ADVERTISEMENT

Final thoughts as the season rolls in…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
I do find it interesting, even reassuring the amount of confidence the coaching staff has shown throughout the spring and fall even with all the injuries.

At the end of the day we’re all just saying things either to prepare ourselves for the worst or make ourselves feel better. But I think there’d be several that would agree this coaching staff acts like they think they have a good team.

So if we stumble out of the gate and struggle putting W‘s together then it really is on them!

With that said, I honestly don’t think they’re gonna waste this opportunity…

Petras has had all kinds of coaching from within and without the organization and 2 young coaches have their futures directly tied to him. Budmayr and Brian F need him to succeed!

Ive said it before, maybe 100 times, probably more considering I’ve been saying it for three or four years. This defense with the talent and depth, they’ve been building…If they don’t absolutely destroy people. I will have been deeply tricked and so will have a lot of prognosticators, rival coaches & NFL talent evaluators! They should be good enough for a baseline of 8ish plus wins alone, I would think.

I don’t know how good this offensive line can be, but they have never had a starting pool of talent rated this high in my memory!

Same goes with the running backs and as many have opineed…we have the kind of running backs that in my mind our offense has always worked the best with and that’s tough, strong, physical runners that can get up the crease!

I also think almost from out of nowhere we have five highly capable tight ends. With two, Laporta and Lachey that certainly will play in the NFL!! Not to say the others won’t but the aforementioned are locks.

Which leaves us with WR… we have had moments in the past, even with wide receivers, a handful of years ago, where a much-maligned unit has came through aces, straits and flushes!

Arland Bruce is a perfect slot/runner/do everything player that our offense needs.

If and I agree it’s a big “if” this Alex Wick and or Jack Johnson really can catch the ball like we’ve been led to believe, we need that way more than we need a guy that runs a 9.9, hundred!

Not to mention I think Kelton Copeland is far and away the best wide receiver coach we have had in Iowa city under Kirk!

Really and I get this is a positive slant but honestly. I don’t ever remember a camp where they talked so positive about multiple wide receivers. Vines was having a good camp, Wick is having a good camp, Bostic has had buzz apparently, this Jack Johnson has had buzz. And Keegan Johnson, is proven as long as his health holds up!

Go hawks!! I don’t like posting much throughout the season it just gets to be too much so I hope this to be my last one in a while!

Last edited:
I do find it interesting, even reassuring the amount of confidence the coaching staff has shown throughout the spring and fall even with all the injuries.

At the end of the day we’re all just saying things either to prepare ourselves for the worst or make ourselves feel better. But I think there’d be several that would agree this coaching staff acts like they think they have a good team.

So if we stumble out of the gate and struggle putting W‘s together then it really is on them!

Petras has had all kinds of coaching from within and without the organization and 2 young coaches have their futures directly tied to him. Budmayr and Brian F need him to succeed!

Ive said it before, maybe 100 times, probably more considering I’ve been saying it for three or four years. This defense with the talent and depth, they’ve been building…If they don’t absolutely destroy people. I will have been deeply tricked and so will have a lot of prognosticators, rival coaches & NFL talent evaluators! They should be good enough for a baseline of 8ish plus wins alone, I would think.

I don’t know how good this offensive line can be, but they have never had a starting pool of talent rated this high in my memory!

Same goes with the running backs and as many have opineed…we have the kind of running backs that in my mind our offense has always worked the best with and that’s tough, strong, physical runners that can get up the crease!

I also think almost from out of nowhere we have five highly capable tight ends. With two, Laporta and Lachey that certainly will play in the NFL!! Not to say the others won’t but the aforementioned are locks.

Which leaves us with WR… we have had moments in the past, even with wide receivers, a handful of years ago, where a much-maligned unit has came through aces, straits and flushes!

Arland Bruce is a perfect slot/runner/do everything player that our offense needs.

If and I agree it’s a big “if” this Alex Wick and or Jack Johnson really can catch the ball like we’ve been led to believe, we need that way more than we need a guy that runs a 9.9, hundred!

Not to mention I think Kelton Copeland is far and away the best wide receiver coach we have had in Iowa city under Kirk!

Really and I get this is a positive slant but honesty. I don’t ever remember a camp where they talked so positive about multiple wide receivers. Vines was having a good camp, Wick is having a good camp, Bostic has had buzz apparently, this Jack Johnson has had buzz. And Keegan Johnson. Is proven as long as his health holds up!

Go hawks!! I don’t like posting much throughout the season it just gets to be too much so I hope this to be my last one in a while!
As always, Iowa football is a crapshoot. As always, it will boil down to the offensive line and the run game. If Iowa can get it done on the ground, they’ll probably again win the West. The defense should be phenomenal yet again. Can you imagine how even better they can be statistically if the offense is actually moving the chains and chewing up clock with the ground game? Kinda scary to think about.

Oh, and Petras should be better. I’m cautiously optimistic too because I think Iowa will run the football more effectively this season which will allow everything else to fall into place (e.g. more successful downfield play action passes, fewer 3 and outs, and more TOP).

We’ll see.

my random and by no means final thoughts: despite the lofty expectations, i expect a couple of games in which the D will get gashed. if the offense could choose one of these games to significantly elevate production (like they do once or twice per season) that would be fantastic. for e.g. the 2017 44-41 isu game.

Petras can’t be worse. Being the same would not be good and would result in a couple fewer wins than last year. Hopefully he can be a top 75 type guy. That’s not asking too much.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
i want to see more straight ahead man blocking with this line and the RBs We have, just do that and throw a wrinkle in here and there to get over the top and in the 2nd half watch the lanes get bigger , that needs to be the Iowa Offense this Year , Let us not complicate things . You put too much on the QB room and WRs and that will not get the best results this Season . Play to the personel . Iowas line is big and stupid strong.

Really and I get this is a positive slant but honestly. I don’t ever remember a camp where they talked so positive about multiple wide receivers. Vines was having a good camp, Wick is having a good camp, Bostic has had buzz apparently, this Jack Johnson has had buzz. And Keegan Johnson, is proven as long as his health holds up!

"
Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the
Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war,
if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by
that Antichrist- I really believe he is Antichrist- I will have
nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer
my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see
I have frightened you- sit down and tell me all the news."

It was in July, 1805, and the speaker was the well-known Anna
Pavlovna Scherer, maid of honor and favorite of the Empress Marya
Fedorovna. With these words she greeted Prince Vasili Kuragin, a man
of high rank and importance, who was the first to arrive at her
reception. Anna Pavlovna had had a cough for some days. She was, as
she said, suffering from la grippe; grippe being then a new word in
St. Petersburg, used only by the elite.

All her invitations without exception, written in French, and
delivered by a scarlet-liveried footman that morning, ran as follows:

"If you have nothing better to do, Count [or Prince], and if the
prospect of spending an evening with a poor invalid is not too
terrible, I shall be very charmed to see you tonight between 7 and 10-
Annette Scherer."

"Heavens! what a virulent attack!" replied the prince, not in the
least disconcerted by this reception. He had just entered, wearing
an embroidered court uniform, knee breeches, and shoes, and had
stars on his breast and a serene expression on his flat face. He spoke
in that refined French in which our grandfathers not only spoke but
thought, and with the gentle, patronizing intonation natural to a
man of importance who had grown old in society and at court. He went
up to Anna Pavlovna, kissed her hand, presenting to her his bald,
scented, and shining head, and complacently seated himself on the
sofa.

"First of all, dear friend, tell me how you are. Set your friend's
mind at rest," said he without altering his tone, beneath the
politeness and affected sympathy of which indifference and even
irony could be discerned.

"Can one be well while suffering morally? Can one be calm in times
like these if one has any feeling?" said Anna Pavlovna. "You are
staying the whole evening, I hope?"

"And the fete at the English ambassador's? Today is Wednesday. I
must put in an appearance there," said the prince. "My daughter is
coming for me to take me there."

"I thought today's fete had been canceled. I confess all these
festivities and fireworks are becoming wearisome."

"If they had known that you wished it, the entertainment would
have been put off," said the prince, who, like a wound-up clock, by
force of habit said things he did not even wish to be believed.

"Don't tease! Well, and what has been decided about Novosiltsev's
dispatch? You know everything."

"What can one say about it?" replied the prince in a cold,
listless tone. "What has been decided? They have decided that
Buonaparte has burnt his boats, and I believe that we are ready to
burn ours."

Prince Vasili always spoke languidly, like an actor repeating a
stale part. Anna Pavlovna Scherer on the contrary, despite her forty
years, overflowed with animation and impulsiveness. To be an
enthusiast had become her social vocation and, sometimes even when she
did not feel like it, she became enthusiastic in order not to
disappoint the expectations of those who knew her. The subdued smile
which, though it did not suit her faded features, always played
round her lips expressed, as in a spoiled child, a continual
consciousness of her charming defect, which she neither wished, nor
could, nor considered it necessary, to correct.

In the midst of a conversation on political matters Anna Pavlovna
burst out:

"
Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the
Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war,
if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by
that Antichrist- I really believe he is Antichrist- I will have
nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer
my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see
I have frightened you- sit down and tell me all the news."

It was in July, 1805, and the speaker was the well-known Anna
Pavlovna Scherer, maid of honor and favorite of the Empress Marya
Fedorovna. With these words she greeted Prince Vasili Kuragin, a man
of high rank and importance, who was the first to arrive at her
reception. Anna Pavlovna had had a cough for some days. She was, as
she said, suffering from la grippe; grippe being then a new word in
St. Petersburg, used only by the elite.

All her invitations without exception, written in French, and
delivered by a scarlet-liveried footman that morning, ran as follows:

"If you have nothing better to do, Count [or Prince], and if the
prospect of spending an evening with a poor invalid is not too
terrible, I shall be very charmed to see you tonight between 7 and 10-
Annette Scherer."

"Heavens! what a virulent attack!" replied the prince, not in the
least disconcerted by this reception. He had just entered, wearing
an embroidered court uniform, knee breeches, and shoes, and had
stars on his breast and a serene expression on his flat face. He spoke
in that refined French in which our grandfathers not only spoke but
thought, and with the gentle, patronizing intonation natural to a
man of importance who had grown old in society and at court. He went
up to Anna Pavlovna, kissed her hand, presenting to her his bald,
scented, and shining head, and complacently seated himself on the
sofa.

"First of all, dear friend, tell me how you are. Set your friend's
mind at rest," said he without altering his tone, beneath the
politeness and affected sympathy of which indifference and even
irony could be discerned.

"Can one be well while suffering morally? Can one be calm in times
like these if one has any feeling?" said Anna Pavlovna. "You are
staying the whole evening, I hope?"

"And the fete at the English ambassador's? Today is Wednesday. I
must put in an appearance there," said the prince. "My daughter is
coming for me to take me there."

"I thought today's fete had been canceled. I confess all these
festivities and fireworks are becoming wearisome."

"If they had known that you wished it, the entertainment would
have been put off," said the prince, who, like a wound-up clock, by
force of habit said things he did not even wish to be believed.

"Don't tease! Well, and what has been decided about Novosiltsev's
dispatch? You know everything."

"What can one say about it?" replied the prince in a cold,
listless tone. "What has been decided? They have decided that
Buonaparte has burnt his boats, and I believe that we are ready to
burn ours."

Prince Vasili always spoke languidly, like an actor repeating a
stale part. Anna Pavlovna Scherer on the contrary, despite her forty
years, overflowed with animation and impulsiveness. To be an
enthusiast had become her social vocation and, sometimes even when she
did not feel like it, she became enthusiastic in order not to
disappoint the expectations of those who knew her. The subdued smile
which, though it did not suit her faded features, always played
round her lips expressed, as in a spoiled child, a continual
consciousness of her charming defect, which she neither wished, nor
could, nor considered it necessary, to correct.

In the midst of a conversation on political matters Anna Pavlovna
burst out:

Very well said my Hawkeye brother!

I’m amazed at the confidence the coaches have projected about the offensive line given the best Center in the country is no longer on it, and as a group last year they couldn’t protect the QB or consistently run the football.

Im truly hopeful it’s because the OL is healthy, more experienced and improved.

ADVERTISEMENT