ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz era over?

ok so I did listen to about four hours of kxno and even called in today. from what I was hearing on that radio station I do not see how he can fix this and stay.

It all comes down to what did he know and when did he know it.

Sounds like he had no clue what Doyle was doing and saying.

Sounds like he knew of a couple instances concerning Brian and he addressed it.

Did he know about Seth Wallace bullying Kallenberger? If so, what did he do about it?

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
It all comes down to what did he know and when did he know it.

Sounds like he had no clue what Doyle was doing and saying.

Sounds like he knew of a couple instances concerning Brian and he addressed it.

Did he know about Seth Wallace bullying Kallenberger? If so, what did he do about it?

you should listen to what marvin mcnutt said today. he was basically saying KF did do this deal where he said he blackball these guys from the NFL if they got out of line. that is not right. if true. if true this is not good at all

Let's be honest here. The only reason KF survives this is due to the decades of equity built up. He's given millions to the University and Hospital. He has been a tremendous public face with an impeccable image. That image is seriously tarnished. No one can believe he didn't have a clue that Doyle could tow the line if not cross it and when black kids are leaving by the droves maybe that was time to look into how to make talent from states not in the midwest more likely to stay. KF is complicit. I love KF and hate the thought that he very well might leave on a sour note. But KF had some fatal flaws that we all can see now. 1. Maybe too loyal to the point where Tom said Doyle 'very well might be his best friend' or something to that effect. Everyone knows how close they are. Doyle is responsible to not put KF in a bind. He failed him but maybe KF knew full well. KF should have enforced standards and been in the know. Family and friends in this environment can really breed entitlement.

I am torn. KF has done enough over the years to go out on his terms. If the piling on doesn't stop, I could see him saying 'I am 65 and have generational wealth. I will just take my money and enjoy it where I don't have to deal with all this BS.' If so, I hope Phil gets a chance to lead the program. But would PP be too much 'KF' to be considered (like that sentence would have been a flame a week ago)? I think at the least KF is reconsidering his retirement plans. You took away his ace in Doyle. He seems to despise some of the ways of generations today. He has been successful enough so what's the point of complaining but wins despite being rather archaic. Second, he is stubborn as hell. We win on defense and conservative offense that has cost us many close games. KF was always secure and essentially run a fiefdom. KF had a closed structure that many organizations could become toxic from. But we had KF and he always has been one of the most cherished Iowa figures and trusted. I want him to go out on a real high note. Hayden did not get that. KF one week ago was positioned for just that. Now I am not so sure. Based on how rocked he appears to be, I have a strong feeling if he coaches in 2020 that will be it.
Norm Parker once said that Kirk was a great coach to work for because he lets his coaches coach. He does not micromanage his coaches. I do think that Kirk was blindsided by this, and I am confident he will correct the problems and the program will go forward. I also think he knows that correcting these issues will mean that he too must change the way he runs the program, and that he will make the changes necessary. Go Hawks !

Norm Parker once said that Kirk was a great coach to work for because he lets his coaches coach. He does not micromanage his coaches. I do think that Kirk was blindsided by this, and I am confident he will correct the problems and the program will go forward. I also think he knows that correcting these issues will mean that he too must change the way he runs the program, and that he will make the changes necessary. Go Hawks !
ok so kf goes home and eats ice cream and they all sit around and play poker and pop beers and conspire on how to torture the players at practice using doyle as a sgt? just kidding of course. no, from what I am hearing it comes from the top/.supposedly. if true. I don't see how he can say, "see doyle is gone, all fixed"

ok so kf goes home and eats ice cream and they all sit around and play poker and pop beers and conspire on how to torture the players at practice using doyle as a sgt? just kidding of course. no, from what I am hearing it comes from the top/.supposedly. if true. I don't see how he can say, "see doyle is gone, all fixed"
The weight room was Doyle's domain, I highly doubt Kirk or the other coaches spent time in there at all.

Reactions: papabeef
you should listen to what marvin mcnutt said today. he was basically saying KF did do this deal where he said he blackball these guys from the NFL if they got out of line. that is not right. if true. if true this is not good at all

Link to Mcnutt saying this

I will admit marvin's phone sounded muffled to me, hearing it today so I may have screwed up bits and pieces but later I called in and said it again and the guys didn't dispute me on it. maybe his phone is better on podcast

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/487-...wkeye-marvin-mcnutt-discusses-iowas-63711569/

First and foremost, thanks for the link. That was actually a great interview from one of all of our favorites and to hear his perspective. I recommend every hawk fan to listen to it.

second, however. Maybe I completely missed it as I listened to the entire interview, but I didn’t hear anything close to Marvin saying ferentz told them that the deal was they either listen and do what they say, or he will tell nfl execs bad intel on them. It was merely a fear they had in saying something then and now. Be careful how you say things oit. Not even close to what Marvin said.

my main takeaways From that interview, Doyle is a complete hard ass that crosses the line to being a jerk and demeaning. Everyone he has talked to feels Doyle needs to go. I agree with that.

He also said MOST feel ferentz needs to stay and is the right person to fix this. Just my observation.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I'm sorry but that's a load of shit.

If a guy can get drafted in the 1st round while the analysts play a video of him beating the shit out of a woman, a guy can get drafted with KF not helping him out.

I think there would be a lot of butthurt from the usual snowflake conservatives if they knew Kirk has been a registered Democrat.

It would be funny to read the usual array of mental midgets on here calling Kirk a "libtard." :D:D:D:eek:

kirk supported Chris Christie for President in 2016. That’s no Democrat.

I am starting to not care. Maybe just shutting the program down for 5 years would be the best answer. Honestly, after Merriweathers rant my Hawkeye gear is going to goodwill.
You gonna let some dude, that knew nothing about Iowa a few years ago, run you off? He makes me less likely to boycott. Maybe get a big I stand for the anthem sign!!

If a guy can get drafted in the 1st round while the analysts play a video of him beating the shit out of a woman, a guy can get drafted with KF not helping him out.
You're wrong buddy so shut up!

Pleasing kf is WAY more important to them than forming what they feel is their best team!!

The only people who want Kirk gone or who think his image has been tarnished are "woke" white people who have spent too much time in sociology classrooms. Almost all of the players who have spoken up have declared that they have the utmost respect for Ferentz and don't want him fired. If you really cared about these young men you would be taking that into account. Grow up.
Amen wiscy! Those woke ones need to take a long nap!!

If anything were to happen with KF, I believe Bob Stoops is Barta’s first call.

The main reason I believe Bob Stoops actually says yes is that he does appear to still have a desire to coach. He was going to be coaching in the XFL for heaven’s sake. And Stoops still really loves Iowa.

I think he would return, or at least give it very serious consideration, with the understanding that it may only be for a few years to keep to save/keep the program afloat.

Not saying it would happen, but I can see it happening if KF were to go.
Bartas first call is the unemployment office if kf is canned

Reactions: kceasthawk
I think he says screw it changes him and the programs ways and gives 7 more years and shatters the big ten wins record( idk if 7 would be enough to shatter but point still stands)

You’re talking to a guy that said “kneeling is just a false flag” when he called into KXNO today. I wouldn’t bother.

Actually impressed he only used the term once actually...

First and foremost, thanks for the link. That was actually a great interview from one of all of our favorites and to hear his perspective. I recommend every hawk fan to listen to it.

second, however. Maybe I completely missed it as I listened to the entire interview, but I didn’t hear anything close to Marvin saying ferentz told them that the deal was they either listen and do what they say, or he will tell nfl execs bad intel on them. It was merely a fear they had in saying something then and now. Be careful how you say things oit. Not even close to what Marvin said.

my main takeaways From that interview, Doyle is a complete hard ass that crosses the line to being a jerk and demeaning. Everyone he has talked to feels Doyle needs to go. I agree with that.

He also said MOST feel ferentz needs to stay and is the right person to fix this. Just my observation.
it's possible they cut it in the podcast but he definitely said the reason nobody spoke up in 2009 or 2011 , when this stuff happened, is because the coach has "nfl people hanging outside his door" and coach would threaten them with future nfl careers being sabotaged if they spoke up. period. he said it on air. which caused me to call in. and I said if it's true that is bad. and the hosts on the radio agreed and called it "weaponizing" their job prospects

You’re talking to a guy that said “kneeling is just a false flag” when he called into KXNO today. I wouldn’t bother.

Actually impressed he only used the term once actually...
I also called the confederate flag a "trinket at a flea market" ha ha

KF has had a Leadership council as long as I can remember, and of course there are team captains. These groups are made up of black and white players. Have we heard from any of them?

Did these unhappy players go to the leadership council or the captains? If they did, or if council or captains made their own observations about racial bias, go to KF to let him know this stuff as going on?

Twenty years of players singing the praises of KF and now this? o_O

KF has had a Leadership council as long as I can remember, and of course there are team captains. These groups are made up of black and white players. Have we heard from any of them?

Did these unhappy players go to the leadership council or the captains? If they did, or if council or captains made their own observations about racial bias, go to KF to let him know this stuff as going on?

Twenty years of players singing the praises of KF and now this? o_O
I know it. I couldn't and wouldn't buy it either. till , for some reason, marvin mcnutt has sort of changed my mind a little. I will admit I was huge fan of the guy as a player. I gave him a listen. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

The only people who want Kirk gone or who think his image has been tarnished are "woke" white people who have spent too much time in sociology classrooms. Almost all of the players who have spoken up have declared that they have the utmost respect for Ferentz and don't want him fired. If you really cared about these young men you would be taking that into account. Grow up.
You're a Wisconsin fan. You own him last decade. Of course you want him to stay. I want what's best for the program and right now I honestly don't know what that is. Lots up in air. No question this was poor leadership

it's possible they cut it in the podcast but he definitely said the reason nobody spoke up in 2009 or 2011 , when this stuff happened, is because the coach has "nfl people hanging outside his door" and coach would threaten them with future nfl careers being sabotaged if they spoke up. period. he said it on air. which caused me to call in. and I said if it's true that is bad. and the hosts on the radio agreed and called it "weaponizing" their job prospects
I know it. I couldn't and wouldn't buy it either. till , for some reason, marvin mcnutt has sort of changed my mind a little. I will admit I was huge fan of the guy as a player. I gave him a listen. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

This story seems incredibly hard to believe. I guess it's possible that there are two completely different KF's, but I don't think anyone could keep that up, and keep it quiet, for 20 years.

I do believe it when DJK says KF said bad things about him to GM's pre-draft. I do not believe that he got on the phone and started calling GM's to torpedo his chances, but if one called him I'm sure he told them the truth about DJK.

The scenario presented by McNutt -

1. A black player on the team for 4 or 5 years ....
2. The player is a star .... maybe a captain IDK
3. If he were to sit down with the coaches and say there are racial problems in the program ...
4. KF told him if he said anything he would destroy his NFL career.

A significant part of building a program is getting guys in the NFL. Yet, KF would try to ruin an NFL prospects chances because he expressed a "hard to hear" opinion?

Not. Buying. It.

This story seems incredibly hard to believe. I guess it's possible that there are two completely different KF's, but I don't think anyone could keep that up, and keep it quiet, for 20 years.

I do believe it when DJK says KF said bad things about him to GM's pre-draft. I do not believe that he got on the phone and started calling GM's to torpedo his chances, but if one called him I'm sure he told them the truth about DJK.

3. If he were to sit down with the coaches and say there are racial problems in the program ...

A significant part of building a program is getting guys in the NFL. Yet, KF would try to ruin an NFL prospects chances because he expressed a "hard to hear" opinion?

Not. Buying. It.
Let's all be clear here. Mcnutt was the best WR on that team, even when DJK was a Senior. Mcnutt turned around and put up monster numbers the year after as a Senior, and wasn't drafted until the 6th round! KF played DJK for FOUR years, he gave him every chance to show his product on the field, despite the crap going on. DJK was given chances in lower leagues, and still didn't make it. The NFL to DJK connection just wasn't there despite him being a great WR at Iowa. He needs to realize this first and foremost. Even if KF blackballed him, which I don't believe at all, if he was that good, he would have made his way somewhere.

I hate to type this but I feel like it’s over. Because he is compromised to the point where he can’t be an unwavering, stick in the mud, hardass. For better or worse, that is what I feel has allowed him to be successful. He has basically gotten blue collar guys and told them if you don’t like working your ass off this is not the place for you. He will not be able to do that now. Because Eventually a black player doesn’t have success and they are going to play this card.

And I’m not saying all these allegations are false. I think it sounds like Doyle was a prick(which is expected from the s&c guy) who didn’t know when he was crossing the line. BF also is a prick. But you are already seeing some guys piling on because they weren’t good enough or didn’t have the success they felt they would.

Not. Buying. It.
I am not anti-KF. I really thought he has made strides in the past couple of years and the program elevated. Plus, we don't seem to have the mass transfers we used to. That said, I think most Hawk fans want to think of KF in the light his image projects. I also think he can be petty, stubborn, and kind of a hard ass on things he really needs to be open to. You can complain that a white 2 star former walk on is playing ahead of a 4 star kid, but KF will just point to practice, work ethic etc. I am sure he privately has contempt for some select former players that he likely feels put him in this position with a tarnished reputation. He's not the boy scout he projects to be. That said, he is a good man whose biggest crimes may be loyalty, nepotism, and not being with today's times. The way you could motivate in the 80s and 90s does not work in the 2020s.

I heard you on the air and you did not sound like you exactly had your ducks in a row either and that’s being nice. I’m paraphrasing but McNutt said that Doyle was hard on everyone at times, then sometimes hard on position groups or a single player - ie, although he felt there was more to it for black players, there was acknowledgment that it was applied across the board at times meaning it was not 100% slanted one way.

Then you fail to understand the NFL is job and NFL execs are coming to coaches at all programs of players they are interested in to find out about them. Scouts jobs are on the line so they want credible input so coaches are expected to give their honest assessments. Are you asking coaches to lie and if they do and the opposite happens for what they vouched for at the next level this hurts their credibility and possibly the ability to give input on their future players.

Do you lie about those you reference in your life?

I really like this idea too, if it does come to pass that Kirk leaves. only thing is it would be obviously not for too many years, and there is NO guarantee that he could pick the right successor (Tom Osborne was pretty good coach too, but he didn't do so well picking his successor(s), plural, did he?)

for that reason, I woould prefer Klieman (he's younger),but I think if we could get Bob Stoops, that would at least give us hope for the fture.

If this were to happen and Barta brought Stoops in, my guess is there would be a planned succession with the heir apparent working under Stoops as a coordinator or assistant head coach. Nothing ever guaranteed, but I would think they'd want an heir apparent waiting in the wings.

Certainly can't say for sure, but Kallenberger's own words give cover for the idea that KF wasn't aware. Jack said that when he was upset, he lied about it to Reese Morgan because he didn't want to talk about it. Seems fairly likely to me that if he couldn't talk to Coach Morgan about it that he's not taking it to KF.

I also think he can be petty, stubborn, and kind of a hard ass on things he really needs to be open to. You can complain that a white 2 star former walk on is playing ahead of a 4 star kid, but KF will just point to practice, work ethic etc. I am sure he privately has contempt for some select former players that he likely feels put him in this position with a tarnished reputation. He's not the boy scout he projects to be. .

This is probably all fair.

But, examples of petty?

"Stubborn and hard ass" are double edged swords - one side is head up your ass. The other side is commitment to your beliefs. IDK where he falls.

He's not a saint or even a "boy scout" - I think what he is an exceptional man. A human with flaws, but fewer than most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT