ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Baseline Abortion Bill

Interesting, I can admit when I'm wrong, found it extremely interesting Denmark is only 12 weeks. But you still in Europe in almost all of these countries have exceptions for Medical personnel to make decisions throughout the length of the pregnancy.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I have often wondered why the Dems didn’t pass anything like this in the past 50 years.

They had to know the GOP would overturn it eventually.

Most of Europe is at 12 weeks for “elective” abortions
As to whether Mississippi's law = Europe per abortion, See link--apparently very very misleading.

Schumer put forward a Abortion bill he knew would fail last month. Didn’t even consider the Collins/Murkowski bill.

That bill gets more votes but probably doesn’t reach 60 and is filibustered

Why not put forward a baseline Federal Bill that sets the limit a state can go to in regards to abortion restrictions to 12 weeks with exceptions for rape/incest and the life of the mother.

States would have the option to extend the 12 weeks to the original Roe standard or somewhere in between if their legislatures see fit. So states like California would keep their existing abortion laws as long as it kept within Roe

A bill like this has positives IMO

1. It probably gets 60+ votes

2. If any “moderate” R’s vote against they’d make themselves instantly vulnerable. Right now they can hide behind the Supreme Court Decision and Schumers original bill.

3. We can avoid years of tiresome abortion threads for years to come on HORT.
I would be good with a compromise like this, but the first question that comes to my mind is whether the federal government is able to pass a law that limits states' ability to create laws in this manner. Could the federal government also set standards for state laws on theft and fraud, for example? Seems like the 10th Amendment may come into play here. I question whether Congress and the federal government has that authority.

I would be good with a compromise like this, but the first question that comes to my mind is whether the federal government is able to pass a law that limits states' ability to create laws in this manner. Could the federal government also set standards for state laws on theft and fraud, for example? Seems like the 10th Amendment may come into play here. I question whether Congress and the federal government has that authority.
Good question. From what I’ve been reading on the subject they could…but I’m not an expert on the subject

As to whether Mississippi's law = Europe per abortion, See link--apparently very very misleading.
Europes laws aren’t very consistent…basically span the spectrum.

Europes laws aren’t very consistent…basically span the spectrum.
And the 12 week cut-offs pretty much universally aren't actually 12 week cut-offs, after that pretty much everywhere you have extended out to at least 24 weeks exceptions for health of the mother that include mental health.

No chance in hell a baseline bill comes up now....not after the new Generic polling came out.

Schumer and co. aren't going to give the R's an "out" now....

Schumer put forward a Abortion bill he knew would fail last month. Didn’t even consider the Collins/Murkowski bill.

Why not put forward a baseline Federal Bill that sets the limit a state can go to in regards to abortion restrictions to 12 weeks with exceptions for rape/incest and the life of the mother.

States would have the option to extend the 12 weeks to the original Roe standard or somewhere in between if their legislatures see fit. So states like California would keep their existing abortion laws as long as it kept within Roe

2. If any “moderate” R’s vote against they’d make themselves instantly vulnerable. Right now they can hide behind the Supreme Court Decision and Schumers original bill.

"Why not put forward a baseline Federal Bill that sets the limit a state can go " - because they don't have the power to? It's not up to the national government to determine how states make laws

I really don't think their bill would get 60 votes.

However I do think it's a missed opportunity for the Dems to come out looking like the people who are willing to negotiate and be moderate on the issue.

Still wouldn't get 60 votes but they could have looked like the moderates on the issue.

"Why not put forward a baseline Federal Bill that sets the limit a state can go " - because they don't have the power to? It's not up to the national government to determine how states make laws

Meh they can use their influence via federal dollars to do things like that. Same way they made the drinking age 21 across the country. It's been done before.

Meh they can use their influence via federal dollars to do things like that. Same way they made the drinking age 21 across the country. It's been done before.
National 55 speed limit before that...sure glad that went away.

For some reason my grandfather adhered to it after it went away....longest drive from Clinton to Boone in recorded history. My wife still brings up that death march....cars passing on the right "why's your grandpa driving in the left lane".......miserable.

ADVERTISEMENT