ADVERTISEMENT

Feenstra only Iowa Rep to vote against marriage bill

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The House on Thursday passed legislation that would federally protect same-sex marriages and interracial couples in a 258-169 vote, clearing the way for President Biden’s signature. The Senate passed the bill in a bipartisan vote on Nov. 29.
Thirty-nine House Republicans joined all Democrats in support of the Respect for Marriage Act, a vote that was required after the Senate included bipartisan amendments to ease some Republicans’ concerns about religious liberty. Forty-seven House Republicans had supported an earlier version of the bill in July.
You can take a look at how members voted here in a graphic pulled together by The Post’s Hannah Dormido, Adrian Blanco and Kati Perry.

Another one he voted against.

FTR, I don't think serving in the military should mean an automatic citizenship. However, it should absolutely give non-citizens an easier path considering they'll have already meet a couple parts of their oath of allegiance.

Not sure why someone wouldn't vote for it. Will have to read dissenting vote reasons at some point. Looks like they put in religious protections, just not enough for some I guess.

Not sure why someone wouldn't vote for it. Will have to read dissenting vote reasons at some point. Looks like they put in religious protections, just not enough for some I guess.
Because it's kind of a useless bill. It only "protects" against government people doing something (" No person acting under color of State law may deny") and it primarily is just sound bite piece for one party to bring up in future elections.

Waste of time but I'm glad it went through if they were going to waste the time anyway. Now it's done and dems can stop fear mongering. On this topic anyway.

Reactions: ICHerky
Waste of time but I'm glad it went through if they were going to waste the time anyway. Now it's done and dems can stop fear mongering. On this topic anyway.

Agree it's a waste of time but it was also a waste of time for the SCOTUS to over turn settled law with Roe vs Wade but yet they did. So here we are. Our law makers are now wasting time to protect rights from being stripped away by a new political organization called SCOTUS.

A good ol’ Christian Reformer voting his good ol’ Christian Reformer conscience can’t be a surprise here.
These folks will find you sin everywhere! That is what they do.
Don’t worry, I’m sure God will have her kids attempt suicide for a few laughs. He’s funny like that right Joel?

I'm a little surprised that Hinson voted yes. I can't decide if she genuinely believes in equality, or it was a coldly calculated move to show she's all compassionate on a bill that was going to pass regardless of her vote, and had genuine bi-partisan support. MMM has LGBTQ family members, and seems genuinely human when it comes to equal rights.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT