win a game or two in the tournament.

I think that would be the high bar goal for this team.......and of course as we know, things rarely ever work the way we hope they will.

At some point we have to catch a break. Get the team that upset the higher seed in Round 2 rather than a 2 or 3 seed like usual.

I don’t ask for much. A sweet 16, a non-curb stomp Rose Bowl …

Look a little deeper. Tennessee was also a 11 seed. Winner played overrated 6 seed Massachusetts. Tennessee won by 20 plus. Then beat Mercer to make sweet 16..

I don’t consider having to win two games against higher seeds to have a chance at a third game against the lower seed the kind of break I was talking about.

I was talking about being a 7, and then playing a 15 who beat a 2 to get to the round of 16. But I see your point - a TN, MA, Mercer three game run for the Sweet 16. That was an avenue.

Last year was better and the only one where I’d say we had a very good path and shit the bed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT