ADVERTISEMENT

Field of Dreams

I spent a lot of time on the diamonds in that part of the state starting with Babe Ruth ball and through playing for Beckman’s rival (CHS). I’m a few years older than you but you would have been at Beckman while I was still playing for CHS.
I hated that field Beckman played its home games on..."power alley" in left center was what 495? 515?

Lame that they put up a fence instead of using the corn as a fence

Also, the movie was cool but the real life destination kind of sucks, tbh.

A second round of tickets have been released. I know about 5 people who now have the opportunity to buy. I am guessing not too many of the first-rounders wanted to/could pay the $450/ticket.

$350 per ticket + $21 for handling fees for original winners.

I didn’t win the chance to buy tickets but have secured a ticket. I spent a lot of time on the diamonds in that part of the state starting with Babe Ruth ball and through playing for Beckman’s rival (CHS). I’m a few years older than you but you would have been at Beckman while I was still playing for CHS. Got to know a few players from Beckman pretty well at that time as we ended up playing Legion ball together (Wessels, Wegman, Moss).

I’m still stunned that a MLB game will be played in the area where I developed my love for the game.

Lost my Dad in early ‘01 and we spent our last Father’s Day together at Field of Dreams in 2000.

I anticipate that I’m going to be somewhat of an emotional wreck at some point after getting to Dyersville next Thursday.
Those names are very familiar to me, and I probably know those very guys. My brother is a few years older than I am.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Haha.

I hit one into that abyss that the LF caught..scored the runner from 3rd and 2nd...
Even at 500 feet there is no way someone could tag from second and score (run 180+ feet) unless there was a throwing/fielding error, the fielder thought it was the third out, he got hurt catching the ball, etc.

Someone would have to run 180+ feet (assuming two straight lines which is impossible). Even if the other team only threw the ball 65MPH the runner would have to run ~30 MPH (~50% faster than Tyreek Hill). If someone can hit it 500 feet then we probably aren’t talking 12 year olds so they’re probably able to throw it 75-85 MPH which means the runner would have to be ~2x as fast as Tyreek Hill.
*And yes I understand there is some time to catch and throw ball, but barring another circumstance, it still makes no sense to A) send B) score

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Even at 500 feet there is no way someone could tag from second and score (run 180+ feet) unless there was a throwing/fielding error, the fielder thought it was the third out, he got hurt catching the ball, etc.

Someone would have to run 180+ feet (assuming two straight lines which is impossible). Even if the other team only threw the ball 65MPH the runner would have to run ~30 MPH (~50% faster than Tyreek Hill). If someone can hit it 500 feet then we probably aren’t talking 12 year olds so they’re probably able to throw it 75-85 MPH which means the runner would have to be ~2x as fast as Tyreek Hill.
*And yes I understand there is some time to catch and throw ball, but barring another circumstance, it still makes no sense to A) send B) score

The LF dove for the catch and did not get to his feet right away...it was a hell of a catch for him to get there...

And he was farther out than these guys...

All I'll write is that I'm pretty sure that Eric Gregg was umpiring games when we played Beckman in Dyersville. The strike zone seemed to be awfully large in the top half of innings while it markedly shrunk in the bottom half of innings. ;)

(All in good fun . . .)

Couple things on this. It would have been cooler for them to use the original field instead of this one. If it wasn’t big enough, just cut more rows of corn. Also, the fence is lame, and if the players don’t enter through the corn, then it mlb has its head up its ass

Couple things on this. It would have been cooler for them to use the original field instead of this one. If it wasn’t big enough, just cut more rows of corn. Also, the fence is lame, and if the players don’t enter through the corn, then it mlb has its head up its ass
The fence is set up to allow the players to enter the field from the corn.

You're a) overestimating the arm strength of most HS outfielders and b) forgetting that from 450+, it would take a HS team 2 relays to get the ball home.

And yes, I say this having played at a field that had a "well" in left center that was around 465. I saw throws from near there a few times.

Reactions: CJBauer
It's a ballpark set up near the Field.

I've lived my entire life in Dyersville and the Omaha area, separated by 4 years at Iowa. In two years' time, both will have experienced hosting its first MLB game. I was able to go to the one in Omaha; this one is not looking too likely.

idcx1toyo9lbijrpdtln.jpg
Mark is not going to like all that valuable farmland wasted on a useless baseball field. Do you have any idea how much this land is worth? Yeah, about $2,200 an acre.

I just watched this movie last night and this was a glaring issue in the film. Because of the field Ray was going to go belly up because he had no crops to sell at harvest according to Mark. Ray used about 3 acres of his 200 acre farm for the ball field. 3 acres valued at about $6,600 and producing revenue of approximately $899.16 ($2.54/bushel, 118 bushels per acre, 3 acres, 1989 statistics). I haven't even calculated what the cost of inputs would be to find out what the cash flow would have been. There is no point in doing that because Ray wasn't going to lose his farm over $900. It was a 200 acre farm and the 4 acre footprint the house, barn, and ballfield sat on wasn't going to cause it to go under.

Reactions: torbee
You're a) overestimating the arm strength of most HS outfielders and b) forgetting that from 450+, it would take a HS team 2 relays to get the ball home.
I am sure I am over simplifying it, but it should never take 2 relays to throw 450 feet in HS. Home to 2nd is 127' feet itself and catchers do that without really planting and/or from their knees. HS kids can easily throw 2x that far (254')

Mark is not going to like all that valuable farmland wasted on a useless baseball field. Do you have any idea how much this land is worth? Yeah, about $2,200 an acre.

I just watched this movie last night and this was a glaring issue in the film. Because of the field Ray was going to go belly up because he had no crops to sell at harvest according to Mark. Ray used about 3 acres of his 200 acre farm for the ball field. 3 acres valued at about $6,600 and producing revenue of approximately $899.16 ($2.54/bushel, 118 bushels per acre, 3 acres, 1989 statistics). I haven't even calculated what the cost of inputs would be to find out what the cash flow would have been. There is no point in doing that because Ray wasn't going to lose his farm over $900. It was a 200 acre farm and the 4 acre footprint the house, barn, and ballfield sat on wasn't going to cause it to go under.
Ya, I don't know the numbers, but as a kid one of my friends/neighbors built a full sized baseball diamond in the field next to their house that they kept mowed all summer long. (They had 5 boys)

The dad was stingy AF, so he wouldnt have done it if it cost him a lot of money.

"Do you have any idea how much this land is worth? Yeah, about $2,200 an acre." Apparently you don't know either. 🤣

I agree playing on the original field would have been so much more special but I can see why logistically that wouldn’t work.

I’m sure the MLB nixed the idea of not having a true fence too, although how cool would have been to see a gapper one hop into the corn.

Graduated in 1995 and wasn't far from Dyersville. We hung out with sever Beckman girls that were smoking hot.

I think we just discovered that Mark was trying to swindle Ray. Costner always called Field of Dreams his generations “It’s A Wonderful Life”. Maybe they too had an alternate ending involving Mark and some baseball bats...

Ray Kinsella was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. He chose them because his father was a Yankee fan.
He WAS. But in the film he’s clearly a White Sox sympathizer at the least. He watches them on TV and builds the field for Shoeless Joe.

I am sure I am over simplifying it, but it should never take 2 relays to throw 450 feet in HS. Home to 2nd is 127' feet itself and catchers do that without really planting and/or from their knees. HS kids can easily throw 2x that far (254')
Not on a line, accurately. Kids can throw 250+ for sure, but it’s more of a long-toss throw, not a “pull down” on a line. If you’re talking typical HS outfielders, not guys like Brody Brecht with elite arms, it’s almost always going to be faster to do a double cut to the plate than to have 2 guys each throwing 250.

He WAS. But in the film he’s clearly a White Sox sympathizer at the least. He watches them on TV and builds the field for Shoeless Joe.
If we are talking about the real Ray Kinsella, the one from the book, he is a fan of God’s team. The Minnesota Twins.

ADVERTISEMENT