ADVERTISEMENT

Few Republicans Expected to Attend Ceremony Honoring Those Who Protected Democracy on January 6th

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
This tells me they know they are guilty in causing the attempted coup and insurrection. Nothing more exemplifies the current state of the GQP...

WASHINGTON (AP) — Such are the fractures in the country, between the political parties and inside the Republican Party itself, that one time-honored specialty of Washington — memorializing and coming together over national trauma — isn’t what it used to be.

Friday’s moment of silence at the Capitol to contemplate the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on it was expected to draw mostly Democrats.

At the White House, few Republicans were expected for a ceremony at which President Joe Biden will award Presidential Citizens Medals to a dozen state and local officials, election workers and police officers for their “exemplary deeds of service for their country or their fellow citizens” in upholding the results of the 2020 election and fighting back the Capitol mob.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Torg and fsu1jreed
FlyzAF2WIAEDag5

They’ll probably hold the speaker vote while all the Dems are at the ceremony.

I'm sure that's something they would try but I'm not sure they can do that. Until there is a new speaker elected the house is presided upon by the Clerk of the House who was appointed by Pelosi.

Since she is presiding over the house I believe that means she schedules the votes.

Also there are other reasons why that might not work. I don't think with the Dems all gone they have quorum. On top of that even if they have quorum and they did pull a fast one to elect McCarthy speaker I believe that the MAGA's would be super pissed, would file a motion to vacate the chair and the Dems also being super pissed about how it went down would vote with the MAGAs and McCarthy would only be speaker for like a day.

Reactions: NoleATL
This tells me they know they are guilty in causing the attempted coup and insurrection. Nothing more exemplifies the current state of the GQP...

WASHINGTON (AP) — Such are the fractures in the country, between the political parties and inside the Republican Party itself, that one time-honored specialty of Washington — memorializing and coming together over national trauma — isn’t what it used to be.

Friday’s moment of silence at the Capitol to contemplate the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on it was expected to draw mostly Democrats.

At the White House, few Republicans were expected for a ceremony at which President Joe Biden will award Presidential Citizens Medals to a dozen state and local officials, election workers and police officers for their “exemplary deeds of service for their country or their fellow citizens” in upholding the results of the 2020 election and fighting back the Capitol mob.

Never ever trust the cons to do the right thing, hell, they can't even vote a speaker in place without it being a crazy spectacle lasting days.

This would be much more powerful if it were all about those who acted to protect the capital and the people who worked in the capital rather than honoring people who weren't there (election workers, state officials...).

It has a strong political feel, so lack of Republican support isn't at all surprising.

This would be much more powerful if it were all about those who acted to protect the capital and the people who worked in the capital rather than honoring people who weren't there (election workers, state officials...).

It has a strong political feel, so lack of Republican support isn't at all surprising.
Are you actually claiming that the poll workers acted in a partisan manner? Hell, Republican state officials are being honored for protecting the voting process and refusing to bow to pressure from the WH.

Deflection day for the traitorous whores and enablers of what happened 2 years ago. They downplayed it before, during, and since.... no surprise the usual dipshits will be at it early and often today

Are you actually claiming that the poll workers acted in a partisan manner? Hell, Republican state officials are being honored for protecting the voting process and refusing to bow to pressure from the WH.
Are you even responding to my post? What a huge leap...

I'll clarify ONCE.

I'm saying if you made a January 6 ceremony about those who protected the capital on Jan 6 (were actually there) it would have a much stronger unifying feel.

As is, it's just a continuation of the narrative that "democracy is at stake," and has very little to do with those who did something valuable on Jan 6. That gives it the feel of political theater.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin

I'll clarify ONCE.

I'm saying if you made a January 6 ceremony about those who protected the capital on Jan 6 (were actually there) it would have a much stronger unifying feel.

As is, it's just a continuation of the narrative that "democracy is at stake," and has very little to do with those who did something valuable on Jan 6. That gives it the feel of political theater.
In other words, let’s limit the ceremony so Republicans don’t feel such shame and embarrassment about their role in what happened on Jan. 6?

The Republican Party is trash. I doubt I ever again vote for another Republican. And given the amount of idiocy I’ve read on this board in defense of the Trump/MAGA crap, I don’t want anything to do with any of them. Garbage humans and terrible people.

I'll clarify ONCE.

You’re missing the point. It is protecting democracy not just the capital. Protecting the capital was part of it. Honoring the electors that weren’t influenced is another part.

Reactions: BelemNole

I'll clarify ONCE.

LOL...let me clarify ONCE...from the OP:

You might have missed that part. Now exactly what about upholding the results of a free and fair election do you NOT find "unifying"?

Reactions: ironside1

I would substitute the word patriotic for political in your closing sentence.

The Republican Party is trash. I doubt I ever again vote for another Republican. And given the amount of idiocy I’ve read on this board in defense of the Trump/MAGA crap, I don’t want anything to do with any of them. Garbage humans and terrible people.
Thanks Team Blue Robot.

ADVERTISEMENT