ADVERTISEMENT

Fetterman and Walker show perfectly just how f'd up things are in American politics...

Oh, she's deplorable human trash that is about as polar opposite on every major issue as I can get.

But I don't think she's mentally handicapped or deficient due to age / medical issue / etc. Actually, I think she's smarter than most of her (hopefully former) constituents.
I think you must not have been exposed to a lot of her speeches.

What do you have against The Backstreet Boys?
backstreet boys GIF

My critique is that you don't get to be mad when someone votes for the other side in a 2 party system when your side is a joke as well. The two party primary system is what has broken politics in America. You have to elect the most extreme version of your candidates because that's who the extremists who pack primaries select, then the sane part of America is left with voting for the nonsense left over. I would like to see us look at different forms of voting which could allow us to move away from these forms of elections. Maybe ranked voting would help.
I agree. Two party system is polarizing.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I'm not sure what makes you think Fetterman isn't able to effectively serve as a US Senator. He will continue to improve and in less than a year the stroke symptoms will be a non-issue as they will be increasingly less noticeable. He did fine in his debate last week. I made a lot of money over the last 20 years speaking in front of groups and I couldn't perform anywhere near as well as he did in that debate.
TC, I'm worried about you.

I agree.

What does that say about voters who choose to elect a vegetable to the United States Senate.....where he will be voting on critical legislation that will effect this country for decades! The fate of our nation could come down to a man who can't string 2 coherent sentences together. Are the American people actually becoming this stupid? My God.....do they ever CARE what happens?

Party over country, indeed.

And if you vote for a 3rd party candidate you are garbage for letting the other side win.

And if he was talking about Walker...

Do you have the same critique?
Has Walker actually been diagnosed with onset CTE or are you making an assumption? Regardless, I am not aware of successful treatments to reverse or cure it. Please point me in the right direction.

I agree.

What does that say about voters who choose to elect a vegetable to the United States Senate.....where he will be voting on critical legislation that will effect this country for decades! The fate of our nation could come down to a man who can't string 2 coherent sentences together. Are the American people actually becoming this stupid? My God.....do they ever CARE what happens?

Well, we elected the last two presidents when they can't put together coherent sentences, so why should we be surprised we'd elect senators who can't do the same?

You don't know enough about his actual medical situation and you certainly can't tell the future in regards to his recovery. You WANT him to be OK because he's a Dem and you HOPE he can perform, but you can't guarantee it. I'm not going to argue your situation (congrats) or what you think may happen because it's all conjecture and everyone's case is different.

Look, I like the guy. I think he has a hell of a background and fight for what's right in politics. Of course I want the dems to hold on to keep balance against MAGA. And yes, I realize people can have a condition after they're in office. But I really struggle getting behind voting for people who we know going INTO office have a big hurdle to overcome. You seem willing to roll the dice...and that's fine. I think it's not a good standard going forward.
The point you are missing is that it was either him or Walker. How can you argue that he is not better than Walker?

The point you are missing is that it was either him or Walker. How can you argue that he is not better than Walker?

Actual it was Dr. Oz…but that’s exactly the point. I’m not faulting people that voted for Fetterman because yes, Oz SUCKS! My point is, we’ve gotten to the point where the mentally impacted people (whether through age, medical reasons, etc.) are being shoved into positions in govt. because the party winning is so important we - as voters - justify it to ourselves it’s something we had to do to protect our goals for the government.

I said to someone earlier that they were arguing the result - the ends justified the means to get your person and therefore your party in power regardless of their current state. I’m lamenting how we’re getting there with people who we don’t just disagree with, but are actually struggling with mental challenges due to age, medical, etc. And we can hope all we want that the candidate we’re pulling for comes through just like grandma did…but I’d prefer we have two capable, full faculty candidates in races in the future.

It’s nuanced because it’s not really a desire for a particular party or an individual.

Reactions: Finance85
It's insane that we literally had two Senate candidates in battleground states who have a history of threatening someone with a gun. What is this, 1875? Just bonkers to think about.

The guy consistently wins and you continue to buy into the right wing talking points that he is a vegetable. You're proof that no matter how many times you get your ass handed to you, some people just never learn.
I say just watch the guy walk 10 steps. Does he look like a president or a guy from the local care center out for a walk? And you wonder why Russia, North Korea, and China are salivating about making a move or have already.

Good Lord there is no comparison between AOC and MTG. Don’t buy into the right wing propaganda machine so easily.

Politically, morally, behaviorally, trashily, deplorably, disgustingly, awfully, etc. comparable? God no. It’s not even close.

Do either of them have a mental incapacity brought on by a medical condition, age, etc. situation?

Answer truthfully rather than with your head instead of your heart. If you answered yes, then what is the condition the person you think is impaired has? If you answered no, then you’re not getting my point.

Reactions: Finance85
Actual it was Dr. Oz…but that’s exactly the point. I’m not faulting people that voted for Fetterman because yes, Oz SUCKS! My point is, we’ve gotten to the point where the mentally impacted people (whether through age, medical reasons, etc.) are being shoved into positions in govt. because the party winning is so important we - as voters - justify it to ourselves it’s something we had to do to protect our goals for the government.

I said to someone earlier that they were arguing the result - the ends justified the means to get your person and therefore your party in power regardless of their current state. I’m lamenting how we’re getting there with people who we don’t just disagree with, but are actually struggling with mental challenges due to age, medical, etc. And we can hope all we want that the candidate we’re pulling for comes through just like grandma did…but I’d prefer we have two capable, full faculty candidates in races in the future.

It’s nuanced because it’s not really a desire for a particular party or an individual.
This is nothing new. People who were dead have won elections before because people would rather vote for a dead man than the opponent.

Politically, morally, behaviorally, trashily, deplorably, disgustingly, awfully, etc. comparable? God no. It’s not even close.

Do either of them have a mental incapacity brought on by a medical condition, age, etc. situation?

Answer truthfully rather than with your head instead of your heart. If you answered yes, then what is the condition the person you think is impaired has? If you answered no, then you’re not getting my point.
I don’t care about your point, that’s why I only quoted what I responded to.

If your opening argument is comparing those two, you are an idiot.

Reactions: Hawki97
Anyone else get the sense that isuisshit makes a point to proudly compliment the work ethic of minorities he meets?

Reactions: Moral
Yes, this is a thread that includes politics because it includes politicians. But it isn't a thread about whose politics are right or wrong. Whether AOC or MTG are the worst thing to happen to our country since The Backstreet Boys. IMHO, the most stinging indictment of how low we've sunk is that so many people are raging about getting two people who are clearly not up to the task to hold a MAJOR role in our government a seat at the table. Purely for party purposes. At this point, it appears the public will vote for a potato* if it advances their causes or to own the other side. It's pretty sad that we'd be willing to send clearly incapable people (beyond disagreeing with their policies or the way they conduct themselves) to DC - but that's where we are.

*The potato reference is not to belittle Fetterman's recovery from a stroke or Walker's onset CTE. It is simply a metaphor for an inanimate object.
Yes. In both cases robot candidates for their respective teams

It's insane that we literally had two Senate candidates in battleground states who have a history of threatening someone with a gun. What is this, 1875? Just bonkers to think about.
More guns for everyone. Threatening with guns is the future you vote for. Enjoy

I agree.

Becoming? Lost me there…

(note: see the **** flags that have been ripping the last few years. I never considered myself an intellectual, but I kind of do now.)

Comparing Fetterman and Walker is comparing apples and oranges. There are plenty of reasons to call Walker's cognitive abilities (not to mention ethics) into question. Fetterman is recovering from the physical effects of a stroke that didn't affect his cognitive abilities. He's likely sharper than many of the fossils in the Senate, including the one that Iowa just re-elected by double digits. This is just another example of trying too hard to portray the problems of our politics in a "both sides are the same" fashion.

This. Fetterman can still think clearly and make good decisions. And likely will recover his speaking ability in time. Walker is an idiot and always will be.

I agree.

I hope you don’t live in Iowa and voted for Chuck Grassley.

I agree.

You're talking about Grassley, right?

Have you ever been on a social media site? I would be afraid for my family's safety and just the constant insulting. I can't imagine.

I think smart people can make good money elsewhere without all the shit that comes with politics. There's a reason people like Marjorie Taylor Greene, AOC, and others run for office. I don't think it's power. They have need that need for affirmation, for being popular imo.

is this board considered social media? If not, no, I haven’t been on social media for years. But, you make good points.

Reactions: srams21
As illustrated in the rapumentary Bulworth, the lobbyists and special interest groups will be lining your pockets probably to not do many of the things you wanted to do that got you involved in the first place. And you will need their money if you want to stay involved since we have unlimited money in politics.

Probably should have used an emoji for the lobbyist part as it is probably my single biggest issue with the government. Until lobbyist, special interest and conflict of interest are removed from Washington, I have zero faith.

ADVERTISEMENT