ADVERTISEMENT

Federal grant boosts Orlando's "tree equity" program....

I can't even begin to discuss how stupid everything about this program is. Holy crap.
You seem to be against shade in a very hot town. Do you have shade trees on your plantation?
Cooler temps in the summer equals happier people. Trees help provide cooler temps.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy

I can't even begin to discuss how stupid everything about this program is. Holy crap.
hey, this is actually a great example of systemic racism coming into fruition decades later. Back when cities were still being readlined, tons of resources were allocated to whiter neighborhoods, including planting trees. Now decades later these trees are mature.

Trees not only cast shade, but they soak up a lot of CO2 and also release moisture in the form of evaporation cooling areas around them. Neighborhoods with more trees heavily contribute to lower temperatures in the summer. Planting trees in neighborhoods with low canopy percentages can help a lot. Hell, planting trees in any neighborhood can help a lot.

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today. This program sounds like it will really help the specific neighborhoods that needs this program.

Newly-planted trees need LOTS of water.

Forcing trees on people who aren't going to care for them will result in a lot of dead taxpayer-funded trees.
It's not that hard. Put a slow release water bag on each tree and fill it once a week. Have the city urban forestry department make frequent stops to make sure they're being filled.

You could probably make a less sensible post, but I don’t think you are able.

You realize that the city charges residents for the amount of water they consume, right?

They're not going to water those trees, and they will die or otherwise fail to become anything that creates any shade.

You realize that the city charges residents for the amount of water they consume, right?

They're not going to water those trees, and they will die or otherwise fail to become anything that creates any shade.
I worked for a parks department that plants hundreds of trees each year. They're not going to just start putting trees in random yards. They'll have to have people opt in to the program.

They'll likely go 2 routes: 1.) have people that want a tree planted in their easement apply for a tree; and 2.) search out specific homes and businesses that would be good candidates, and ask them if they want to opt into the program. They'll walk them through the tree care. 20 gallons of water each week is not really that expensive to the homeowner, that's about as much as a typical shower.

Newly-planted trees need LOTS of water.

Forcing trees on people who aren't going to care for them will result in a lot of dead taxpayer-funded trees.
I guess you could miss the point more, but it would be difficult.
Planting and caring for more trees will benefit the neighbor and the city at large.
Why would you suggest that new trees are being “forced” on residents who don’t want to care for them?
You seemingly look for reasons to get “up into a bother” about.
Chill out, grill out, and celebrate new trees wherever they are planted/seeded.

Another poorly thought out and spiteful post.

According to the article, it looks like their program has been pretty successful in their 2 initial neighborhoods. Don't see why they can't continue that success.

Reactions: billanole
I guess you could miss the point more, but it would be difficult.
Planting and caring for more trees will benefit the neighbor and the city at large.
Why would you suggest that new trees are being “forced” on residents who don’t want to care for them?
You seemingly look for reasons to get “up into a bother” about.
Chill out, grill out, and celebrate new trees wherever they are planted/seeded.
top reasons to plant a tree
  • Shelter from summer heat and winter wind
  • Clean air and life-giving oxygen.
  • Increased property value and improved curb appeal for your home
  • Reduced storm water runoff = cleaner rivers and streams and a reduced load on our municipal sewer system.
  • Carbon sequestration.
  • Provide food and shelter for wildlife.

Another poorly thought out and spiteful post. If you had the chance to make your property and hood more comfortable and desirable, even at a small cost, would you just huff and puff about the short term cost to help the no cost improvement become viable?
In your area, a few infrequent waterings is all it would take to get tree plantings viable. The benefit would be realized by the city residents and visitors as a whole for decades.

Last edited:
In your area, a few infrequent waterings is all it would take to get tree plantings viable. The benefit would be realized by the city residents and visitors as a whole for decades.

Did you just reply to yourself?

And if that comment was meant for me, then no... rainfall will not suffice for a newly-planted nursery-grown tree. Even during the rainy season. Trees grown in big pots need a lot of water for the first entire year or two until they're established.

Our state government is "beautifying" all the highway exit ramps with dozens upon dozens of trees on all four corners of the interchanges. Trucks come by on a schedule and blast hundreds of gallons of water on them. Many still do not survive.

Surely you've seen this if you pay any attention to government waste?

If that program is like the one we had in Corvo, the program will fit each new tree with a water bag. They have a group of volunteers that go around and check the newly inventoried trees in their neighborhood about once a week. If the homeowner didn't water it, the parks crew will stop by with a water tank and fill it up.

Did you just reply to yourself?

And if that comment was meant for me, then no... rainfall will not suffice for a newly-planted nursery-grown tree. Even during the rainy season. Trees grown in big pots need a lot of water for the first entire year or two until they're established.

Our state government is "beautifying" all the highway exit ramps with dozens upon dozens of trees on all four corners of the interchanges. Trucks come by on a schedule and blast hundreds of gallons of water on them. Many still do not survive.

Surely you've seen this if you pay any attention to government waste?
I really don't think water will be an issue. They're only going to be putting 1 tree in peoples yards that opt in. Any locations that will get multiple trees will likely be city parks.

Again, they'll fit all the trees with bags. They would be dumb not to. This will slow drip the water to the roots and not just blasting surface area that will evaporate quickly. Most bags are like 20+ gallons, so they'll only need to fill them once a week.

I really don't think water will be an issue. They're only going to be putting 1 tree in peoples yards that opt in. Any locations that will get multiple trees will likely be city parks.

Again, they'll fit all the trees with bags. They would be dumb not to. This will slow drip the water to the roots and not just blasting surface area that will evaporate quickly. Most bags are like 20+ gallons, so they'll only need to fill them once a week.

You're assuming that anyone is going to do the bag thing, or maybe there will be some idiot driving by in a truck spraying water once in awhile.

That's a big assumption.

You're assuming that anyone is going to do the bag thing, or maybe there will be some idiot driving by in a truck spraying water once in awhile.

That's a big assumption.
I would be shocked if they didn't fit them with bags. Either way, the article states they've been very successful in two separate neighborhoods. In fact, so successful the feds granted them $1million to expand.

I would be shocked if they didn't fit them with bags. Either way, the article states they've been very successful in two separate neighborhoods. In fact, so successful the feds granted them $1million to expand.

And then the hurricane comes and blows down all the poorly cared-for trees.

Rinse and repeat.

Trying to convince poor people to put a tree in their yard just screams, GOVERNMENT WASTE to me.

YMMV.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44

Rinse and repeat.

Trying to convince poor people to put a tree in their yard just screams, GOVERNMENT WASTE to me.

YMMV.
They prob won't be trying too much convincing. A simple no and they'll prob move on. They'll likely get a lot of people reaching out to the city forestry department to opt in.

And to refuse to try to even plant new trees because hurricanes is a ridiculous reason.

Rinse and repeat.

YMMV.
TRAD, I think you are trying too hard.

Maybe it's time to regroup, and, re-evaluate?

Rinse and repeat.

YMMV.
keep going

eventually you'll find a reason to dislike this that doesn't make you sound like a complete idiot

Last edited:

That's a big assumption.
Poor ole trad. Has to whine about good things, just because…
My god dude, are you truly against this effort? Really, is that what your life has become? Be happy with your family and friends.
Cook a big spread this weekend, enjoy Spring weather, celebrate tree plantings and maybe even help water them…

Reactions: TheCainer
Poor ole trad. Has to whine about good things, just because…
My god dude, are you truly against this effort? Really, is that what your life has become? Be happy with your family and friends.
Cook a big spread this weekend, enjoy Spring weather, celebrate tree plantings and maybe even help water them…

IT IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S PLACE TO DO THIS!

"Tree giveaways" to people in the community who want to pick one up and plant/care for it is one thing.

"Targeting neighborhoods" is what's happening here. The woman in the story literally said, "let's turn this idea on it's head..."

But that means no one will be caring for these trees because they were thrust upon them. They didn't even have to go to the local tree giveaway event, get their tree, drag it home, plant it, water it, fertilize it, and care for it.

It's a reverse money-tree.

• Haha

"Tree giveaways" to people in the community who want to pick one up and plant/care for it is one thing.

"Targeting neighborhoods" is what's happening here. The woman in the story literally said, "let's turn this idea on it's head..."

But that means no one will be caring for these trees because they were thrust upon them. They didn't even have to go to the local tree giveaway event, get their tree, drag it home, plant it, water it, fertilize it, and care for it.

Weird that you think municipalities can’t be involved in community events and upgrades. You are a special one.
Should sidewalks ever be funded?
Never mind, we know your answer.
The libertarian…

Does anyone ever stop and consider WHY certain neighborhoods aren't tree-lined photo-worthy places?

It's not because there's a lack of trees available to plant and care for...

Government "encouragement" isn't going to fix that. We're just going to pay for a bunch of dead trees.

Does anyone ever stop and consider WHY certain neighborhoods aren't tree-lined photo-worthy places?

Government "encouragement" isn't going to fix that. We're just going to pay for a bunch of dead trees.
That’s wacist, and you truly believe it. Trad, again.

I always thought that you lived closer to Daytona rather than Orlando.

Can you show us where this government program touches and violates you? ;)
0cd0080ecb9c8ca378218a08305f0185.jpg

top reasons to plant a tree
  • Shelter from summer heat and winter wind
  • Clean air and life-giving oxygen.
  • Increased property value and improved curb appeal for your home
  • Reduced storm water runoff = cleaner rivers and streams and a reduced load on our municipal sewer system.
  • Carbon sequestration.
  • Provide food and shelter for wildlife.

Hundreds of cities across the US have urban forestry departments that specialize in the planting and growth of trees within cities.

I've listed out across multiple posts why it is good and how it is feasable and all you say is "poor people cant water trees." which is some bullshit.

Reactions: jaxhawk06

redlined practices in the 40s and 50s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT