ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Coaching Tree?

SeattleHawki

All-Conference
Aug 1, 2005
I was telling my son yesterday about Hayden Fry and his incredible ability to hire smart coaches who went on to lead programs, and it dawned on me: has Kirk hired anyone that has moved on and had success? I can’t think of anyone, but maybe I’m forgetting someone?

If there truly is no one, perhaps the CEO’s inability to hire well may be the root of why the Iowa program seems to be so broken?

Of course I recognize Phil Parker’s great ability (and Norm’s) but seriously, no one else in 23 years?

Jog my memory. This can’t be right.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
branchless_tree_by_purpaul317_dec1hey-fullview.jpg

Joe Philbin

Yep. I forgot about Joe. Now those were some O lines.
I'm drawing a blank here....but the guy that replaced him...who passed on that cruise....he was a lower level head coach who I thought after a few years in iowa could be a candidate....he was impressive in clinics.....but obviously never happened.

A true assessment may not be possible for another 10-15 years. Have to give some of the guys on his recent and current staffs time to make their own way. Kirk himself is a perfect example. He didn’t prove himself as a great leader of a program until after Fry retired. Not saying he’ll have the same kinda tree Fry had, but I think it’s way too soon to tell for sure.

Reactions: natchrlman
he doesn’t have a coaching tree because his best assistants stay put…… look at the tenure on the staff

Aside from Parker and Parker, one of the better assistants was Morgan, and he got shuffled to make room for BF…. Soo… this is who leads us now…. Fvck faces

I was telling my son yesterday about Hayden Fry and his incredible ability to hire smart coaches who went on to lead programs, and it dawned on me: has Kirk hired anyone that has moved on and had success? I can’t think of anyone, but maybe I’m forgetting someone?

If there truly is no one, perhaps the CEO’s inability to hire well may be the root of why the Iowa program seems to be so broken?

Of course I recognize Phil Parker’s great ability (and Norm’s) but seriously, no one else in 23 years?

Jog my memory. This can’t be right.
HUGE difference in philosophy in hiring assistants between Hayden and Kirk:

Hayden only wanted assistants who aspired to be Head Coaches one day..he spoke of that openly many times

Kirk wants assistants that will be very loyal to him and willing to stay with him for years....the reason Parker has been with him since Day 1, why Reece Morgan was around forever, and why he has so many other assistants who have been around quite some time now. Kirk loves hiring ex-players for him (half of his staff now) because he knows they won't leave him.

Seems my Stillers and the Hawks have the same problem right now. Coaches who have been there forever and have pretty much absolute power over their programs.
No one under MT has gone on to do anything in coaching either. I’m basically in FB hell right now

That is best explanation....don't rock the boat, be polite, only guys without ambition or loyalist that came up through the program. Oh, and put your own kid on 3rd base in his 1st job.
Once again he didn't put his kid on third base for his first job. He had multiple jobs with New England and 1 with Iowa. If he had a different last name, would have been seen as a homerun hire at OC. I get it Brian F has been horrible and should be fired or at least demoted. To pretend he wasn't a position coach with a record setting group under the best football coach in history or a running game coordinator on a team with 2 1,000 yard backs is to deny reality.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT