ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Loyalists, Let This Sink In...

Where are you getting unanimous top 20 coach? That's laughable.

My preferred next coach would be anyone not named Ferentz.

Also, I'm joining what I would assume is a very long list of posters blocking you. Enough with the tough guy act and instigating message board fights, it's pathetic and no one cares.
Thanks Jamie.

I like KF. I really like his staff he has assembled over the years Some won't realize until coach retires and suddenly everyone cherry picks the staff and then the cupboard is bare. One of reasons we win is team balance in all phases of the game. Defense scores, special teams scores, and offense scores . We have a great team every 10 years but good teams almost every year. For a state of only 3 million people pretty dam good in my book. Joe Paterno once said he voted for KF for coach of the year because Penn State campus had a 100 million people within 100 miles of campus. You are what you make of it!

Reactions: F5n5
Where are you getting unanimous top 20 coach? That's laughable.

Also, I'm joining what I would assume is a very long list of posters blocking you. Enough with the tough guy act and instigating message board fights, it's pathetic and no one cares.
The links I provided, from major sporting sites that rank coaches. Find me all the ones that have him lower.

Man, I hope you didn't pull something sidestepping that one. You know you have a great position when you have to pull that one out.

That's one way to take your ball and go home. I'd be pretty embarrassed to ever have to announce I'm blocking someone on a message board. At least there's quite a few other posters that will still be calling you a dumbass.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
To be clear, you're saying all-time?

I'm not confident he beats Alvarez to make top 50 on this list.

Top 50 per Bleacher

I rarely look at all-time lists - the difference between eras is simply too great. The evolution of offensive and defensive innovations, lowering the cap on scholarship limit to 85 in the '80s, etc. I do think Kirk and Barry are pretty comparable - KF won the bulk of their meetings in the '00s before Barry retired.

Kirk is definitely top 20 currently in all of college football, and I'd argue for top 20 in B10 coaches all time, as much as I hate those lists.

This thread cracks me up. Whole Lotta back patting for a guy who is going to finish 3rd in the division, again.
This is how Ferentz has lasted 20+ years at Iowa. Average seasons (3 non conference wins and 4/5 conference wins)....and a 9 or 10 win season here and there. Plenty of fans are perfectly fine with that. I would be too if there were more BIG championship appearances.

That's honestly my only complaint. Iowa does just enough to keep the fans happy without taking that next step which I wish we could do more often. At least 1 BIG championship appearance in 3 years. I don't think that's unreasonable. Your basically battling NW and Wisconsin every year....which we cant win

I am all in for Kirk leaving, mediocre coach, mediocre scheme, approaches everything as a committee when we need our best players to get touches. The times have passed him by, and frankly why waste an ounce of your stamina on an average coach, there is no reason Iowa shouldn't be at Wisconsin level. BF is a brain fart of a OC. PP knew the one guy we couldnt let be the reason we lose and here we are. What we clutching on to? What? Resign otherwise he is dragging this program into the dirt with him. Selfish.
So much stupid in all this. You should never be allowed to use a computer past your 8:00 bedtime. Your mommy know your are this dumb snowflake?

3rd in the division again, HIGH FIVES ALL AROUND!

NW has the best coach in the division, wiscy has the best program in the division and Purdont has beat us more times with thier new coach than lost. Iowa under KF is 3rd (+1/-1) in the west program. Im happy the team didn't implode after week 2 but you guys thinking this is the crow eating-gotchafest of 2020 need to have some perspective.
Was he also the best last year? Serious question. Or is it that he got a transfer QB?

Everyone complaining about the 3-2 year after losing the first 2 games by combined 5 pts. with a first year starting QB, with covid situations, and with the offseason noise. With winning the next 3 games by a combined score of 125- 35....... you are all morons or just cyclone fans in disguise. seriously..... could we be playing better? yes of course! Are we getting better? yes of course! Turnovers killed us the first 2 games. That is the difference between 5-0 and 3-2, not coaching.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1 and F5n5
Was he also the best last year? Serious question. Or is it that he got a transfer QB?

Idk if Fitz is the best coach in the division/league either. He is very good at, like Kirk, developing fundamentally sound teams that don't beat themselves. Last year, his QB play made one jealous of Rutgers and they suffered as a result. This year, Peyton Ramsey is doing just enough and then the defense does the rest.

Everyone complaining about the 3-2 year after losing the first 2 games by combined 5 pts. with a first year starting QB, with covid situations, and with the offseason noise. With winning the next 3 games by a combined score of 125- 35....... you are all morons or just cyclone fans in disguise. seriously..... could we be playing better? yes of course! Are we getting better? yes of course! Turnovers killed us the first 2 games. That is the difference between 5-0 and 3-2, not coaching.

I tried very hard to keep expectations realistic this year. No spring ball, all the offseason stuff, the aborted fall camp, then spring to restart the season...I didn't have any idea what to expect from the Hawks this year. It has been encouraging however to see the Hawks rally after the rough start though, and if nothing else, gives me optimism about next year, when (hopefully) the world again becomes sane.

Yes he was. Just like the year before that. They got decimated by injuries and were not a good team. He is the only coach in the west the consistently beats Wisconsin and does it in a way more difficult situation. "Cordell jones" isn't getting into NW.

Yes he was. Just like the year before that. They got decimated by injuries and were not a good team. He is the only coach in the west the consistently beats Wisconsin and does it in a way more difficult situation. "Cordell jones" isn't getting into NW.
Can you link the entrance and eligibility requirements for student athletes at Northwestern?

1) Much respect for Pat Fitzgerald. I've said for years the guy is a great coach that doesn't get near the respect he deserves.

2) Since nobody else can apparently run some simple numbers, I figured I'd try to compare the two coaches. I highlighted the winner of each category. I tired to go by average per season coached to make it comparable.

Ferentz
165-106 = .608
100-77 = .565
Big 10 conference titles = 2 = 9.5%

West Titles = 1 = 16.6%
9-8 Bowl games = 0.529
Average finish in B1G West = 2.16 (4,1,2,3,2,3)
Average finish in B1G Legends = 3.66 (4,5,2)
Average finish before divisions = 4.58 (11,8,4,1,4,1,3,8,5,4,2,4)
Seasons with Bowl appearance = 17/21 = 81.0%
Finished ranked 4 seasons = 38.1%
Finished AP Top 10 4 times = 19.0%
10+ win seasons = 6 = 28.6%
B1G Coach of the Year = 4 = 19.0%
NCAA Coach of the Year = 1 = 4.8%

Head to Head = 6-9

Fitzgerald
104-79 = .568
62-59 = .512
Big 10 conference titles = 0 = 0%
West Titles = 1 = 16.6% ***
4-5 Bowl games = 0.444
Average finish in B1G West = 3.66 (6,2,4,2,1,7)
Average finish in B1G Legends = 4.66 (5,3,6)
Average finish before divisions = 6 (8,7,4,4,7)
Seasons with Bowl appearance = 9/14 = 64.3%
Finished ranked 8 seasons = 28.6%
Finished AP Top 10 0 times = 0%
10+ win seasons = 3 = 21.4%
B1G Coach of the Year = 1 = 7.1%
NCAA Coach of the Year = 0 = 0%
Head to Head = 9-6
*** Currently in the lead for B1G West

At least Pat has that head to head I guess.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Pawkhawk1 and F5n5
Can you link the entrance and eligibility requirements for student athletes at Northwestern?
tenor.gif

1) Much respect for Pat Fitzgerald. I've said for years the guy is a great coach that doesn't get near the respect he deserves.

2) Since nobody else can apparently run some simple numbers, I figured I'd try to compare the two coaches. I highlighted the winner of each category. I tired to go by average per season coached to make it comparable.

Ferentz
165-106 = .608
100-77 = .565
Big 10 conference titles = 2 = 9.5%

West Titles = 1 = 16.6%
9-8 Bowl games = 0.529
Average finish in B1G West = 2.16 (4,1,2,3,2,3)
Average finish in B1G Legends = 3.66 (4,5,2)
Average finish before divisions = 4.58 (11,8,4,1,4,1,3,8,5,4,2,4)
Seasons with Bowl appearance = 17/21 = 80.1%
Finished ranked 4 seasons = 38.1%
Finished AP Top 10 4 times = 19.0%
10+ win seasons = 6 = 28.6%
B1G Coach of the Year = 4 = 19.0%
NCAA Coach of the Year = 1 = 4.8%

Head to Head = 6-9

Fitzgerald
104-79 = .568
62-59 = .512
Big 10 conference titles = 0 = 0%
West Titles = 1 = 16.6% ***
4-5 Bowl games = 0.444
Average finish in B1G West = 3.66 (6,2,4,2,1,7)
Average finish in B1G Legends = 4.66 (5,3,6)
Average finish before divisions = 6 (8,7,4,4,7)
Seasons with Bowl appearance = 9/14 = 64.3%
Finished ranked 8 seasons = 28.6%
Finished AP Top 10 0 times = 0%
10+ win seasons = 3 = 21.4%
B1G Coach of the Year = 1 = 7.1%
NCAA Coach of the Year = 0 = 0%
Head to Head = 9-6
*** Currently in the lead for B1G West

At least Pat has that head to head I guess.....
I love math! Thank you NorthDSMhawk!

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
It's going to suck as a fan after he leaves and we turn into Illinois or Nebraska, just hoping for a winning season once in a while.

Still might be worth it to see how the dipshits here react when they get their wish and the typical 8-5 season turns into a 4-8 one and we start rolling through coaches every 3 years trying to find "the guy".

If you and all our other experts here want to go ahead and give us your list of sure thing coaches that would be great. I remember quite a few of the names toss around back in 2014 and it's great to see where they're all at right now.

TIA.
Nostradamus, back for a 2nd go around? LOL!

Well, we can scour the earth for a "surefire guy" with Iowa ties and leading a powerhouse program like the Maine Black Bears to a 12-21 record as our next hire, and see what happens.......

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT