ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz post game presser transcript

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Have to type these up on our own when we are on the road. Got late last night, so typed it up this morning.It will be over a couple of posts because of our character limit.

Opening Statement

This was very rewarding and it was a very difficult and challenging week for everyone, on top of a very important next chapter for our football team. I told the football team last night that we would have to earn this because coming in here we knew it would be a very tough environment against a good football team and a well coached football team. I am really proud of our guys for the way they hung in there.

As we look forward, if we are going to be competitive in November, like we want to be, you have to find a way to win games like this, and there was nothing easy about today’s ball game. From our standpoint, I think our guys did a great job of preparing this week and I am pleased with that. It starts with that. We weathered a lot of tough periods today during the course of the game, a lot of ebb and flow, and obviously we made some critical plays under difficult circumstances, some precision type plays. Then flipping it over defensively, we anchored it down in the second half and it looked a lot better. I am happy about that and probably just as happy about the way the team closed it out at the end of the game. Again, it was very difficult circumstances for us. Tough opponent, tough place to play, and we are happy to get out of here with the victory. Really proud of our guys, proud of their growth. We will enjoy this tonight and get back to work tomorrow.

Q: Were you surprised your team did The Swarm over to the trophy and did you know that was coming?

FERENTZ: I really didn’t. I don’t know if they got together on that one, but that is part of what they do, I guess. They are staying together.

Q: What about Beathard’s play today?

FERENTZ: C.J. made some great plays with his feet. He made some precision throws. I just told Gary Dolphin, I think the thing I was most impressed by was him keeping his poise. When you talk to him or see him on the sideline, he never looks any different. He doesn’t get rattled and it would have been easy to get rattled today. I have seen quarterbacks get rattled in there that were on our team. We are really proud of what he did. I thought he grew up during the course of the game.

Q: It seemed like early on he was off target a bit. Was that just getting adjusted to the game?

FERENTZ: Yeah. They played good defense and played a heck of a first half. It was a pretty one-sided first half in a lot of areas. That is part of the game. You just play the full sixty and he obviously settled down and made some precision throws. That throw to Tevaun in the first half was pretty good too.

Q: What type of adjustments did you make in the second half to play better defense?

FERENTZ: I wish we could take credit for a halftime speech or adjustments, but it is really about our players on the field and I have seen that happen to us before. In the first half that ball was going up and down. I don’t know what the stats were, but it seemed one-sided. In the second half we played really good defense. We took away the run and made them a little bit left handed, which helps out a bit.

Q: Jaleel Johnson really came to play in the second half.

FERENTZ: Yeah, this is two straight weeks. As I mentioned last week, everyone wanted to talk about our offensive tackles, but I was worried about those defensive tackles too. Jaleel seems like he’s doing a really good job. I am anxious to see the film. He has worked hard in practice and that is kind of reflective of our football team. He has prepared hard and worked hard and clearly some good things are happening for him out on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News