ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz issues apology for comments on Tuesday

It's pretty clear that what he was confronted with on Saturday had him internally fuming to the point where he held onto it for three days. He's not used to being called out by media.
He’s just very lucky to be at Iowa where up until about two weeks a go the media tippy toed around the tough questions that needed to be asked. The BF OC decision has been a complete fiasco and Kirk doesn’t want to take ownership or make the necessary change. Throw in Barta who seems to be getting a hall pass for his major role in this mess.

This is where I’m totally all over the place. I’ve been very frustrated with the inability to see the need for change, particularly at QB but possibly with the OL as well. And the inability to proactively address WR. But dam it, I truly think KF is a helluva person and genuine as you can get when it’s not something he feels he needs to be guarded about (the team). Classic case of “hate the addiction, love the person” imo. In this case his unhealthy habit is his desire to not change - but I think it’s situations like this or when he hugs/cries with players after a hard fought game - you know he loves the program and tries to do what is right.

Doesn’t absolve him outright, and there’s work/change to be done, but certainly reminds me (and many of us) why we’ve loved the guy as our coach.
Dang great post Shonn!!!

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I am sure glad you are grateful for the poster asking. Are you still living on Petras island?
Yep, plenty of room here if you want to stop by and visit. Thanks for listening to the pod. I'll be sure and shout you out tonight when we record the new one.

Reactions: Hawkman34
Dude, it should have been a non-issue but it came off distasteful and the guy sacked up and acknowledged it. Don't be that guy. They are not a good football team this year, KF is all thumbs when it comes to coaching passing the football and always has been, he is and always has been a good dude.
If only 1/3 of your football team is bad, does that make you "not a good football team"?............

It's just that I've seen through this guy for 15+ years...I can read him like a book. If he truly was a great guy, I wouldn't be such a dick towards him....but he's not a great guy....he's a tool.
Can Iowa win a national championship in football?

(take the coach out of your answer)

reeses-not-sorry.gif

This is starting to look like the beginning of the end.

You can't minimize what he's been to Hawkeye football, but it certainly seems like this is all heading in the wrong direction.

The optics are really bad right now.
This is pretty much the situation.

Nobody can deny this down year is different.

That’s truly is a I’m sorry but not sorry. He said exactly how he felt on Tuesday. The PR firm obviously stepped in to help correct this problem. If he looks down on a sports writer for asking the question I would like asked.

What would he say or think about a question of the same tone coming from me. A truck driver. “Could be worse,—I could be that guy.” F$&@ Kirk and his bullshit apology.

Interesting that Kirk apologized and then immediately said he didn’t like the reporters tone when asking the questions. What he meant to say is he didn’t appreciate him dismissing his son. Everybody should bow before the king. F**k him.
I immediately took KF's shot at the reporter's profession was because he is so defensive about his Brian disaster and takes any criticism that way completely personally, which of course it has to be by definition.

That's what you get when you use your power to elevate family members into the public eye. KF has certainly seen all the shots taken at KOK and GDGD over the years. I don't see how he couldn't have anticipated the same and worse for putting Brian out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: drew_hawk
It's pretty clear that what he was confronted with on Saturday had him internally fuming to the point where he held onto it for three days. He's not used to being called out by media.
Well the Iowa media knows who their daddy is. Most guys remember when they tried to step to their dad as a teen. I can’t blame the reporters for not wanting to get their asses handed to them by KF.

This is where I’m totally all over the place. I’ve been very frustrated with the inability to see the need for change, particularly at QB but possibly with the OL as well. And the inability to proactively address WR. But dam it, I truly think KF is a helluva person and genuine as you can get when it’s not something he feels he needs to be guarded about (the team). Classic case of “hate the addiction, love the person” imo. In this case his unhealthy habit is his desire to not change - but I think it’s situations like this or when he hugs/cries with players after a hard fought game - you know he loves the program and tries to do what is right.

Doesn’t absolve him outright, and there’s work/change to be done, but certainly reminds me (and many of us) why we’ve loved the guy as our coach.
I agree to a point. You don't really believe that hiring his son for a position he was totally unqualified for was in the best interest of the Iowa Football program, do you?

I agree to a point. You don't really believe that hiring his son for a position he was totally unqualified for was in the best interest of the Iowa Football program, do you?
I disagree that he wasn’t totally qualified for the job. I don’t know exactly what the general consensus is for qualifications to be an OC are, but:

actually played football at a level above high school? Check

previous coaching experience at the college level? Check

previous coaching experience at the NFL level? Check

Shares offensive philosophy that head coach wants to employ? Check

now it’s been a total disaster, but that doesn’t mean BF wasn’t qualified.

He said something stupid, and he apologized. Nothing more to said about it.

If you want to be pissed at KF, be pissed about the offensive performance this season.
I know I said there wasn’t anything else to be said about the incident, but then it also dawned on me that that this is the second time in 10 months that Kirk has had to make a public apology of some sort for something he said during a press conference. Not sure what to make of that, but it seems notable.

I know I said there wasn’t anything else to be said about the incident, but then it also dawned on me that that this is the second time in 10 months that Kirk has had to make a public apology of some sort for something he said during a press conference. Not sure what to make of that, but it seems notable.
To be fair he didn’t have to make an apology, he chose to make one.. this whole thing seems stupid. people want the Iowa media to nut-up and ask tough questions and be confrontational, and I guess Kirk is just supposed to stand up there and get pantsed by a bunch of clowns who have never played a down of elite level big ten or NFL football? Who don’t spend hours watching film, game planning, teaching techniques, and spend 365 days a year managing 100 college aged males and trying to keep them from doing something stupid like they did when they were in college.

Last edited:
It's just that I've seen through this guy for 15+ years...I can read him like a book. If he truly was a great guy, I wouldn't be such a dick towards him....but he's not a great guy....he's a tool.
I just cannot relate to this. Why would you follow a team that has had a leader you feel this way about? I’m really annoyed by all this crap this season, but I could never stick around for 15 years. I mean - pretty soon your anger towards Kirk will be able to drive

I pretty much walked away from the basketball team after a couple years of Lickliter. Why haven’t you done the same here?

Last edited:
I disagree that he wasn’t totally qualified for the job. I don’t know exactly what the general consensus is for qualifications to be an OC are, but:

actually played football at a level above high school? Check

previous coaching experience at the college level? Check

previous coaching experience at the NFL level? Check

Shares offensive philosophy that head coach wants to employ? Check

now it’s been a total disaster, but that doesn’t mean BF wasn’t qualified.
He was 34 and had been a position coach for his dad and one of his dad's best buds. Lol.

you'll notice he has NOT apologized to the actual reporter.

the written statement was addressed to the Iowa media corp and how grateful he is to have them covering the team (draw your own conclusions on what that implies).

the apology in the broadcast interview was directed towards his team for 'deviating' from the high road when asked difficult questions. he has yet to apologize to the guy he insulted.

reminds me of this: rum raisin

I immediately took KF's shot at the reporter's profession was because he is so defensive about his Brian disaster and takes any criticism that way completely personally, which of course it has to be by definition.

That's what you get when you use your power to elevate family members into the public eye. KF has certainly seen all the shots taken at KOK and GDGD over the years. I don't see how he couldn't have anticipated the same and worse for putting Brian out there.
Very well put, and therein lies the problem with hiring unqualified family members. Nepotism often breeds decline in the long run, and this is only exacerbated when the paterfamilias seeks to justify, defend, and shelter the failures of his brood - "We're better than you so your opinion doesn't matter", "Well we won ten games last year", "We won't evaluate until after the season is over"

you'll notice he has NOT apologized to the actual reporter.

the written statement was addressed to the Iowa media corp and how grateful he is to have them covering the team (draw your own conclusions on what that implies).

the apology in the broadcast interview was directed towards his team for 'deviating' from the high road when asked difficult questions. he has yet to apologize to the guy he insulted.

reminds me of this: rum raisin
Oh poor media reporter…

Very well put, and therein lies the problem with hiring unqualified family members. Nepotism often breeds decline in the long run, and this is only exacerbated when the paterfamilias seeks to justify, defend, and shelter the failures of his brood - "We're better than you so your opinion doesn't matter", "Well we won ten games last year", "We won't evaluate until after the season is over"
This is a hindsight argument though… had this worked to the best offenses of the KF era, and Iowa won 10 games last year nobody would be crying about nepotism.

Reactions: cmhawks99
This is a hindsight argument though… had this worked to the best offenses of the KF era, and Iowa won 10 games last year nobody would be crying about nepotism.
Sure, but wouldn't you say that most evaluations occur via hindsight? That is where the evidence exists as to what actually happened. How do you evaluate the future before it happens?

Reactions: CookyMonster
I just cannot relate to this. Why would you follow a team that has had a leader you feel this way about? I’m really annoyed by all this crap this season, but I could never stick around for 15 years. I mean - pretty soon your anger towards Kirk will be able to drive

I pretty much walked away from the basketball team after a couple years of Lickliter. Why haven’t you done the same here?

i have never heard of a single moment where in person he’s truly been a dick to someone.

in a rough year, he got pushed by a reporter, didnt appreciate that, and lashed out about it. A day later he issued a public apology. Let’s move on.

Sure, but wouldn't you say that most evaluations occur via hindsight? That is where the evidence exists as to what actually happened. How do you evaluate the future before it happens?
It’s one thing to evaluate the performance of the offense it’s another to say the offense isn’t good because his last name is Ferentz.

Reactions: sober_teacher
He should be given the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure he’s frustrated and searching for answers. And he might not like some of the answers he’s finding. It’s a tough spot to be in.
Wow. It's amazing the empathy some people claim to have for a multimillion-dollar football coach. Maybe you should save some of that for people who actually deserve it, like election officials and their families who have been threatened with torture and death because they simply did their jobs and prevented a treasonous "president" from pulling off a coup. And there are hundreds of others in line well ahead of poor Kirk Ferentz. Iowa football is just plain bullshit, and Kirk Ferentz needs to resign or be fired yesterday.

BTW: Gary Barta and KF did, as you suggested, create this situation, so it's completely incredible that some people feel sorry for Ferentz. Just incredible. Recruit a mobile QB. Get some wide receivers and throw them the ball. Hire an actual OC and QB coach. Find some O-linemen in the portal and find a coach who knows what to do with them. And throw out the entire offense and join the 21st century. KF could have done all of those things before this season began. Instead, he didn't do a SINGLE one. Pathetic. And yet you and others make excuses for him and feel sorry for him . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT