ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz issues apology for comments on Tuesday

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
I had hoped to join the zoom call this morning, but practice lasted longer than anticipated. I wanted to take a moment to apologize for my comments during the news conference yesterday. I should not have been dismissive of one of your colleagues – his questions were fair. I have a high respect for the work that you do, and I am appreciative of how you cover our team. You ask tough and pointed questions but do so with a high degree of professionalism. I tell our players to take the high road and yesterday, I did not do the same thing.

I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

He should be given the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure he’s frustrated and searching for answers. And he might not like some of the answers he’s finding. It’s a tough spot to be in. You can say he put himself in it, and he did, but I’m sure he thought things would be a lot more positive than they have become.

Elaborate on this, are you meaning how he thought the season would be going or positives from reactions of what has transpired this year with this horrible offense? Because if he thought he would get a positive reaction from what this season has become and how awful the offense is, then idk why he would think he would get positive reactions,

Haha....so NOW the PR Department steps in. Those were 100% NOT his own words....he is simply not capable of apologizing without somehow subliminally issuing a subtle shot. Hook him up to a lie detector, and you'll find out that he 100% believes everything he said yesterday.

Haha....so NOW the PR Department steps in. Those were 100% NOT his own words....he is 100% not capable of apologizing without somehow subliminally issuing a subtle shot.
Dude, it should have been a non-issue but it came off distasteful and the guy sacked up and acknowledged it. Don't be that guy. They are not a good football team this year, KF is all thumbs when it comes to coaching passing the football and always has been, he is and always has been a good dude.

I know that I'd be a little snarky if in his position. But that's me😉

Regardless, handling tough questions comes with the job, good or bad. I'd even go so far as to say that's football.

🙂
"If you don't love me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best!" ;*

Haha....so NOW the PR Department steps in. Those were 100% NOT his own words....he is simply not capable of apologizing without somehow subliminally issuing a subtle shot. Hook him up to a lie detector, and you'll find out that he 100% believes everything he said yesterday.
You’re taking your Ferentz hatred a little too far.

This is where I’m totally all over the place. I’ve been very frustrated with the inability to see the need for change, particularly at QB but possibly with the OL as well. And the inability to proactively address WR. But dam it, I truly think KF is a helluva person and genuine as you can get when it’s not something he feels he needs to be guarded about (the team). Classic case of “hate the addiction, love the person” imo. In this case his unhealthy habit is his desire to not change - but I think it’s situations like this or when he hugs/cries with players after a hard fought game - you know he loves the program and tries to do what is right.

Doesn’t absolve him outright, and there’s work/change to be done, but certainly reminds me (and many of us) why we’ve loved the guy as our coach.

Doubled down tonight talking with Dolph at the Vue by saying he apologizes, but did not like the tone the reporter asked the questions with and he has an opinion. Did say he appreciates the media he deals with here because they ask tough questions in a respectful manner.
Ouch! I would have apologized and let it be. What you don't say is everything.

Doubled down tonight talking with Dolph at the Vue by saying he apologizes, but did not like the tone the reporter asked the questions with and he has an opinion. Did say he appreciates the media he deals with here because they ask tough questions in a respectful manner.
so basically he loves those who bow down? i'm kinda surprised by that ;)

He should be given the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure he’s frustrated and searching for answers. And he might not like some of the answers he’s finding. It’s a tough spot to be in. You can say he put himself in it, and he did, but I’m sure he thought things would be a lot more positive than they have become.

In the past 24 years, you can count on one hand the number of times he’s directly attacked a reporter like that, vs the likely hundreds of times he didn’t like the questions asked. To me, this is a sign of how frustrated he is with the season.

His brother is a sports writer. I doubt Kirk believes journalists are lesser in the way he said yesterday. The pressure is getting to him and he slipped up. Forgiven.

***EDIT***
I confused Fran’s brother for Kirk’s brother in referencing he was a sport’s writer.

Last edited:
I had hoped to join the zoom call this morning, but practice lasted longer than anticipated. I wanted to take a moment to apologize for my comments during the news conference yesterday. I should not have been dismissive of one of your colleagues – his questions were fair. I have a high respect for the work that you do, and I am appreciative of how you cover our team. You ask tough and pointed questions but do so with a high degree of professionalism. I tell our players to take the high road and yesterday, I did not do the same thing.

I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.
Intervention from his PR firm. That's life.

His brother is a sports writer. I doubt Kirk believes journalists are lesser in the way he said yesterday. The pressure is getting to him and he slipped up. Forgiven.
Kirk's brother is a sports reporter? This is the first I am hearing of this. I know Frans brother is...

Dude, it should have been a non-issue but it came off distasteful and the guy sacked up and acknowledged it. Don't be that guy. They are not a good football team this year, KF is all thumbs when it comes to coaching passing the football and always has been, he is and always has been a good dude.
Sorry....but I'm not buying AT ALL that he did this on his own. And I think more people are seeing EVERY DAY, that he is NOT the good dude that you still believe him to be....the guy has some major issues.

So is it the tone it was said in, or the tone he took it in?

He apologized on Hawk talk tonight. Didn't sit well with me. We have a huge problem folks. It might need to be fixed with a huge buyout. He is awful. Just awful. Completely out of touch.
Sounds like there is an AD that enabled that situation. Bump Elliott he is not.

Reactions: CarterHall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT