ADVERTISEMENT

Final Thoughts on IA/NE Rivalry

EKHawk

All-Conference
Nov 23, 2010
Just posted this on the Husker board as my final post on their site till next year's game. Curious to see how's it's received. Would also be interested in what folks on this site think as well. Agree? Disagree? Go Hawks!

Been reading and posting a bit the past couple weeks to see how folks on this site view the Hawkeyes. The responses are pretty broad. Regarding whether or not Iowa and Nebraska view each other as rivals...I think the Black Friday angle helped make this game more of a rivalry but next year, the game will just be a game to me as it moves onto a Saturday.

Playing Wisconsin is the most anticipated game for many Hawks (with Iowa State a close 2nd). We know they've been a notch above us for most of the past decade and while it's frustrating, we respect them as a team. 4 of the last 8 games have been won by 1-4 points (3 of them won by the Badgers), but most fans give them credit for the win and don't make a bunch of excuses. The winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game usually plays in the BIG Championship.

Mutual respect is clearly lacking between IA and NE. It doesn't matter if the Huskers are winning or losing, a number of the outspoken posters here see the Hawkeyes and most of the teams on their schedule as inferior to them. I think this is why many Hawkeye fans enjoy beating Nebraska (esp Hawk fans in western Iowa). Regardless, good luck next year (except on November 14th).

Nebraska fans are interesting to me in that I hear many times how great they are to the opposing fans and one should be expecting to be welcomed and treated well. However, there is a major sense of delusion as they cannot get over their former past and loss of elite status. My boss is a HUGE Husker fan but is a great guy and I believe likes Iowa enough (definitely no hate). He agreed it was a shame it wasn't 1997 anymore. They have fallen far but have the infrastructure to be pretty good again. Just maybe not as dominant but who can argue with them always packing the house? Iowa impressed Hayden by how the fans packed the stadium with a losing record. Nebraska will be back but maybe more like a good program but not elite.

I have a particular loathing for nebby and their fan base. A loss for them is welcomed, especially when it's delivered by Iowa. But as far as importance in the B1G, wisky owns the West. And the Hawks. Figuring out how to beat them needs to be at the top of their list of priorities.

I find their fans delusional and annoying as hell...but I don’t consider them a rival any more than I do Purdue. Both are just marketing ploys to try and build interest in us playing below average major conference football teams.

To the OP - I’m sure your post over at Debbie will go over like a box of ROCKS.

it ain’t even worth trying to talk to them - unless you’re a Zombie: gbr gbr gbr gbr gbr

A tradition just like their fictitious sell out streak. It's easy to put up a false illusion of being "nice" when you're smoking everyone you're playing.

I would much rather hate Nebraska because of a competitive rivalry. However, the absolute delusional world some of their fans live in make that impossible (and obviously the 21st century product they've put on the field). I've never seen a more falsely entitled group of fans ANYWHERE. The fact they don't even have a player on their roster whom was alive the last time Nebraska meant anything to the national scene makes them even more comical.

I questioned whether or not Nebraska would be a good fit for the B1G and here we are several years down the road and I still question it. Their academics are garbage, their athletic program (minus volleyball) is garbage and their fans continually looking down their nose at everybody else as somehow inferior to them is puke-inducing.

Did their fans applaud the Iowa team as they left the field?

I thought that was one of their big traditions

That was a tradition when they played many inferior programs in the old big 8/12. Really easy to be a gracious winner when you are pounding a bunch of weak opponents. College football has changed dramatically and many programs have more money than they ever used to from media rights and almost all are trying to win (take football seriously).

What I can say is being there is the vast majority of their fans were very friendly. You can tell though that they’ve been humbled from my previous visits to Memorial. There was a very somber exodus by their fans after Duncan made that kick. I really felt bad for them in some respects. I will say their kids played hard and although I have my doubts about Frost as a leader of men, they actually managed the game in a style that you need to in order to win B1G games. They were patient sticking to principles, ran the football a ton and played hard. They tried to set some things up and did like the McCaffrey rpo Long TD pass. Not all the way there, but it was improved. What stuck out negatively is their player discipline by doing juvenile type stuff. It seemed Frost’esque childish at times. He has to clean that up starting with him as it takes away from the growth of young men who need to fight through adversity.

Other thoughts are there stadium is big and has good energy. It’s a tough place to play and their fans are into it. What struck me most though is how outdated their facilities are now (practice facility, weight room, trophy room, etc.). You can see the impact of playing in the Big12 from a money standpoint and why they’ve also fell behind so many programs in the power 5. They won games in the Big 8/12 but they paid a price for it as that conference does not bring home the bacon money wise to keep them up top. Now, I heard they are pouring 150 million into facilities and I think that is very smart from what I saw.

This could be a really good program again but they’ve got to pour money in and take on a new face for today’s landscape. Their coach needs to grow up and stop being so immature. They should never discard their past, but don’t rely on it as a worthless crutch either. They’ve really failed to understand how to win games in the B1G and Midwest which in some respects goes back to their roots. Line play is their number one weakness. They have some talented skill players but you don’t win outside in, but inside out if that makes sense.

I would bet how Iowa fans feel about Nebraska is how Wisconsin fans feel about Iowa. Both teams have to win for it be a rivalry. Nebraska has not proven it can beat Iowa- losing 5 in a row and Iowa has not proven it can beat Wisconsin.

I would bet how Iowa fans feel about Nebraska is how Wisconsin fans feel about Iowa. Both teams have to win for it be a rivalry. Nebraska has not proven it can beat Iowa- losing 5 in a row and Iowa has not proven it can beat Wisconsin.

I believe most Iowa fans have a firmer grip on reality in regard to where Iowa fits in the Big and National landscape.

OP, Iowa State a close second to Wisconsin? Don't think so. The Clones are down there in the 7th to 8th range and at least half the Iowa fan base wants to cancel the series because there is no benefit to Iowa to play them.
Thought it was a generally good post but I agree with this. Besides wiscy I think Penn St, OSU, Mich, MSU and even Nebraska are way bigger games. We need to dump ISU asap, we hardly got a boost from beating them on the road. Oh, and their fans just suck

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I believe most Iowa fans have a firmer grip on reality in regard to where Iowa fits in the Big and National landscape.
Iowa does not have the history that Nebraska has; therefore, the Iowa fans have a much lower expectation. Iowa has historically won 56 percent of there games, while Nebraska has won 69 percent of there games.

I do feel like Nebraska should be a top 5/6 program in the B1G most every year. They have a known brand name and have consistently attracted top talent from around the country for many years. As noted above, they are investing in upgrading facilities but have the foundational fanbase and support. I am not a Scott Frost fan but I dont feel like they are too far from getting to 8/9 wins. I did not grow up in Iowa so dont have the same context as many Hawk fans, but just my objective view. I believe they must be able to throw the ball, so have my reservations about Martinez and his future there.

One way that Nebraska feels they are far superior to Iowa is their 902 all-time total wins compared to Iowa's 660. That gives them so-called blue blood status and being ranked 9th for all-time wins. If they had been in a competitive conference from 1907 - 1996, they would have a lot less wins. They have a combined total of 255- 55 against Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State. If Iowa would have had 3 or 4 Rutgers type teams to beat up for 90 years, Iowa's win column would have a substantial increase too. So, there you have the Husker disillusionment and denial. They yearn to be back in places like Manhattan Kansas, beating up their little bros.

Just posted this on the Husker board as my final post on their site till next year's game. Curious to see how's it's received. Would also be interested in what folks on this site think as well. Agree? Disagree? Go Hawks!

Been reading and posting a bit the past couple weeks to see how folks on this site view the Hawkeyes. The responses are pretty broad. Regarding whether or not Iowa and Nebraska view each other as rivals...I think the Black Friday angle helped make this game more of a rivalry but next year, the game will just be a game to me as it moves onto a Saturday.

Playing Wisconsin is the most anticipated game for many Hawks (with Iowa State a close 2nd). We know they've been a notch above us for most of the past decade and while it's frustrating, we respect them as a team. 4 of the last 8 games have been won by 1-4 points (3 of them won by the Badgers), but most fans give them credit for the win and don't make a bunch of excuses. The winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game usually plays in the BIG Championship.

Mutual respect is clearly lacking between IA and NE. It doesn't matter if the Huskers are winning or losing, a number of the outspoken posters here see the Hawkeyes and most of the teams on their schedule as inferior to them. I think this is why many Hawkeye fans enjoy beating Nebraska (esp Hawk fans in western Iowa). Regardless, good luck next year (except on November 14th).

Well, if you hadn't left voluntarily, that would have gotten you banned over there.

I am not a Scott Frost fan but I dont feel like they are too far from getting to 8/9 wins.

the problem is they aren't going to be content at 8/9 wins. They weren't happy with Pelini's results.

If Frost hit 8/9 wins and doesn't start getting 11 wins a season on a regular basis that fanbase will want whoever the next messiah in as head coach.

I do feel like Nebraska should be a top 5/6 program in the B1G most every year. They have a known brand name and have consistently attracted top talent from around the country for many years. As noted above, they are investing in upgrading facilities but have the foundational fanbase and support. I am not a Scott Frost fan but I dont feel like they are too far from getting to 8/9 wins. I did not grow up in Iowa so dont have the same context as many Hawk fans, but just my objective view. I believe they must be able to throw the ball, so have my reservations about Martinez and his future there.
debby has to get a LOT better to get to 8 or 9 wins. they are going backwards. they went 4-2 to finish 2018, 1-5 to finish 2019. offense scored 14 less per game this year vs last comparing the 8 teams they played both years. lil sis has BIG problems, 2020 schedule is harder, 2021 doesn't look easy either.

Reactions: towndog1
debby has to get a LOT better to get to 8 or 9 wins. they are going backwards. they went 4-2 to finish 2018, 1-5 to finish 2019. offense scored 14 less per game this year vs last comparing the 8 teams they played both years. lil sis has BIG problems, 2020 schedule is harder, 2021 doesn't look easy either.

That's fair. I was evaluating based on the eyeball test plus fact that they lost a number of close games. But taking a second look, they also WON a number of close games too. I suppose their defense has stabilized versus some unimaginable drubbings like...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=273072305

Die hard Husker fan here. 34, so old enough to relish our past dominance, but also appreciative of the fact that the allure of Husker fandom has lost its luster.

Last year, visiting family in Northeast Nebraska over Thanksgiving, my Dad had the idea of driving 6 hours east for the NE vs. IA game at Kinnick Stadium. We bought 50 yard line tickets and it was a great experience.

Came to your Rivals board to note that not all Husker fans are completely entitled asshats. I played college football with a lot of Iowa natives and Hawkeye fans.

My Dad and I much enjoyed our trip to Iowa City and we joined an Iowa tailgate and they were very kind and we shared a bunch of beers before the game. Nebraska has a ways to go before we are relevant again, but we feel like we have the right guy in Frost (well at least most of us do), and it is coming if we have patience.

I have a great deal of respect for the Iowa football program under Ferentz, and the impact he has on young men and their journey. So that is all....just so you Hawkeyes know, we are looking forward to beating your ass next year. :)

Last edited:
Die hard Husker fan here. 34, so old enough to relish our past dominance, but also appreciative of the fact that the allure of Husker fandom has lost its luster.

Last year, visiting family in Northeast Nebraska over Thanksgiving, my Dad had the idea of driving 6 hours east for the NE vs. IA game at Kinnick Stadium. We bought 50 yard line tickets and it was a great experience.

Came to your Rivals board to note that not all Husker fans are completely entitled asshats. I played college football with a lot of Iowa natives and Hawkeye fans.

My Dad and I much enjoyed our trip to Iowa City and we joined an Iowa tailgate and they were very kind and we shared a bunch of beers before the game. Nebraska has a ways to go before we are relevant again, but we feel like we have the right guy in Frost (well at least most of us do), and it is coming if we have patience.

I have a great deal of respect for the Iowa football program under Ferentz, and the impact he has on young men and their journey. So that is all....just so you Hawkeyes know, we are looking forward to beating your ass next year. :)
6 in a row in 2020!!!

Nebraska fans are interesting to me in that I hear many times how great they are to the opposing fans and one should be expecting to be welcomed and treated well. However, there is a major sense of delusion as they cannot get over their former past and loss of elite status. My boss is a HUGE Husker fan but is a great guy and I believe likes Iowa enough (definitely no hate). He agreed it was a shame it wasn't 1997 anymore. They have fallen far but have the infrastructure to be pretty good again. Just maybe not as dominant but who can argue with them always packing the house? Iowa impressed Hayden by how the fans packed the stadium with a losing record. Nebraska will be back but maybe more like a good program but not elite.

Good post. There is no way Nebraska will ever be as dominant as they were from 70-2001. Way too much has changed with the rules and there is just too much parity. There are plenty of delusional NU fans, but I think if you talk to most NU fans they are pretty realistic, and are just hoping for 8-10 win seasons with an occasional big season (much like Iowa has enjoyed).

Most Husker fans IN LINCOLN are very nice. They are pretty good hosts. I've never been treated badly around the stadium, or even the downtown bars. Once you go outside the city limits of Lincoln and they aren't as nice anymore.

Most Husker fans IN LINCOLN are very nice. They are pretty good hosts. I've never been treated badly around the stadium, or even the downtown bars. Once you go outside the city limits of Lincoln and they aren't as nice anymore.

This has been my experience as well. When visiting the tailgates the fans have been respectful, and enjoyable (except wisconsin...they're true asshats) It's the fans outside the university locations where the real hate begins. The message boards are the worst places to find "respect" for the opposing teams.

I love the growing rivalry brewing between the programs. Both are relatively close in proximity, share a border, and a passion for football. One side has head great success in a window of their history and the other has had a steady moderately successful program for nearly 40 years.

I remember when Neb was joining the B1G back in 2011. Coming off Big 12 championship game appearances, the move to the B1G was supposed to be ‘easier’ for them. They all believed that, they all bought in to that...but it hasn’t been the case.

And for a tradition rich program (NC’s, Heisman winners) that’s a tough pill to swallow. It’s still hitting a lot of them like a ton of bricks.

Being in the same class or outclassed by Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU...ouch. But, that’s the reality. And real life sucks sometimes.

I remember when Neb was joining the B1G back in 2011. Coming off Big 12 championship game appearances, the move to the B1G was supposed to be ‘easier’ for them. They all believed that, they all bought in to that...but it hasn’t been the case.

And for a tradition rich program (NC’s, Heisman winners) that’s a tough pill to swallow. It’s still hitting a lot of them like a ton of bricks.

Being in the same class or outclassed by Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU...ouch. But, that’s the reality. And real life sucks sometimes.
poor bastidges aren't in the same class as IOWA and it kills them. wisky? debby is further behind them than we are. they have the solich/pelini curse.

This is how I saw it going down...it was enjoyable when they came to the B1G, because most knew they would soon be tasting bitter reality. The B1G was not the same as the B12N...and it was clear to anyone paying attention that Nebraska was in for a rude awakening. They want out...some admit it, some only privately, and very few still truly hold on to the belief that they will dominate in this league.

I like them in the B1G...I like the border rivalry, I like the notion that we get to right a wrong for those that had to live through their run in the 90s. I hope they stay, but a fitting end would be to some day see them whimper off with their tail between their legs to rejoin the B12, full well knowing that the 90s would've never happened had they played in a competitive league.

Last edited:
They needed a bad no call against NW at home to survive and win...and a late comeback against Illinois (when Illinois was struggling early in the year) to get those 5 wins. In a year they lost to Indiana and Purdue.

They have a steeper uphill climb than I think a lot of their fans realize. 2020 recruits or last years class getting a year older isn’t fixing it any time soon.

It baffles me how many Nebraska fans still think Frost is the "right guy" to turn around their program. If he wasn't an alum, with his coaching experience and arrogance, I don't think Nebraskans would have that same thought process. Many of his recruits have somewhat checkered pasts and the team appears to play quite undisciplined (yapping on defense after allowing chunks of yardage to be gained)...which could be nipped in the bud, if the head coach wanted to. Makes me wonder if Frost condones such 'thug' behavior?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT