ADVERTISEMENT

Federal judge halts new U.S. rules limiting credit card late fees

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A federal judge on Friday temporarily blocked the U.S. government from trying to limit credit card late fees, siding with banks and other business lobbyists that had challenged the policy as unconstitutional.

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

The cap on penalties was set to take effect next week, but the new ruling from U.S. District Judge Mark T. Pittman, nominated by President Donald Trump in 2019, would block swift financial relief for millions of Americans who have fallen behind on their bills.

Under the contested policy, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau sought to restrict most penalties for late or missed credit card payments to $8 per month, unless banks could point to data showing that they needed to charge more to make up for their financial losses.

The regulations aimed to close a loophole in federal law that had allowed some companies to charge an average of $32 a month in late fees, enriching an industry that reaped $14 billion in such payments in 2022, the CFPB found.

“The American people are tired of being played for suckers,” President Biden said in March as the agency unveiled its plans.
But major banks and credit card companies sharply opposed any limits on what they could charge late borrowers. After an unsuccessful, year-long lobbying campaign to deter the CFPB, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce joined bank lobbyists and other groups in suing the government this spring, stressing that fees are essential for “deterring late payments.”

On Friday, Pittman granted those lobbying groups’ requests, temporarily halting a policy that would have taken effect May 14. The decision in the Northern District of Texas marked a major early win for Bank of America, Capital One, Citibank and JPMorgan Chase, whose executives serve on the boards of directors for the organizations that sued the government, including the American Bankers Association and the Consumer Bankers Association.

The temporary injunction buys more time for the two sides to argue over the merits of the rules in court. The battle already has been mired in politics and controversy, amid ethics complaints about judges’ stock holdings and fights within the judicial system over who should have the authority to review the case in the first place.

The decision comes as the future of the CFPB itself remains unsettled, hinging on a pivotal Supreme Court case challenging the agency’s funding that is expected to be decided in the coming weeks.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
There should still be a cap so some bank doesn’t reach too far with fees. I’m surprised cuz seems like those who were fine with cap on malpractice seem against cap on bank fees. While they are at it they need to ban resort fees or whatever dumb name hotels give the added BS charges.

There should still be a cap so some bank doesn’t reach too far with fees.
How many lending entities don’t provide information about the fees a customer may encounter while being irresponsible.
While they are at it they need to ban resort fees or whatever dumb name hotels give the added BS charges.
While I dislike them, as long as the information is provided upfront during the reservation process, it is on the customer to choose as said customer likes.

As for the OP, President Biden has it incorrect with his statement. It’s those that are fiscally irresponsible are used to having their debts magically eliminated by our gov’t officials.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Remember when the banks couldn't pay their bills so we sent them trillions of dollars? That was cool.

We’ve bailed out banks, investment banks. airlines, auto manufacturers, savings and loans, insurance companies, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac …

But capping overdraft fees for Joe Six Pack and Betty Housecoat at 8 bucks a month is a bridge too far.

Of course.

How many lending entities don’t provide information about the fees a customer may encounter while being irresponsible.

While I dislike them, as long as the information is provided upfront during the reservation process, it is on the customer to choose as said customer likes.

As for the OP, President Biden has it incorrect with his statement. It’s those that are fiscally irresponsible are used to having their debts magically eliminated by our gov’t officials.
They never tell you what the hidden hotel fees are until you pay or check into the hotel. Toat BS.

They never tell you what the hidden hotel fees are until you pay or check into the hotel. Toat BS.
The statement I replied to said resort fees. I have seen this type of information in the past.

Any hidden fees, I would agree. Although, minimal research of reviews would likely make one aware.

We’ve bailed out banks, investment banks. airlines, auto manufacturers, savings and loans, insurance companies, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac …

But capping overdraft fees for Joe Six Pack and Betty Housecoat at 8 bucks a month is a bridge too far.

Of course.

Why do you think the federal government should regulate EVERYTHING in our lives?

It wasn't supposed to be that way. We're supposed to be a coalition of states with a very limited federal government.

Why do you think the federal government should regulate EVERYTHING in our lives?

It wasn't supposed to be that way. We're supposed to be a coalition of states with a very limited federal government.

World is too complicated and too interconnect now. One falls we all fall.

If we don’t regulate or back off regulations or regulators get cozy with the industry we end up with Boeing planes or hazardous train wrecks or investment bank crisis, or AIG or socializing losses & privatizing profits …

Why do you think only corporations should be entitled to suck from the government teat?

World is too complicated and too interconnect now. One falls we all fall.

If we don’t regulate or back off regulations or regulators get cozy with the industry we end up with Boeing planes or hazardous train wrecks or investment bank crisis, or AIG or socializing losses & privatizing profits …

Why do you think only corporations should be entitled to suck from the government teat?

I never said corporations should be able to suck from the government teat.

The fact remains: The federal government is completely out of control. ALL the agencies are rushing to finalize new rules before the election because it's harder to take something away than it is to impose it in the first place.

And our government should NOT be doing any of that in the first place. Most rules should be made by the states, not the feds.

The fact remains: The federal government is completely out of control. ALL the agencies are rushing to finalize new rules before the election because it's harder to take something away than it is to impose it in the first place.

And our government should NOT be doing any of that in the first place. Most rules should be made by the states, not the feds.

Yes, then we can have a patchwork of 50 laws, some of which you cannot comply with at the same time.

Ask any compliance officer if they want 1 law or 50.

This is where you are once again, wrong. The govt has NOT interceded and once it is determined that the businesses are not able to control and restrain themselves, the govt steps in to protect the small fish. This is a reactive measure. Just like the EPA. Just like health warnings on cigs. Just like when they had to regulate that water, chalk, embalming fluid and cow brains were not to be mixed to increase the volume of milk. Its a tale as old as time.....

With caps it could reduce the amount of credit the banks are willing to give to some people. It might help people from getting so far in debt.

Reactions: TheCainer

An issue is that fees, not only these can be changed. At a whim.

I had a late fee on a credit card maybe 20 years ago. I don’t remember why I was late. Maybe a bank change anyway, the credit card company charged me a late fee of 39 dollars. Twice a day. For six straight days.

Is that reasonable?

I had a late fee on a credit card maybe 20 years ago. I don’t remember why I was late. Maybe a bank change anyway, the credit card company charged me a late fee of 39 dollars. Twice a day. For six straight days.

Is that reasonable?
Depends. How much were you late for?

Were you provided information fees could be changed when you agreed to use their card/credit?

Is that reasonable?
Sounds like a crazy value. But that is the only fact provided. What was the balance on what was owed? Had you been getting unique extra benefits to be using a card from that company?

Were you provided information fees could be changed when you agreed to use their card/credit?

Sounds like a crazy value. But that is the only fact provided. What was the balance on what was owed? Had you been getting unique extra benefits to be using a card from that company?
I do not remember the company. It was early in my credit history and could very well have been something like capital one. Maybe not. I don’t remember the balance but it for sure was less than a grand. It wasn’t a rewards card or anything like that.

Would it ever be acceptable for a company to charge fees like this? Or is it ok as long as it’s in the fine print? I mean, it’s a corporation so whatever they can do to maximize profits am I right?

I do not remember the company. It was early in my credit history and could very well have been something like capital one. Maybe not. I don’t remember the balance but it for sure was less than a grand. It wasn’t a rewards card or anything like that.

Would it ever be acceptable for a company to charge fees like this?
I said it sounded crazy, but I’m not going to write in absolutes that it would never be acceptable. What if someone’s balance was in the $10,000s? There may an appropriate value. Should they hand out interest free loans for however long someone feels like taking to pay, if they ever pay?
Or is it ok as long as it’s in the fine print?
I think fees should be disclosed. As you admit, you don’t recall anything but the paying, so why do you write “in fine print”? Maybe it was obvious and young Mr/Ms cowtipper didn’t pay any attention to it. You admit you don’t remember.
I mean, it’s a corporation so whatever they can do to maximize profits am I right?
People should pay attention. If it seems fishy to begin with, move on to another lender.

Should a credit user can be as irresponsible as they desire (not meaning you specifically)? If the credit company was so bad, people wouldn’t use them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT