ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz: Top Coach on the List

Good to see an outside party point out what some in the Black and Gold camp have trouble believing.

I used to think this national media was what it would take to turn the tables but it trully is about the $ and the powers to be dont need an outside opinion, they see it, they just need the number to be low enough to eat at the end of the day. (Then again who knows)

The list was on SVP and Russillo. 1st thing they said was it was very predictable that Ferentz would top the list. His salary is based on 4 or 5 good seasons. Also said he would of been fired by now if it wasn't for his buyout. It was mentioned that when he signed the contract he was in the top 5 highest paid coaches and he still is in the top 10.

This post was edited on 3/26 1:32 PM by grosie#2

This post was edited on 3/26 1:32 PM by grosie#2

I honestly don't blame Barta at all for what he did. Coming off of that 2009 trip to the Orange Bowl coupled with Ferentz giving Iowa fans the greatest decade of Iowa football, it made complete sense to lock him in for the long run. Ferentz just hasn't performed over the course of the last 5-6 years for whatever reason. I am not sure if he can turn it around for Ferentz 3.0 or not but the contract was not a bad thing at the time. We had to deal with the constant NFL and Penn State rumors and Barta was able to squash those with the contract. I think Ferentz didn't pay Norm Parker enough money and it's obvious that he was a defensive guru that is sorely missed. The Greg Davis hire was the worst thing that he could have possibly done. I see that as the fork in the road. Ferentz could have taken us somewhere interesting but he decided to hire a guy from the old guard and I just don't think that the two philosophies mesh well. You either need to be a spread team or you need to be a power run team. They don't work together and it's been one hell of an ugly marriage. Just my two cents.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:16 PM by Hawks2405

Originally posted by Hawks2405:

I honestly don't blame Barta at all for what he did. Coming off of that 2009 trip to the Orange Bowl coupled with Ferentz giving Iowa fans the greatest decade of Iowa football, it made complete sense to lock him in for the long run. Ferentz just hasn't performed over the course of the last 5-6 years for whatever reason. I am not sure if he can turn it around for Ferentz 3.0 or not but the contract was not a bad thing at the time. We had to deal with the constant NFL and Penn State rumors and Barta was able to squash those with the contract. I think Ferentz didn't pay Norm Parker enough money and it's obvious that he was a defensive guru that is sorely missed. The Greg Davis hire was the worst thing that he could have possibly done. I see that as the fork in the road. Ferentz could have taken us somewhere interesting but he decided to hire a guy from the old guard and I just don't think that the two philosophies mesh well. You either need to be a spread team or you need to be a power run team. They don't work together and it's been one hell of an ugly marriage. Just my two cents.

Completely agree. I'm not a fan of the buyout, but it hasn't been what's stopped us from firing KF. He would still be here if there was no buyout. He has earned one more year. That is it.

Barta apparently disagrees with you. He said a couple of months ago that he'll never give another 10 year contract to any coach. I'm pretty sure he realizes he made a big mistake.

Big mistake? How about HUGE mistake? And I DO blame Barta, who at times seems out of his league as administrator of the University of Iowa athletic program. Yes, Ferentz is a class act but it takes more than that to deserve the big bucks he's being paid. BTW, I'm glad UI is willing to able and winning to pay him big bucks and I certainly hope they will continue paying big dollars to a suitable successor. Obviously, the next contract will need to much more carefully crafted (hopefully by someone more astute than Barta).

Originally posted by Taw Jackson:

Barta apparently disagrees with you. He said a couple of months ago that he'll never give another 10 year contract to any coach. I'm pretty sure he realizes he made a big mistake.
Giving Ferentz the money he did was not a mistake, but the length of the contract was a mistake.

Meh, being an Iowa fan is s funny thing. Hindsight is 20/20 as it looks like a terrible contract now but had Ferentz left for say Michigan or Penn State when he was the hottest coaching commodity in football then we would all loathe Gary Barta and he would be the worst AD in the history of college football because he let Ferentz get away. I truly believe that Ferentz is hamstrung by recruiting. If that guy had the access to high profile recruits then he would be as good as Saban. His o-lines with 4 and 5 star guys would just crush people. I get frustrated and upset with Ferentz as much as the next guy but I'm honestly not sure who would do a better job and we would need to make a really good choice if you buy his contract out and fire him because it wouldn't take much for us to sink down to the bottom of the barrel. I'm not sure what the answer is anymore. Maybe we should really relish 7-5 seasons because that might be as good as it gets for us.

Originally posted by Mohawkeye:

Completely agree. I'm not a fan of the buyout, but it hasn't been what's stopped us from firing KF. He would still be here if there was no buyout. He has earned one more year. That is it.
I think he's "earned" the right to get canned. Like the contract or don't like the contract, Kirk hasn't lived up to it from a winning Football Games perspective, which is typically why the "great" Coaches receive the big contracts.

His handling of the QB position alone should have got him canned years ago. If you're going to do ONE THING right, play the correct QB. He clearly has a history of not being able to determine who that person is. That's a fireable offense in and of itself as far as I'm concerned.

I can see why you maybe over pay a coach at a school like Iowa so you don't have a dilemma at Wisconsin where Bielema leaves for more $ among other things to take the Arkansas job. It's the length and buyout that made it so bad. Barta over reacted a little too much after the Orange Bowl.

I think too one pretty bad contract/extension KF overshadows is Rhoads at ISU. Guy got a 10yr $20million contract extension after the OSU upset. Since then he hasn't done anything but spiral downwards.

Meh, being an Iowa fan is s funny thing. Hindsight is 20/20 as it looks like a terrible contract now but had Ferentz left for say Michigan or Penn State when he was the hottest coaching commodity in football then we would all loathe Gary Barta and he would be the worst AD in the history of college football because he let Ferentz get away. I truly believe that Ferentz is hamstrung by recruiting. If that guy had the access to high profile recruits then he would be as good as Saban. His o-lines with 4 and 5 star guys would just crush people. I get frustrated and upset with Ferentz as much as the next guy but I'm honestly not sure who would do a better job and we would need to make a really good choice if you buy his contract out and fire him because it wouldn't take much for us to sink down to the bottom of the barrel. I'm not sure what the answer is anymore. Maybe we should really relish 7-5 seasons because that might be as good as it gets for us.

You really want to anoint him Saban? Wow, guy has WON 4 national championships at two different schools.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:
I can see why you maybe over pay a coach at a school like Iowa so you don't have a dilemma at Wisconsin where Bielema leaves for more $ among other things to take the Arkansas job. It's the length and buyout that made it so bad. Barta over reacted a little too much after the Orange Bowl.

I think too one pretty bad contract/extension KF overshadows is Rhoads at ISU. Guy got a 10yr $20million contract extension after the OSU upset. Since then he hasn't done anything but spiral downwards.
And beat us, twice.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Barta is the far bigger disgrace to the university; he just isn't as well known as KF by anyone outside of the fan base.

The thing is that the "luster" was already off KF even after the 2009 season. 2005-7 took care of that. He wasn't the relatively young "hot" commodity he was in 2003/4. What I mean by that is the demand for him in 2004 was much greater than in 2009. Barta didn't NEED to hand out that monster contract to keep him.

Have to give KF and his agent credit...they bent Barta over and he took it. It's not KF's fault he has this golden contract...it's Barta's. KF did what anybody else would do....negotiated for the best deal. Barta's job was to negotiate it down to a reasonable amount/length...he didn't.

The only thing that has saved Ferentz the past few years is an extremely soft schedule. Iowa hasnt beaten a ranked opponent since 2011 against Michigan. 3 years since this program has defeated a ranked opponent.

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
The only thing that has saved Ferentz the past few years is an extremely soft schedule. Iowa hasnt beaten a ranked opponent since 2011 against Michigan. 3 years since this program has defeated a ranked opponent.
I know it was bandied about in the post-season and I'm too lazy to look it up, but how long has it been since we've beaten a Division 1 school with a winning record?

Originally posted by LarryMullenJr.:

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
I know it was bandied about in the post-season and I'm too lazy to look it up, but how long has it been since we've beaten a Division 1 school with a winning record?
I believe it would be Nebraska in the 2013 season (although technically UNI in 2014, as they are D1 - FCS, but I know what you are saying). It's been a while.

After BB and Wisky faked out KF and the staff at Iowa City...things are different...we have a below average program with a burned out but wealthy coach.

Coaching energy is needed to get better...the fans get excuses and rationalizations...

Originally posted by revkev73:
After BB and Wisky faked out KF and the staff at Iowa City...things are different...we have a below average program with a burned out but wealthy coach.

Coaching energy is needed to get better...the fans get excuses and rationalizations...
I completely agree with that assessment. Ever since that fake punt things have been different. Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT