ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Judge Upholds Indiana University’s Student Vaccine Requirement

Nobody is forcing students to take a vaccine. They can take one to attend classes or not take it and not attend classes there. I really don't understand how taking a vaccine is now such an issue. Can you imagine if this was the attitude in the 50's when the polio vaccine was announced??? The major reason we have folks so against it is because Trump made it so. Had he sang it's virtues and at each stop told his supporters it was a "beautiful vaccine... the best vaccine and some say most effective vaccine ever" the resistance to taking it would be much, much smaller.
It was an issue....

Then what's the FDA holdup?

Huh?

Pfizer is the one who submits for approval, not the "FDA"
The rules that have been in place for decades require a specific followup timeline before you can submit. This is precisely WHY the EUA laws exist, so that something can be approved provisionally in lieu of this timeline.

Pfizer just submitted for this about a month ago, IIRC. It's not a "rubber stamp" here, they need to follow the existing rules, laws and practices in place. Priority has been on getting EUAs for younger age groups approved, so that the vaccines are available to them sooner.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Huh?

Pfizer is the one who submits for approval, not the "FDA"
The rules that have been in place for decades require a specific followup timeline before you can submit. This is precisely WHY the EUA laws exist, so that something can be approved provisionally in lieu of this timeline.

Pfizer just submitted for this about a month ago, IIRC. It's not a "rubber stamp" here, they need to follow the existing rules, laws and practices in place. Priority has been on getting EUAs for younger age groups approved, so that the vaccines are available to them sooner.
I'm referring to the full approval of the Moderna and J & J vaccines.

lol... that was a manufacturing error that was corrected. Not anything to do with the vaccine itself. That said, people lined up for the vaccine and couldn't get it fast enough... to include once they fixed the Cutter error and resumed the vaccine. Why, because people believed in science and trusted this would be better than the alternative. If this was now... you'd have large swathes of conservatives only against it due to politics. That's sad. Go get vaccinated to protect yourself and the ones you love. Leave politics at your front door.

Reactions: nu2u and Joes Place
That was AFTER the initial polio vaccines had been "announced" and released.

And, again, it is WHY we have the laws in place now for the various stages and testing.

Did you simply not realize that this answers your "why do we need the FDA" question?
FDA full approval knock's out the only leg anti-vaxers are standing on......they need to get it done.

The argument I hear from the few anti-vaxers I know is that the vaccines only have emergency authorization. You may not agree with that argument but it's definitely out there.

I'm referring to the full approval of the Moderna and J & J vaccines.

Like....the rules for them are DIFFERENT than they are for Pfizer?
Remember: Pfizer's vaccine was out "first", and has the longest data track-record.

What aspect of these timelines is confusing for you? None of them can apply UNTIL they have a certain volume of patients WITH a minimum followup time. Again: literally why the EUA exists.

Nothing to do with "origins" of EUA law.

Everything to do with the reasons and logic as to why it was put in place.

I know why it was put in place,.. It was specifically designed to provide early access to pharmaceuticals that showed promise but were as yet unapproved for general use. The final decision regarding personal use of any EUA offering has always belonged to the individual,.. and that's where it remains.

FDA full approval knock's out the only leg anti-vaxers are standing on......they need to get it done.

The argument I hear from the few anti-vaxers I know is that the vaccines only have emergency authorization. You may not agree with that argument but it's definitely out there.
It's the shift for the reason behind being against the vaccine. Once approved fully in the coming months the reason will shift to something else.

lol... that was a manufacturing error that was corrected. Not anything to do with the vaccine itself. That said, people lined up for the vaccine and couldn't get it fast enough... to include once they fixed the Cutter error and resumed the vaccine. Why, because people believed in science and trusted this would be better than the alternative. If this was now... you'd have large swathes of conservatives only against it due to politics. That's sad. Go get vaccinated to protect yourself and the ones you love. Leave politics at your front door.
You're the one who referred to the 1950's rollout and it was a disaster.

You're the one who referred to the 1950's rollout and it was a disaster.
You're wrong. It had huge success and people wanted it. Then one manufacturer had an error creating a pause and caused issues with those who took their version. After fixing the issue... people again lined up for it. Wasn't a disaster as you suggest and people even after an error that caused illness and even death in some cases still lined up to get the vaccine unlike a certain group today who simply refuse due to politics.

It's the shift for the reason behind being against the vaccine. Once approved fully in the coming months the reason will shift to something else.
Sure...many will shift to something else. Some won't....and it'll provide a stronger argument for mandates.

The objective is to get more shots in arms. If full approval moves the needle a few percentage points that a good thing.

You're wrong. It had huge success and people wanted it. Then one manufacturer had an error creating a pause and caused issues with those who took their version. After fixing the issue... people again lined up for it. Wasn't a disaster as you suggest and people even after an error that caused illness and even death in some cases still lined up to get the vaccine unlike a certain group today who simply refuse due to politics.
I stand corrected.

I know why it was put in place,.. It was specifically designed to provide early access to pharmaceuticals that showed promise but were as yet unapproved for general use.

Nope.

There are separate laws for this. They are called "compassionate use" laws.

Just wish people would get vaccinated or wear a mask to protect themselves and others. The death and illness seen now doesn't need to occur.
I agree. The thing is it's not only MAGA that's hesitant and like I said....I always hear the FDA hasn't given full approval as one of the reasons for not getting it. I can understand that argument even though I got the vaccine back in March.

My brother is uber "liberal" but him and his wife have always been anti-vaccine....still are unfortunately.

Perhaps that's what these non-vaxers are looking for,.. because the compassion has certainly been lacking..
Non-vaxxers are looking for compassion ....good god you can't be serious. Newsflash: we are deep into a highly contagious and deadly pandemic.

I agree. The thing is it's not only MAGA that's hesitant and like I said....I always hear the FDA hasn't given full approval as one of the reasons for not getting it. I can understand that argument even though I got the vaccine back in March.

My brother is uber "liberal" but him and his wife have always been anti-vaccine....still are unfortunately.
I know it's not just MAGA, but they are a large contingent resisting it. A lot has to do with conservative talking heads constantly going on about it so many follow their talking points. But, there is also Ds who are also not doing it too. It's all sad. really. We have a way to prevent or greatly reduce death and the severity of this and people are sitting on the sidelines and when they get sick and are dying it's too late.

Non-vaxxers are looking for compassion?
Most of them are simply looking to be left alone,.. since it's ultimately their choice I think that would be the compassionate way to treat them.

I know it's not just MAGA, but they are a large contingent resisting it. A lot has to do with conservative talking heads constantly going on about it so many follow their talking points. But, there is also Ds who are also not doing it too. It's all sad. really. We have a way to prevent or greatly reduce death and the severity of this and people are sitting on the sidelines and when they get sick and are dying it's too late.
Another factor is that although 600K plus have died from it.....in a nation of 320M there are a lot of folks that haven't been personally effected. Just heard the wife of a dude that died from covid saying she wishes they had vaxed. They had thought the threat was exagerated....probably from their personal experience.

Combine the reluctance to vax with the amount of folks who haven't been personally effected and you have a ton of folks ripe for the picking in regards to anti-vax rhetoric.

ADVERTISEMENT