ADVERTISEMENT

Final AP Poll

Iafootballfan

HR MVP
Sep 1, 2007
Iowa finishing 34th according to AP voters.

Final AP Top 25 (1/9)
1. Alabama (57) (13-1)
2. Georgia (13-2)
3. Oklahoma (12-2)
4. Clemson (12-2)
5. Ohio State (12-2)
6. Central Florida (4) (13-0)
7. Wisconsin (13-1)
8. Penn State (11-2)

9. TCU (11-3)
10. Auburn (10-4)
11. Notre Dame (10-3)
12. USC (11-3)
13. Miami (FL) (10-3)
14. Oklahoma State (10-3)
15. Michigan State (10-3)
16. Washington (10-3)
17. Northwestern (10-3)
18. LSU (9-4)
19. Mississippi State (9-4)
20. Stanford (9-5)
21. South Florida (10-2)
22. Boise State (11-3)
23. North Carolina State (9-4)
24. Virginia Tech (9-4)
25. Memphis (10-3)

Others Receiving Votes
Washington State, South Carolina, Iowa State, Army, Florida Atlantic, Troy, Fresno State, San Diego State, Iowa

They have wins over 3 final top 25 teams, I don't see an issue with that.

Both teams have the same record, Iowa played a more difficult schedule in a better conference, Iowa is ranked higher by every composite and Iowa won the head-to-head matchup. Zero reason that ISU should be getting more votes than Iowa, other than they are historically terrible and had an unusually decent year.

I don't personally have a problem with ISU being ranked higher then Iowa despite losing to Iowa, but I have my doubts that Army, Florida Atlantic, Troy, Fresno State, San Diego State should be above Iowa. Doesn't really matter, out of the top 25 is out of the top 25, squabbling about who should be ranked 28th or 34th is not a big deal.

Last edited:
Both teams have the same record, Iowa played a more difficult schedule in a better conference, Iowa is ranked higher by every composite and Iowa won the head-to-head matchup. Zero reason that ISU should be getting more votes than Iowa, other than they are historically terrible and had an unusually decent year.
I agree with this- Iowa had a much tougher schedule- Not only did Iowa play 9 bowl teams, they played 8 teams that won their bowl as well. If you also include the head to head victory them being ranked higher is asinine

You new to CFB AP polls? Wins > everything you just said.

Correct. This is simply a , "look what they did this year" reaction because its outside the norm for ISU. As you stated Iowa had the tougher schedule overall, and won the head to head AT ISU, so that should carry the day.

ISU is not "ranked" higher. "Also receiving votes" dose not equal ranked.
Recieving more votes does in fact equals being ranked. Votes determines final rankings and the team that is listed first on "also recieving votes" is ranked 26th (it isn't really that big of a deal if outside of top 25 but rankings are determined on voting)

Recieving more votes does in fact equals being ranked. Votes determines final rankings and the team that is listed first on "also recieving votes" is ranked 26th (it isn't really that big of a deal if outside of top 25 but rankings are determined on voting)
If that's the case, then who is ranked 35-50?

To stop at 34 seems random.

I agree with the other poster, you're either Ranked (aka 1-25) or you're not.

Memphis being ranked over ISU is weird, and wrong, but somewhat satisfying.
Memphis went 10-3. It is not weird at all. By that reasoning, Iowa should be ranked ahead of Ohio State. It is not possible to make a ranking based on head to head matchups at the end of the season.

Reactions: HemiHawk
giphy.gif

Neither team is ranked. The hysteria by ISU fans over receiving votes in the final poll is pretty funny. Reminds me of the Christopher Guest mockumentary "For Your Consideration" when there's Oscar buzz for the leading actors in the movie their making, but in the end they don't get nominated. So the guy takes a gig on an infomercial and after being introduced says "...it was an honor just to be almost nominated."

Kind of where ISU fans are at. Look at us, we were almost ranked. Funny. Sad. But funny.

Reactions: JStandefer
Memphis went 10-3. It is not weird at all. By that reasoning, Iowa should be ranked ahead of Ohio State. It is not possible to make a ranking based on head to head matchups at the end of the season.

Uh, no, not by that logic at all. Iowa beat tOSU in Week 10, Iowa wasn't ranked, and moved up to get votes. tOSU was #3 and moved down to #11.

Memphis was #16 (AP, #20 coaches) before losing to ISU, ISU just outside. Yet even in the coaches where they were #20, they dropped a measly 5 spots in order to stay ahead of ISU.

It is not "head to head matchups" when it is literally the last game played and reflected in the rankings.

Neither team is ranked. The hysteria by ISU fans over receiving votes in the final poll is pretty funny. Reminds me of the Christopher Guest mockumentary "For Your Consideration" when there's Oscar buzz for the leading actors in the movie their making, but in the end they don't get nominated. So the guy takes a gig on an infomercial and after being introduced says "...it was an honor just to be almost nominated."

Kind of where ISU fans are at. Look at us, we were almost ranked. Funny. Sad. But funny.
They should be excited about that as it is marked improvement. Not so for other teams.

Disagree. Voters are only voting for 25 teams, not 40. So all the "also receiving" teams received votes in the top 25. If the voters were voting for a Top 40, the results could be very different.

Iowa also beat OSU by
Uh, no, not by that logic at all. Iowa beat tOSU in Week 10, Iowa wasn't ranked, and moved up to get votes. tOSU was #3 and moved down to #11.

Memphis was #16 (AP, #20 coaches) before losing to ISU, ISU just outside. Yet even in the coaches where they were #20, they dropped a measly 5 spots in order to stay ahead of ISU.

It is not "head to head matchups" when it is literally the last game played and reflected in the rankings.
I think the reason for the big movement with Iowa and OSU was because the the eye popping final score. Had ISU won by 31...

Again, using the same example, are you suggesting that Iowa would be ranked ahead OSU if the game had been the last game of the season? It seems that way, but I might not be following you.

Considering ISU is the highest ranked 8-5 team in the nation, it’s pretty hard to say they are anything other than at least as high as they deserve.

who did memphis beat?
OSU had 3 top 15 wins, memphis had ZERO top 25 wins.
Apples to oranges bud.....

Where is this hysteria you are referring to?

Also reminds me of Iowa fans getting excited to be a #1 seed in the NIT last year... so many freshmen that are developing! Until a Big 12 school came in and beat you at home, and now those freshmen are regressing and you suck.

Where is this hysteria you are referring to?

Also reminds me of Iowa fans getting excited to be a #1 seed in the NIT last year... so many freshmen that are developing! Until a Big 12 school came in and beat you at home, and now those freshmen are regressing and you suck.

It's not hard to find. Congrats on almost being ranked in the best year of ISU football ever.

Disagree. Voters are only voting for 25 teams, not 40. So all the "also receiving" teams received votes in the top 25. If the voters were voting for a Top 40, the results could be very different.
Hypothetically, yes- but that is not how the polls work

Iowa also beat OSU by

I think the reason for the big movement with Iowa and OSU was because the the eye popping final score. Had ISU won by 31...

Again, using the same example, are you suggesting that Iowa would be ranked ahead OSU if the game had been the last game of the season? It seems that way, but I might not be following you.

Considering ISU is the highest ranked 8-5 team in the nation, it’s pretty hard to say they are anything other than at least as high as they deserve.

No, why would they be ranked ahead? OSU was top 5, Iowa not ranked. That doesn't justify flipping ranks. But 20 vs. 26-28? That isn't difficult. You are basing ISU's rank entirely on their losses in a far more difficult conference than based on their actual seasons and results.

I agree with your last part, ISU shouldn't be ranked. My point is that Memphis definitely shouldn't be, they lost to an unranked team in a HOME bowl game, yet barely dropped.

It’s the Oklahoma boner

Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
If we just take care of Purdue at home, I suspect we make the AP Top 25. We would have had 3 wins out of 4 in November, including OSU and our only loss was Wisky in Madison. Possibly the top ranked 9-4 team in the poll.

And if we hold on for 4 more seconds against Penn State...

If...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT