ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz era all-time 2-deeps

Ralphio

Scout Team
Nov 6, 2015
One guy's take. I'm sure there's some positions where people will largely disagree, but I like this team. Curious what substitutions people would make.

WR
Marvin McNutt
Ed Hinkel
T
Robert Gallery
Bryan Bulaga
G
Eric Steinbach
Seth Olsen
C
Bruce Nelson
Austin Blythe
G
Marshall Yanda
Julian VanderVelde
T
Brandon Scherff
Riley Reiff
WR
Kevin Kasper
DJK
QB
Brad Banks
Drew Tate
TE
Dallas Clark
Tony Moeaki
FB
Jeremy Allen
Tom Busch
RB
Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts

DE
Matt Roth
Drew Ott
DT
Mitch King
Colin Cole
DT
Jonathan Babineaux
Jared Clauss
DE
Adrian Clayborn
Aaron Kampman
OLB
Chad Greenway
Christian Kirksey
MLB
Pat Angerer
Abdul Hodge
OLB
Anthony Hitchens
AJ Edds
CB
Desmond King
Charles Godfrey
CB
Micah Hyde
Jovon Johnson
SS
Bob Sanders
Tyler Sash
FS
Sean Considine
Derek Pagel

K
Nate Kaeding
Mike Meyer
P
Jason Baker
Ryan Donahue
KR
Kahlil Hill
Desmond King

Reactions: ichawk24
I'd start both Sanders and Sash...other wise looks good... I wouldn't mind seeing a Ferentz boy on the line somewhere

DE
Matt Roth
Drew Ott
DT
Mitch King
Colin Cole
DT
Jonathan Babineaux
Jared Clauss
DE
Adrian Clayborn
Aaron Kampman
OLB
Chad Greenway
Christian Kirksey
MLB
Pat Angerer
Abdul Hodge
OLB
Anthony Hitchens
AJ Edds
CB
Desmond King
Charles Godfrey
CB
Micah Hyde
Jovon Johnson
SS
Bob Sanders
Tyler Sash
FS
Sean Considine
Derek Pagel

K
Nate Kaeding
Mike Meyer
P
Jason Baker
Ryan Donahue
KR
Kahlil Hill
Desmond King
I would put Spievey ahead of Jovon Johnson and flip Hodge over Angerer.

Lots of this kind of talk this offseason. Do we do Fry 2-deeps next then pit them against each other? No sarcasm there, I've thought the Fry team vs Ferentz team debate would be really interesting.

I'd start both Sanders and Sash...other wise looks good... I wouldn't mind seeing a Ferentz boy on the line somewhere
Wouldn't be wrong to have Sanders and Sash starting. The OL has a lot of names that could be in there.

Angerer > Jewell > Hodge
King > Speivey > Johnson > Hyde > Prater > Godfrey > Fletcher
Kirksey > Edds > Hitchens (didn't play same position)
DJK at KR, King at PR

Last edited:
O:
LT: Bulaga, Gallery
LG: Steinbach, Reiff
C: Daniels, Nelson
RG: Yanda, Scherff
RT: Gallery/Scheff
TE: Clark, Fiedorowicz
TE: Moeaki/Kittle, Chandler (2 TEs listed due to frequency of our multi-TE sets)
FB: Allen, Plewa
RB: Greene, Lewis/Wadley
WR: McNutt/Brown, Hill
WR: Hinkel, DJK
QB: Banks, Beathard (if Tate was a better leader, I'd have him tied with Banks)

D:
DE: Roth, Ott
DT: Cole, Johnson/Pickens
DT: Babineaux, Klug/King
DE: Clayborn, Kampman
LEO: Kirksey, Edds
MIKE: Angerer, Hodge/Barr
WILL: Greenway, Jewell
S: Sanders, Paschal
S: Sash, Considine
CB: Spievey, Johnson
CB: King, Sapp/Fletcher

Daniels definitely deserving of mention but DL is a more stacked spot than it might seem at first.

I think CJ has to be QB1. Undefeated regular season, Rose Bowl birth, 3rd rounder, and far and away the strongest arm.

WR
Marvin McNutt
Ed Hinkel
T
Robert Gallery
Bryan Bulaga
G
Eric Steinbach
Rapahel Eubanks
C
Bruce Nelson
Brian Ferentz
G
Marshall Yanda
Pete McMahon
T
Brandon Scherff
Riley Reiff
WR
DJK
Clinton Solomon
QB
Brad Banks
Ricky Stanzi
TE
Dallas Clark
CJ F
FB
Mark Wiseman
Edgar Cervantes
RB
Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts

KF has accumulated a lot of talented dudes during his tenure.

It would've been nice to see what CJB could've done if he could have had a better OL and stayed healthy.

Hodge/Angerer is another great debate. I think I'd have to give the edge to Angerer.

Sanders and Considine should be the starting safeties.

The OL and TE talent that has gone thru Iowa City is just silly.

DE
Matt Roth
Christian Ballard
DT
Mitch King
Jaleel Johnson
DT
Jonathan Babineaux
Matt Kroul
DE
Adrian Clayborn
Aaron Kampman
OLB
Chad Greenway
Christian Kirksey
MLB
Pat Angerer
Abdul Hodge
OLB
Anthony Hitchens
AJ Edds
CB
Desmond King
Charles Godfrey
CB
Amari Spivey
Micah Hyde
SS
Bob Sanders
Sean Considine
FS
Tyler Sash
Brett Greenwood

K
Nate Kaeding
Kyle Schlicher
P
Ryan Donahue
David Bradley
KR
DJK
CJ Jones

Last edited:
BigHawk D-port I think has it right... I have no debates. Great job!

I do think Kevin Kasper should be one of the WRs, I can't argue who to replace.

Some of the toughest omissions from my list: Hyde, Bowen, Kasper, Daniels (DT), Russell, Hitchens

It's also sick to think how good an all-star Iowa OL would be.

Hmm, O-Line is surely one of our deepest positions, but you have two repeats on there.
My list there wasn't reflecting any lack of depth - it's simply that some of the guys listed would be elite at either position listed.

If I wanted to add a little buffer to that OL list, adding guys like James Ferentz (C), Dace Richardson (OG), Austin Blythe (OG/C), and Jordan Walsh (OG) all rank up there for the Hawks too.

So TE and DL are completely stacked!!!! Holy cow those are loaded positions! IMO we are stacked besides WR and RB......Does Ladel Betts count as KF or Hayden Fry?

Jeremy Allen should be listed as the number 1 fullback, if not I'd like to know why you chosed someone else.. brad rogers had the potential to take his spot. Tommy b was good at that spot as well

Jeremy Allen should be listed as the number 1 fullback, if not I'd like to know why you chosed someone else.. brad rogers had the potential to take his spot. Tommy b was good at that spot as well
I agree that Allen would have to be the #1 FB. However, going to the #2 becomes a lot more subjective. I hadn't considered it before, but a prior poster may have been on the mark listing Weisman as a top FB.

I agree that Allen would have to be the #1 FB. However, going to the #2 becomes a lot more subjective. I hadn't considered it before, but a prior poster may have been on the mark listing Weisman as a top FB.
Maybe, he only got the nod for what 2 games before he moved to runningback. And the only reason he was fullback was because rogers had the heart condition, I can't grade him as a fullback because he didn't really play it

WR
Marvin McNutt
Ed Hinkel
T
Robert Gallery
Bryan Bulaga
G
Eric Steinbach
Rapahel Eubanks
C
Bruce Nelson
Brian Ferentz
G
Marshall Yanda
Pete McMahon
T
Brandon Scherff
Riley Reiff
WR
DJK
Clinton Solomon
QB
Brad Banks
Ricky Stanzi
TE
Dallas Clark
CJ F
FB
Mark Wiseman
Edgar Cervantes
RB
Shonn Greene
Ladell Betts
Nothing wrong with this team. I really considered Solomon, fiedorowicz, and McMahon too but I would definitely keep Colin cole over Matt Kroul and gotta have Jeremy Allen.

McNutt Clark Gallery Yanda Nelson Steinbach Scherff Hinkle DJK
Banks
Cervantes
Greene

Kasper Moeaki Bulaga Vandervelde Blythe Olsen Calloway Martin-Manly Brown
Stanzi
Busch
Young

QB is the hardest position to judge. A QB's success is dependent on how good of an OL they have to protect them, how good of a running game they have, and how good of WR's they have. Banks had the benefit of one of our best lines ever and a good running game. But he also was a running threat himself that the defense had to defend against. He was our best QB in my opinion, but I will grant anyone else's opinion to be true due to the talent Banks had around him.

Tommy B for the win.

Hodge>Angerer, and I loved me some Pat Angerer.

I like Big D's roster for the most part as well.

So TE and DL are completely stacked!!!! Holy cow those are loaded positions! IMO we are stacked besides WR and RB......Does Ladel Betts count as KF or Hayden Fry?
With the OL that we could assemble, we could make Sam Brownlee and Paki O'Meara look like All-Americans.

I would put Spievey ahead of Jovon Johnson and flip Hodge over Angerer.

My thoughts too. I would put Spievey over Hyde and Johnson though. Also agree on Hodge over Angerer. I would also start Colin Cole over King. King would be the perfect DT to bring in on 3rd downs. Maybe Kahlil Hill over Hinkel as well. Pretty good list though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT