ADVERTISEMENT

Filip Rebraca

I think parlaying Garza/season/ program success into recruiting is more about doing that over a period of time. So guys that you’re recruiting that are in high school, or guys that have been recruited by Iowa previously are more likely targets. That’s not saying you can’t sell it to people in the portal but as mentioned above, but that’s only been for about two or three weeks.
Certainly it happens over time. But there’s a really strong pitch to be made about the type of success a quality big man can have within Iowa’s system. With good post feeders in Toussaint and McCaffery returning, I’ll be a little surprised and disappointed if Brunk is the best we can do

So tell me, why can't Fran land anyone from the portal where there are more kids than spots? I mean clearly you must have some tremendous insight into Fran's strategy. Duke, KU, UNC, Kentucky, and Wisconsin all adding guys from the portal, but not Fran. Nothing to see here right?
Right. Fran needs the right player not just a body that sits on the bench. Looks like not a lot of quality big men to choose from right now. Patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Is this a person with no expectations for a coach making bank? Iowa spends the season in the top 10 and Fran (apparently) has interest in a guy coming off back surgery who hasn't played for 2 years despite the abundance of talent in the portal? 11 years and 0 second round wins. Guards outscored 67-0 against Oregon. Losing Garza, Jbo, likely JW, CJ having another surgery and Joey Brunk is on Fran's radar. Safe to say Fran's biggest post-season accomplishment when he retires will be that NIT runner up banner from the Dev Marble days.
According to Fran the other day, CJ does not need to have surgery and will be able to participate in workouts in the next week or two.

So, has Rebraca committed elsewhere, or is he still a real possibility? He seems like more of a fit to Iowa's fast-paced style, assuming he can provide some defense around the basket. If he is healthy, Brunk could be a decent addition.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
So, has Rebraca committed elsewhere, or is he still a real possibility? He seems like more of a fit to Iowa's fast-paced style, assuming he can provide some defense around the basket. If he is healthy, Brunk could be a decent addition.
From what I can tell, he’s down to 4-5 schools, Iowa being one of them. His decision will come in a week or two (I suspect).

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
It's not just 2 weeks. Fran's Body of work is 10 previous years and he has Bakari to show for it + an Iowa kid in Uthoff. This latest guy is just an extra big body for insurance.

Joey Brunk committed to Ohio State, so if you didn't want him you are in luck

Looking at the espn top 100 in the portal unfortunately lot of the top 50 there isn’t much for big guys. 2 of them Atkinson from Yale and Robbins Iowa went after. We all know why Robbins went to vandy and Yale guy picked ND. Say what you want but with his academic background tough to argue his choice.

So I’m sure who ever fran gets will be criticism of lack of name recognition or production. But guy like Rebraca who can come in and play 20-25 is what Iowa at least needs after mulvey reclassification puts a little less pressure to find and on the guy coming in.

E.J. Onu is name to watch
6'11" 240 Sr. NAIA All-American
From Cleveland
Graduating this month
Put name into portal but also has declared for NBA Draft so won't likely be a decision for a while.

If he goes Grad Transfer route Iowa has a strong selling position as his field of study is Physical Therapy.

Don't let NAIA level fool you he's got game.

From Cleveland
Graduating this month
Put name into portal but also has declared for NBA Draft so won't likely be a decision for a while.

If he goes Grad Transfer route Iowa has a strong selling position as his field of study is Physical Therapy.

Seems like the type of guy who ends up at a Kansas-type school if he comes back to college, but is exactly what we need

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
From Cleveland
Graduating this month

Seems like a player that would fit like a glove for a year

From Cleveland
Graduating this month

Looking at the espn top 100 in the portal unfortunately lot of the top 50 there isn’t much for big guys. 2 of them Atkinson from Yale and Robbins Iowa went after. We all know why Robbins went to vandy and Yale guy picked ND. Say what you want but with his academic background tough to argue his choice.

So I’m sure who ever fran gets will be criticism of lack of name recognition or production. But guy like Rebraca who can come in and play 20-25 is what Iowa at least needs after mulvey reclassification puts a little less pressure to find and on the guy coming in.
Appears either Fran's message isn't resonating or players see Iowa minus Garza as a bigger rebuild than Minnesota, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Indiana. Ultimately I just hope Fran finds somebody who can add some value whether it be scoring, defense, rebounds, etc. When all else fails, finding a guy who can make shots is a skill set to have.

Appears either Fran's message isn't resonating or players see Iowa minus Garza as a bigger rebuild than Minnesota, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Indiana. Ultimately I just hope Fran finds somebody who can add some value whether it be scoring, defense, rebounds, etc. When all else fails, finding a guy who can make shots is a skill set to have.
All of those places have next to nothing coming back and the transfers going there are assured of pt.

If you think transfers are choosing those places because they are thinking about winning games you must be assuming said transfers are idiots because obviously none of those teams are winning shit next year besides maybe Wisconsin.

They choose those places precisely because they are in a rebuild. Iowa is not.

Last edited:
Seems like there is no optimism for Rebraca choosing Iowa. Seems like Iowa would be a nice match to his game, but then I thought Robbins would be a nice mutual match, so I know nothing.

All of those places have next to nothing coming back and the transfers going there are assured of pt.

If you think transfers are choosing those places because they are thinking about winning games you must be assuming said transfers are idiots because obviously none of those teams are winning shit next year besides maybe Wisconsin.

They choose those places precisely because they are in a rebuild. Iowa is not.
I'm pretty sure WiscDavidson isn't going to be good next year either.

If he comes to Iowa he starts in the JW or CJ spot. If he goes to OSU he still probably starts. If he goes to UCLA he likely won't start but will have a shot at a final 4.

OSU just got better then. So frustrated with Fran's lack of impact using the portal... I just dont know if he's not aggressively trying or he is and kids just aren't choosing Iowa.

Unfortunately Fran was just going after bigs early on. In ESPN top 100 in the portal there isn't a ton of big guys in the top half. Iowa went after Robbins and Atkinson who we lost out on. That's what sucks with CJ and his timing leading Fran on and for Weiskamp to test the NBA waters again. We missed out on the opportunity to go after some players that are guards. Now who knows if Fran would have gone after someone at the 2-3 spot to fill one of those vacancies or not.

Unfortunately Fran was just going after bigs early on. In ESPN top 100 in the portal there isn't a ton of big guys in the top half. Iowa went after Robbins and Atkinson who we lost out on. That's what sucks with CJ and his timing leading Fran on and for Weiskamp to test the NBA waters again. We missed out on the opportunity to go after some players that are guards. Now who knows if Fran would have gone after someone at the 2-3 spot to fill one of those vacancies or not.
could see a fair amount of Joe T and Ulis, even playing together. Perkins will play both the 2 and 3. We will be extremely long at the 3/4/5 with Murray, Murray, CMac and Mulvey. Edit: Add Josh.

I know it's probably a foregone conclusion that Weezy is gone. But I thought I read that his fiancee is attending dental school next year here. If so, maybe he'll want to stick around for another year. I can hope :)

Rebraca is a 4, and there have been threads discussing whether this might be even better for next year. We already have two true 5s in Big O and Mulvey, but it is questionable how ready they will be for starter minutes. Rebraca spent a lot of time near the basket, so he should help a lot by giving another experienced player with some size and another rebounder. He seems to be very mobile and has skills on the offensive end. I haven't seen or heard how he plays defense, but a front line of Rebraca, Keegan, and Patrick/Kris has a lot of length, with quickness we didn't have.

ADVERTISEMENT